Morning weight lifting

I lift weights for 75 minutes every morning from 6.45am to 8am.
I physically cannot eat before i train and i'm struggling with energy levels.
I eat well throughout the day and get as much sleep as i can (approx 7 hours).

Ive started to take a Berocca in the morning but not sure its doing anything.

Any advice would be great, thank you!

Replies

• Teabythesea_
    Teabythesea_ Posts: 559 Member
    Do you have to workout in the morning? If you do, then will waking up earlier make you more hungry and able to eat before your workout? Correct me if I’m wrong but Berocca is simply a multivitamin, no? I can’t imagine it would do anything for your energy levels. I’m one of the oddballs that enjoys a large breakfast as soon as I wake up, but I also don’t workout until the afternoon. My snack prior to working out is usually something small and carby, like a banana or toast w/ pb. What about liquids? You can try drinking one of those carnation instant breakfast packets in some milk or in coffee.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    If you want to get some cals in before your workout and can't eat, you can try liquid calories, some juice or smoothies, protein shake. Otherwise coffee or preworkout might help you.
  • janismcquinton
    janismcquinton Posts: 3 Member
    I drink a protein drink before; then drink "spark" from Advocare, (no ups and downs) workout, and have breakfast after my workouts; then continue with my other five meals during the day. Long lasting energy all day.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    I find that having some salt before a fasted workout seems to help, but if this is a new routine it may just take a few weeks to get adapted to the fasted training.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    When is your last meal or snack? If you aren't eating something before bed, you might try doing so. I find that a snack before bed makes pre-breakfast meals go better.
  • melissafeagins
    melissafeagins Posts: 1,421 Member
    Do you have to workout in the morning? If you do, then will waking up earlier make you more hungry and able to eat before your workout? Correct me if I’m wrong but Berocca is simply a multivitamin, no? I can’t imagine it would do anything for your energy levels. I’m one of the oddballs that enjoys a large breakfast as soon as I wake up, but I also don’t workout until the afternoon. My snack prior to working out is usually something small and carby, like a banana or toast w/ pb. What about liquids? You can try drinking one of those carnation instant breakfast packets in some milk or in coffee.

I wouldn't put the carnation in coffee. In my experience it curdles. Tastes okay, hut looks gross.
  • Teabythesea_
    Teabythesea_ Posts: 559 Member

I wouldn't put the carnation in coffee. In my experience it curdles. Tastes okay, hut looks gross.

It doesn’t curdle for me, but I also don’t put the powder directly into the hot coffee. I mix the powder with a little water or milk first then pour it in. I also make hot chocolate with it the same way but with hot almond milk. You can also use protein powder in the same fashion, depending on the brand. :)
  • K_EDSwarrior
    K_EDSwarrior Posts: 17 Member
    Thanks everyone, you can tell I'm new to this :-)
    Yep have to work out in the morning, its the only time that works for my schedule. I've always seen protein shakes as a something for people with more muscle...but ill give it a go.

This is an intense learning curve...appreciate all the advice, thanks!
  • TrishSeren
    TrishSeren Posts: 587 Member
    75 minutes of lifting a day for a newbie is pretty intense, no wonder you're exhausted. I've been lifting for nearly 12 years and never done a 75-minute lifting workout in my life.

How many rest days do you have?
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    I wonder how much of it is mental?

But to your question... try a few more calories later at night and/or some caffeine in the morning (even if it's just a caffeine pill with a small sip of water).
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    TrishSeren wrote: »
    75 minutes of lifting a day for a newbie is pretty intense, no wonder you're exhausted. I've been lifting for nearly 12 years and never done a 75-minute lifting workout in my life.

How many rest days do you have?

This. I have been lifting for a while now and I do my workouts in 45-60 mins tops. Not sure why you need to work out for 75mins? Do you cardio as well as lift?

• azzeazsaleh5429
    azzeazsaleh5429 Posts: 77 Member
    I am split 30 mins cardio and about 60 minutes strength training. Ill sneak a banana between cardio and strength training but I was told it would be much better with a protein drink. Either way I am able to keep energy levels up doing it this way. Oh and before I do cardio I try to get 100 calories of a fruit or eggs or something.
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    I lift at 530/6am one day a week (usually about a 2 hr session b/c that's deadlift day). I do have some toast before I leave the house just to get some calories in.

I bring a granola bar to eat towards the end...once I switch from heavy lifts to accessory work.
  • tonyfastz06
    tonyfastz06 Posts: 35 Member
    I throw some "Carbion" from Allmax into my intra-workout BCAA drink and i'm good!!! I also weight train very intensely each morning from 5-6:30 in a fasted state 6 days a week.
  • THS2HASPASSED
    THS2HASPASSED Posts: 1,055 Member
    Any intra-workout carb will help. Drink throughout your workout and ot will fuel you through. Eat something after your workout. I left from 4am to 6am daily myself.
  • K_EDSwarrior
    K_EDSwarrior Posts: 17 Member
    Thanks again everyone.

To answer the question re: schedule. I've been in and out of the gym most of my adult life...I've picked it up and put it down during periods of needing to shift some weight, so my focus when exercising has always been weight loss. Its been an emotional thing blah blah blah...anyhoo...now im in a better place and am happy with my weight and my view on nutrition. I have Ehlers Danlos Syndrome which effects connective tissue as my body doesnt make collagen in the way it should. I have found that strengthening my muscles has helped with the constant pain.....and im loving how i look with more muscle...hence why even though I've been a regular in the gym, lifting heavy weights is new to me...i was a cardio bunny before.

My plan from my PT consists of a warm up and then 4 exercises....for example my Monday is SSB Squats (6 sets), Deadlifts (4 sets), Leg Press (3 sets), Walking lunges (3 sets). This seems to take between 60-75 mins...and i might add in some abs if i have time.

Im going to try a banana or protein bar for the next few days and then ill look for a suitable protein drink over the weekend. Thanks for all your advice everyone!!
  • carlosgap5
    carlosgap5 Posts: 1 Member
    bulletproof coffee to me is the best pre workout that exists; however you should take care of your daily amount of fat
  • cyndit1
    cyndit1 Posts: 170 Member
    if you have issues in the morning with eating before work outs (I do as well) I use casein protein at night just before bed.
  • chunky_pinup
    chunky_pinup Posts: 758 Member
    Thanks again everyone.

To answer the question re: schedule. I've been in and out of the gym most of my adult life...I've picked it up and put it down during periods of needing to shift some weight, so my focus when exercising has always been weight loss. Its been an emotional thing blah blah blah...anyhoo...now im in a better place and am happy with my weight and my view on nutrition. I have Ehlers Danlos Syndrome which effects connective tissue as my body doesnt make collagen in the way it should. I have found that strengthening my muscles has helped with the constant pain.....and im loving how i look with more muscle...hence why even though I've been a regular in the gym, lifting heavy weights is new to me...i was a cardio bunny before.

My plan from my PT consists of a warm up and then 4 exercises....for example my Monday is SSB Squats (6 sets), Deadlifts (4 sets), Leg Press (3 sets), Walking lunges (3 sets). This seems to take between 60-75 mins...and i might add in some abs if i have time.

Im going to try a banana or protein bar for the next few days and then ill look for a suitable protein drink over the weekend. Thanks for all your advice everyone!!

I opened this the day you posted it and was curious about your user name, but didn't want to pry. I have EDS too, and can really only workout first thing in the morning most days. I'm a powerlifter, and it's HARD for me to eat in the morning. I usually do a shake and banana...and that's really all I can take without feeling sick. Try to start with something more liquid than solid food if it's hard for you to eat in the AM. Once you've gotten used to that, try to add something small. For me, a banana is my cut off. Anything more makes me super ill.