Keto depression

Replies

• NightSky852
    NightSky852 Posts: 7 Member
    I have been on keto for 6 days now. It is my first time. I did already reach moderate ketosis today. I do not have cravings but i did get headaches and i have felt very tired the past few days but today was my first day where i felt energized. I have been on low carbs before, around 50g per day. 2 years ago and it took me 3 weeks to get over the cravings. I was living for the next meal. It is different this time. I am going for 20g max. Neither time did i feel depressed. I think it would be worth trying to do maybe a new activity or go out with friend to see if it gets a little better. You can always rise carbs a little but personally, i would wait a little because of the effort it takes to get in ketosis. You can also consult a doctor maybe have a blood test.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    ssbbg wrote: »
    Here is a Q&A on how dieting/ changing macronutrient ratios can lead to increased depression through modification of serotonin levels.

https://bodyrecomposition.com/nutrition/carbohydrate-intake-and-depression-qa.html/

Which reminds me that one thing that has been found consistently with keto is that it tends to raise cortisol. I wonder if that could lead to the kinds of feelings OP reported, at least in some people? I would think it would be more likely to cause anxiety, but wouldn't rule it out.