Vacation HELP!

Options
For the first time since I've started my fitness plan, I will be going on a two week vacation without access to my Bowflex or elliptical. I refuse to let this vacation be an excuse to backtrack, but I also want to enjoy myself. Any tips from those who've been there about keeping up with strength training/cardio while on vacation?

Much appreciated MFP Community!! <3

Noranda

Replies

• Coyoteldy
    Coyoteldy Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Not sure where you are going on vacation.. but most hotels have a "fitness" center where you can get in some treadmill and or elliptical work.. if not make an effort to get out and walk briskly every day even if it is laps around the hotel ground ( I do this).. also remember there is no reason to not enjoy your vacation ( and its yummy food) just make sure to keep within portion range. For example I will order in a restaurant AND ask for a box...half goes in the box before I even start....or I split something with my companions.... it really works!
  • noranda82
    noranda82 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Not sure where you are going on vacation.. but most hotels have a "fitness" center where you can get in some treadmill and or elliptical work.. if not make an effort to get out and walk briskly every day even if it is laps around the hotel ground ( I do this).. also remember there is no reason to not enjoy your vacation ( and its yummy food) just make sure to keep within portion range. For example I will order in a restaurant AND ask for a box...half goes in the box before I even start....or I split something with my companions.... it really works!

Great ideas! Thanks so much!
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Try to make decent decisions, enjoy yourself and get back to it when you get home.
  • IZackV13
    IZackV13 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2010/12/20/the-20-minute-hotel-workout/

Check the above link. Awesome hotel room/resort workout you can pump out and still feel great!
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,670 Member
    Options
    If the hotel doesn't have a gym I'll buy a couple of day passes to a local gym. The hotel should be able to recommend one. Lots of walking about seeing the sights.
  • CARBLEGEND
    CARBLEGEND Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Im about to do 3 weeks in malibu santa monica venice beach and san Diego..3 weeks:) Sooo I eat everything and anything I want...but exercise run gym etc. whenever I can...So I enjoy the vaca and perhaps gain a couple of pounds the SECRET is to not go KRAZY..its funny I have trouble when I am home vacas are not the problem:)
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    For the first time since I've started my fitness plan, I will be going on a two week vacation without access to my Bowflex or elliptical. I refuse to let this vacation be an excuse to backtrack, but I also want to enjoy myself. Any tips from those who've been there about keeping up with strength training/cardio while on vacation?

Much appreciated MFP Community!! <3

Noranda

1) Take bands with you so you can do arms, shoulders, and chest exercises
    2) Planks. Hold each one for 30 seconds at least, more if you can, and do several during the day.
    3) Body squats (use the wall or a chair if you need extra support)
    4) Triceps kick back (use water a bottle water of anything else than you can fit in your hand, or the bands)
    5) The same for biceps curl.
    6) Legs extensions, mountain climbers, roll ups, pushups on the floor or incline (use the bed or at strong piece of furniture)
    7) Go on line and Google body weight exercises. You don't need equipment for them and a 20 or 30 minute circuit workout will be giving you a nice burn.
    8) Take a workout DVD (JM, for example). You can play it in your laptop or a DVD player, if you have one in your room. Or memorize some of her body weight exercises.
    8) Shadow boxing, running man, and skaters for cardio; since doing jumping jacks may affect whoever is staying in the floor below yours.
    9) Brief walk for 20 or 30 minutes, running or jogging, if that is what you do
    10) Portion control. Eat yummy food in moderation. Limit alcohol.
    11) The most important thing that you can do while on vacations is ENJOY, RELAX, REJUVENATE, and came back ready to continued your quest.

Have fun!
  • jonesdav254
    jonesdav254 Posts: 99 Member
    Options

This post is spot on! I travel quite often for my work and refuse to let my business travel become an excuse for NOT staying committed to my fitness plan. When I check in, I ask the staff checking me in to put me in a room that is located near the fitness center. If I pass the center as I'm going to/from my room, it's a great reminder of my need to exercise (and eliminates an excuse for not going because it's too far from my room).

I also look for machines in the fitness center that I may not have access to at home. The variety of trying something new helps give me an incentive to workout.

Lastly, find a time to workout when it won't interfere with the activities you will be doing on vacation. So if your family is going on a site-seeing trip, get up early and get your exercise done. This will prevent them from having to wait on you and you won't feel guilty about going and not exercising.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,670 Member
    Options
    When I'm on vacation I set my calorie goal to maintenance. It does mean I pick up a few pounds as my body repletes glycogen stores but they disappear quickly once I eat at deficit again.
  • thrld
    thrld Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I took the 30DS with me -- it doesn't require much room - all you need is a towel and can subsitute water bottles for weights.
    But no reason why you can't put together a body weight/ hiit workout -- try "the Deck of Cards Hiit Workout" (bonus can use same deck for poker/gin/other vacation games):

Remove the face cards and the aces. Each number card in your deck is assigned an exercise. Choose a card and do the corresponding exercise for 30 seconds. Use 10 seconds it takes select the next card as recovery. Then do the next exercise for 30 seconds.... repeat until you finish the deck or can't do any more. Here's some suggested moves :

2- planks
    3- lunges
    4- distance jumps
    5- bullfrogs
    6- burpees
    7- Pushups
    8- Box jumps
    9- squat jumps

http://fitfilesblog.blogspot.com/2011/11/deck-of-cards-hiit-workout.html