Question on Going by Weekly Calorie Goal

When looking at my weekly goal to see how many calories i am under (which I do if some unexpected restaurant meal comes up and I want to reassure myself I have some wiggle room 😂), should I be looking at the net weekly goal or the total weekly goal?

I have a Fitbit charge 2 with a heart rate monitor that I wear daily, and it is synced to MFP and makes adjustments based on my activity.

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    I think weekly is better. I save calories for the weekend meals.
  • RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    I look at the net weekly goal. If I looked at total it would show me way over since I get 300 or more calories per day from my fitbit adjustment.
  • gettingmeback2013
    gettingmeback2013 Posts: 112 Member
    Maybe it's because I am tired but net and total are confusing me. What is the difference between net and total?
  • gallicinvasion
    gallicinvasion Posts: 1,015 Member
    RAinWA wrote: »
    I look at the net weekly goal. If I looked at total it would show me way over since I get 300 or more calories per day from my fitbit adjustment.
    This definitely makes sense to me!
    Maybe it's because I am tired but net and total are confusing me. What is the difference between net and total?
    The total shows you your calories in (how much you ate), while the net reflects what you ate minus your recorded exercise calories or Fitbit adjustment.
  • gallicinvasion
    gallicinvasion Posts: 1,015 Member
    nk9o wrote: »
    never use net.....stay the course

I mean...I think using net would be the definition of “staying the course” because it’s exactly what MFP and your exercise adjustments plan for you to eat in order to stay at your planned deficit. I understand that I don’t want to eat back all the exercise calories due to inflation, but it may be going too far to say that going by net isn’t “staying the course.”

I was thinking of going by the average between the net and the total, since that would be the equivalent of eating 50% of exercise calories, right?