Am I being unrealistic? Very discouraged.

Options
I’m really feeling discouraged but my husband says I haven’t given it enough time.

It’s been about 2 1/2 weeks since completely overhauled my nutrition and exercise regime. But I haven’t noticed anything. No weight lost, no inches, not even centimeters. The only thing that has changed is I mentally feel better.

Everything I read says I should be seeing something by now. I only want to lose between 7-10 lbs. I try to keep my macros right on point which I usually do. I’m typically within 1-5% of what my macros should be.

Before I changed my diet I was literally eating fast food and junk food every single day for every single meal. So I kinda thought that changing my diet and actually working out would give me quick results. What the heck? I’m so discouraged.

I do 20 minutes of HIIT on the tread mill 3x week and do weight training 5x week. I burn between 400-800 calories depending if I’m doing HIIT that day or not.

Don’t judge my fitness pal diary. I don’t log all my exercise and never log my water intake. Other than that, I log every food I eat. Even if it’s a half a tablespoon of bbq sauce.

Anyway, I honestly have no clue what I’m doing wrong.

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    ^^What she said.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    Patience is key. I lost my last ten very slowly (.25 to .33 lbs per week) and the scale only moved every three weeks since it was masked by normal fluctuations.
  • Nokt2018
    Nokt2018 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    ^^What she said.

Yep.

3x per week of HIIT AND 5x per week weights? Not even a little recovery time in there. Hint: recovery is when the magic happens . Your body is going to be stressed multiple ways when doing a lot of exercise and carrying a calorie deficit along with it.

When your body stresses, hormones take action and your body starts using water for repair (that water weight is - mostly - a good thing). But it also holds water when there is extra stress.

So what I would recommend is:

1. If you want to lose weight, eat at a deficit
    2. Allow recovery time
    3. Allow 6-8 weeks to see results.
    4. Do not under eat (i.e. don't carry a large deficit).

^^ this
  • amamainlove
    amamainlove Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you for you advice you guys! I’m feeling so discouraged. After I had my first baby I got into the best shape of my life. I’ve always worked out and worked out hard.

And sorry I meant to say I do 5x weight training and then 3 of those 5 days I do HIIT with it. So I take 2 days off per week from working out.

Maybe I am going too hard though. It’s just what I’ve been use to in the past.

• thisPGHlife
    thisPGHlife Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I agree with what everyone has said so far. I just wanted to highlight that for women, because of our cycle and hormones, if you are not post menopausal then it may be more like six weeks before you really see a change. Especially since you have so "little" left to lose. Some people at the point where you are at only see a change in the scale once a month. I agree that patience is the best course right now. On those difficult data remember that no matter what, your mental health is improving.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,611 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Don't overdo your deficit. Use a weight trend application. Be mindful of expected water weight variations caused by hormones, exercise and other expected issues.

Feeling better is not a minor win either....

Also ask yourself if you're overdoing it. This should be a self improvement project; not something that feels punishing.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    Thank you for you advice you guys! I’m feeling so discouraged. After I had my first baby I got into the best shape of my life. I’ve always worked out and worked out hard.

And sorry I meant to say I do 5x weight training and then 3 of those 5 days I do HIIT with it. So I take 2 days off per week from working out.

Maybe I am going too hard though. It’s just what I’ve been use to in the past.

The exercise is new, yes? I gained 7 pounds when I started lifting weights. Came off in a few weeks.
  • LynnJ9
    LynnJ9 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    w7dlga76lmme.jpg

I've missed seeing this flow chart!