Fitbit HR calories

Options
So pulled out my Fitbit, reset it, got the app., sync it to mfp, and wore it for a bit to see if it was working correctly. Seemed to be working, but my calories on it burn (estimate) is high! I know the more out of shape you are the more you burn at first, but really? How accurate are calories burned on fitbits? I was looking into the Charge 3 for future purchase.

Also why don't my calories burned load to mfp? Only my steps were loaded.

Replies

• Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    I have the charge 3 and find it pretty accurate. Figured out I can eat 2400 calories and still lose at least a pound a week. More food= YAY! I go off my weekly average to figure out my daily deficit. Best way is to test it out. Eat X amount of calories and see if you lose
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    So pulled out my Fitbit, reset it, got the app., sync it to mfp, and wore it for a bit to see if it was working correctly. Seemed to be working, but my calories on it burn (estimate) is high! I know the more out of shape you are the more you burn at first, but really? How accurate are calories burned on fitbits? I was looking into the Charge 3 for future purchase.

did you reset it and put in your weight now and all that? it will probably take time to "get to know" you again. which may be why its high. as for only counting steps it should also show calories burned from exericse. maybe take a pic and post it so we can see what you mean?
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options

Remember it is showing you a total calorie burn (including resting calories). Every 15 mins you will get XX calories to account for your BMR (resting calorie burn). These will be applied to your Fitbit account even if the device itself isn’t turned on. Any activity will add to that.
    So the calorie burn you saw was all your resting calories from midnight to whenever you looked at it plus any activity calories.

You will only get additional calories from Fitbit on MFP if your Fitbit calorie burn surpasses MFPs estimate.

For example, MFP estimates I burn 1900 calories a day. To see extra calories my fitness tracker calorie burn has to be over 1900. If I don’t burn at least 1900 I will either see no adjustment or I will lose calories if Negative adjustments is enabled.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,070 Member
    Options

Just an aside: You don't burn more calories when out of shape. (It feels harder when out of shape, and your heart rate may be higher and make a fitness device over-estimate calories accordingly, but those are misleading.)

The amount of work being done determines the number of calories burned (it's physics), not the fitness of the person doing that work. For exercises that involve moving your body through space, having a heavier body means burning more net calories, though.

Give yourself credit! ;)

Fitbits (or any other device) don't measure calories burned, they estimate calories using algorithms (computer programs) based on research, plus measurements of your arm movements (from accelerometer), speed/distance (if they have GPS), altitude change (if they have altimeter), and heart rate (if they have heart rate monitor).

Decent ones will estimate calories quite accurately for most people, who are close to average of the underlying research. But they'll be further off for a few people, who are less average. A month or so experience, while logging foods, will tell you how close your Fitbit is for you. It's likely fairly close. ;)

Best wishes!