Help: Exercising for Dizzy People

Hi there, I'm wondering if anyone has some suggestions for extremely light exercise. I know "extremely light" won't exactly amount to many calories burned but I'm getting frustrated by being unable to go for a run or low impact aerobics or even inverted yoga poses.

A bit of background: I get dizzy/ light headed/ faint really easily. It's been like this for over a year now. My doctor doesn't know what's up but she's trying. All I know is my BP lately is really low, though it's usually within the range of normal. So I've been told to take it easy but I'm getting restless.

I have a toddler and can't play with him like I'd love to. I'm hoping that doing something really light will slowly allow me to handle exercise that I used to enjoy before this whole dizzy chapter started. The weight has crept up since this started as I'm stuck sitting down most of the time and that's really contributing to my restlessness.

Any advice would be appreciated :)

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    First, I would recommend seeing a cardiologist, also, if you have some type of hypotension, increasing salt will improve things.
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    Seated/recumbent exercises to start off with; work up to emphasize/prioritize leg & core training
    Consume adequate salt, electrolytes, fluids

http://www.dysautonomiainternational.org/page.php?ID=43
  • klerkskc
    klerkskc Posts: 16 Member
    PsuLemon, a visit to a cardiologist is in the works thankfully.
    Keto_Vampire, thank you for the link!
  • Debster634
    Debster634 Posts: 53 Member
    If it doesn't end up being related to your blood pressure has your doctor mentioned an inner ear issue? I know how you feel as I wake up dizzy many mornings and it's hard to enjoy regular life when you feel that way. A physiotherapist can help with the ear thing as it is a result of crystals in the inner ear causing a person to feel off-balance. Like the other suggestion, stationary exercise like the bike works, sometimes the rowing machine?
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,835 Member
    Have you and your Dr looked into various aspects of vestibular disorder. Vestibular disorder encompasses many different aspects and diseases. You can read more about it here:

https://vestibular.org/understanding-vestibular-disorder/symptoms
    klerkskc wrote: »
    A bit of background: I get dizzy/ light headed/ faint really easily. It's been like this for over a year now.

Did you have a head injury about a year ago?