Paleo tweaks

Options
So, as a type 2 diabetic I am tweaking my diet to lower my intake of bread, pasta, rice and white potatoes to lower my carbs.
I am not going keto, more of a paleo lower carb high protein route.
Any tips, tricks, links for alternatives would be appreciated.
Also feel free to add me. UK based

Replies

• missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Not sure if it adheres to paleo, but spaghetti squash is a popular alternative to pasta. It's also delicious in general.
  • maureenkhilde
    maureenkhilde Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    A word of caution on the Paleo. First I have some Paleo cookbooks, and have changed some of the recipes. The big thing with Paleo to me is the fact it does push non-processed food. That does not equal out to low carb. Example I was looking at a recipe online that stated Healthy no bake cookie. All natural ingredients, they are not overly large. 9 grams of fat, 3 grams of protein, net carbs, 10. That is not low carb to me. I changed it a bit by using a different sweetener than honey. With most Paleo recipes I find I need to take the ingredients and either enter here MFP or another calculator to actually find the breakout of fat, carbs, and protein. As most cookbooks, nor the sites on the internet seem to five that info. Good Luck.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    As a type II diabetic, I just eat mostly simple, home cooked foods, keeping the focus on protei and veg. I snack on nuts, cheese and cured meats, with veg if I am at home. I also.keep a protein and fiber bar with me to avoid stopping for restaurants if life throws me.a curve ball. I plan meals out ahead of time. I keep grains and fruit to maybe once a day, but not every day.

I certainly can't be bothered with any made up rules about what our ancestors may or may not have eaten. Peanut butter is fabulous!
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    Paleo has no specific macros, it's just generally anti dairy, legumes, and grains, for which there is no real reason.

It's not a bad diet, and if that means eliminating trigger foods (it doesn't for me), it might be useful.

I eat moderate to lower carb a lot of the time and rarely eat bread or rice since I just don't care about them, so decided why waste calories on them. I do eat occasional potatoes and occasional pasta and more beans. I also eat lots of veg and also eat fruit most dairy. (I also eat dairy.)

I did paleo for a while, though, before I decided it was based on incorrect claims and unhelpful for me (as I don't overeat any of the banned foods but for cheese and I could work on moderating cheese). Also, it tended to mean I had to eat more meat than I like to get protein, since it cut out legumes and dairy.

For me, it was never useful to think in terms of substituting for the banned foods. Just add more meat (or egg), more (and a greater variety of) veg. Since paleo is fine with some starchy veg (potato in most versions, but always sweet potato, and certainly root veg and winter squash), eat those. Eat multiple servings of other veg, eat fruit. Have some nuts.