Fall: Depression, the "natural urge" to bulk up & holidays

Options
Hey All -
With Fall approaching way too quickly I'm looking for some tips on how to stay 1. Happy, 2. Healthy and 3. Active during the fall and winter months. Last year this is about the time that I started slipping.

Anyone have any tips on how to stay tough in the Fall/Winter? comfort foods are so much more tempting on dark, cold, depressing days. The temptation of Thanksgiving, Halloween and Christmas doesn't help either :-P

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    embrace IIFYM, then you can still have all the goodies and comfort food that you want, just in moderation!
  • Erica_theRedhead
    Erica_theRedhead Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    Pick a goal to work towards, even if it's not a weight one. There are lots of races that are around the holidays, I know I started to enjoy running by participating in the local Thanksgiving 5K. Also, I find that it's easier to spend more time in the gym cause there is really nowhere else to go in the dark and cold. So start lifting those weights, or take an extra group class. Plus, working out in the snow is way more fun, ice skating, skiing, etc.

I actually have more success in the cooler months. I generally go out drinking less. Also, running in cooler temps is way easier than running in this 100 degree humidity!
  • kavanaghev
    kavanaghev Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I live in the desert, so we don't have trouble in the winter, but we gain summer weight because it's 120 degrees out and miserable. I honestly just give myself a break this time of year. I went from running 3-4x and lifting 2-3x per week and counting calories to running 2x per week and that's it. I didn't lose weight, I may have even gained a pound or two, and I got a little soft from not lifting, but I feel like the time off is good and allows me to appreciate my workouts and how good my body feels when I am "on". As it cools off, I am running a bit more and just lifted yesterday for the first time in a month and a half. I will pick back up because I really dislike laying around and have been itching to get moving.

As for holidays, I allow myself to indulge on the holiday itself (Christmas, Christmas Eve, Thanksgiving, Halloween, New Year's Eve) but otherwise I stick to my calories and workouts! Good luck!
  • nan199678
    nan199678 Posts: 140
    Options
    I agree with Kav. Give yourself the holiday but not several days around it. If you prepare yourself for that, mentally, you're likely to enjoy the indulging much more than feeling guilt. Stay tough lady. Keep yourself busy & reach out when you need to. If you ever need someone to help keep you busy, I'm here. Even if we just go walking, especially in the cooler weather. Because I hate the sweaty stuff! Love you. :-)
  • ReadyToBeMeAt160
    ReadyToBeMeAt160 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I agree with Kav. Give yourself the holiday but not several days around it. If you prepare yourself for that, mentally, you're likely to enjoy the indulging much more than feeling guilt. Stay tough lady. Keep yourself busy & reach out when you need to. If you ever need someone to help keep you busy, I'm here. Even if we just go walking, especially in the cooler weather. Because I hate the sweaty stuff! Love you. :-)

:) definitely gonna be taking you up on that. i'm flashing back to our bleacher walking days lol
  • jdm_taco
    jdm_taco Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    exact same way I do the rest of the year. Holidays should not be an excuse
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    me too, 2 yrs ago I lost 40 lbs, gained back 14 pounds over the holiday and winter months. Ouch, I don't want to do that this year. My plan is to have turkey over the holidays (I went crazy over ham last yr) I hope to be more cautious with the holiday parties. I ate out a lot at Olive Garden over the holidays, also picked up stuff at fast food a lot rushing around so I am going to eat in more this year and make time for it and just not try to go to everything and rush myself so and then I don't have time to plan meals and pick up anything. Hope to do stuff different this year, we will see how it goes. Learn from my mistakes. When people did not show up for the holidays or change plans and stress me out, I hope to go exercise rather than emotionally eat. Maybe a glass of wine might help,lol
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Cooler days means it's more pleasant to go out and go for a walk.

With Fall come all the new tv shows and exciting movies too! I actually can't wait for Fall LOL.I'll probably have to jog in front of some of them to stay active if it's too nasty out though.
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Warm clothing and walking boots so that you can still enjoy long walks at weekends. Use your gym. Maybe lose slower so you've got a bit more for the comfort foods you crave? But most of all - know that what happened last year really doesn't have to happen this year. You've had a fantastic few months, spoiling that for yourself would be more depressing than winter will be x