Healthy low- or no-calorie snacks: suggestions, please!

Options
I am just starting with myfitnesspal, have done Weight Watchers in the past, but substituting this for that in 'points' seems needlessly complicated now. 1200 calories (my max for each day) seems a bit brutal, but I am motivated and the first week has gone well. Can anyone give me some ideas for low- or no-calorie snacks? I'm a vegetarian and raw carrots or celery as a snack just isn't enough...popcorn? Help please-- and thank you, too!

Replies

• Fatty_Nuff
    Fatty_Nuff Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    No calorie snacks? I can only think of ice cubes.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Fatty_Nuff wrote: »
    No calorie snacks? I can only think of ice cubes.

I was going to say water
  • alicebhsia1
    alicebhsia1 Posts: 82 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    i find plain cut radishes a nice low calorie snack. a little zingy.. i also like the small green jarred manzanilla olives. only 5 calories per olive and you only need a few to feel like you ate something. pickles can be a nice snack too. i have a nice recipe for asian garlic cucumber pickles (no canning necessary) if you'd like it.
  • maureenkhilde
    maureenkhilde Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Black olives 4 for 20 calories. Sodium 137. I often have 12 in a day. So 60 calories in total, this is for large pitted.
  • valerieellmer
    valerieellmer Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Please share the Asian pickle recipe Alice
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I am just starting with myfitnesspal, have done Weight Watchers in the past, but substituting this for that in 'points' seems needlessly complicated now. 1200 calories (my max for each day) seems a bit brutal, but I am motivated and the first week has gone well. Can anyone give me some ideas for low- or no-calorie snacks? I'm a vegetarian and raw carrots or celery as a snack just isn't enough...popcorn? Help please-- and thank you, too!

Are you sure 1200 is an appropriate goal for you?
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    Yves veggie dogs in the family pack are 45 calories each. Clementines. Fiber One bars. Roasted chickpeas. Dry cereal (weigh out the portions). Cherry or grape tomatoes. I find it easier to moderate individual frozen treats than a tub of ice cream, so add in popsicles, frozen yogurt bars, some ice cream sandwiches (or frozen yogurt sandwiches), apple sauce, puddings, seaweed snacks...
  • alicebhsia1
    alicebhsia1 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Please share the Asian pickle recipe Alice

3 large cucumbers, peeled, halved lengthwise, seeded and cut into 1/2 inch slices
    finely chopped fresh garlic (about half a medium bulb)
    1 tsp vinegar (i use white)
    1 tsp soy sauce
    1-2 tsp sugar (original recipe calls for 3 tsp sugar)
    1 tsp sesame oil (optional) i usually leave it out but it does add a little extra flavor

so...
    1. prepare the cucumbers and put in a large bowl, sprinkle fairly liberally with salt and let sit 30 minutes until there's a bunch of water in the bottom of the bowl. (i sprinkle a light layer of salt on top and mix then sprinkle again about 3 times total) water should leak out of the cucumbers and take much of the salt with it. then drain and pat dry lightly with a towel or paper towels.
    2. sprinkle on the chopped garlic, vinegar, soy sauce, sugar and optional sesame oil and mix thoroughly
    3. let marinate in fridge for full flavor (i never actually wait and they are still good) keeps for a couple/few days in the fridge (they never last more than a couple days around my house!)

-if you don't salt and drain the cucumbers first there's too much water and it won't have much flavor.. it's an important step. the sugar is pretty necessary to balance the garlic. my mom uses equal sweetener instead but i like it better with sugar-it's a small amount, but if you can't have any sugar, it's not horrible with the sugar substitute) occasionally i make this with cucumbers that are fairly dry and not much water leaks out so if you think your cukes seem dry i'd go a little easy on the salting part) hope you enjoy them if you try it and they come out right!
  • Lkav88
    Lkav88 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    If you have an Aldi, they do nice low calorie snacks for convenience. I’ve just had sweet and smoky chickpea puffs 93 Cals a pack and so tasty!! Suitable for vegetarians and vegans 🙌🏻🙌🏻.
  • JohnnytotheB
    JohnnytotheB Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I find popcorn to be very satisfying - with no butter, oil or salt. You can air pop it with a machine or I've been popping it with no oil in the microwave. I use a 5 cup glass bowl with cover - viola!
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Please make sure 1200 cals is appropriate for you, it is the absolute lowest goal and usually not necessary.

If you set your goal to 2 lbs per week but have less than 75 or so lbs to lose, it's far too aggressive to try for 2 lbs.

If you set yourself to sedentary but typically get more than 3 or 4000 steps per day, you're not really sedentary.

And remember the mfp calorie goal is set low because you are expected to log your exercise and eat back at least some of those calories.

There's no such thing as a no calorie food. Not sure if you eat eggs or dairy, but if you do a HB egg or a string cheese might be an idea. Maybe a non dairy yogurt, or a little hummus on those veggies?

Check out the Most Helpful Posts threads pinned to the top of each forum and good luck!
  • lonelystaarr
    lonelystaarr Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I love pickles (although they are pretty high in sodium, aren't they?), applesauce, apples, oranges...
  • carolinezilboorg
    carolinezilboorg Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all these suggestions! Olives sound pretty good to me... It really helps to have all this positive encouragement!
  • neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    If you like cottage cheese - the low fat variety works well: paprika powder, touch garlic, ground caraway seeds, pepper, salt - sometimes I add a little anchovies or smoked salmon and I always try out different herbs and spices. Use cucumber slices / other veggies to scoop it up. Keeps well in the fridge. You could also try it with some fresh fruit instead of spices.