One more into the fray.

Hey all, looking for friends and motivators,

My names David, I'm a 3D artist in Austin, TX. Love gaming, animation, art, and movies. I've always been a big guy and at my heaviest at 396(i believe i was at 400 at some point but i started dieting before i got a scale that could weigh me). I started dieting 3 weeks ago with a Semi Soylent diet, basically replacing 2/3 of my meals with Soylent but having a normal lunch or dinner to satisfy any cravings. Currently this seems to work as i'm at 384 now.

Honestly I'm to afraid to do any weight lose surgery so I'm trying hard to make this count

feel free to add me!

Replies

• snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Welcome to MFP, David!

Have you set up MFP to calculate your caloric needs for weight loss? Curious as to why you went the Soylent route.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Welcome!

When you get a chance, check out the Most Helpful Posts threads pinned to the top of each forum, lots of great info there. :drinker:
  • Roarmiaka
    Roarmiaka Posts: 25 Member
    edited January 2019
    Welcome to MFP, David!

Have you set up MFP to calculate your caloric needs for weight loss? Curious as to why you went the Soylent route.

Yes and its set to 2500, So generally ill have between 2000-2400 by end of day. Main reason i like Soylent is because i hate cooking. I'm constantly working over time and anything i cook tastes terrible. Which is one reason i gravitate towards unhealthy frozen or fast foods. with Soylent, its filling and im able to easily know how much nutrition and calories i get per drink
  • lonelystaarr
    lonelystaarr Posts: 221 Member
    Wow, I never heard of that diet before. Interesting! Nice to meet you David. I'm Monica. You got this!
  • Roarmiaka
    Wow, I never heard of that diet before. Interesting! Nice to meet you David. I'm Monica. You got this!

Thanks Monica! Nice to meet you too! I guess its just a simple Calories in and Calories out diet but shakes are simple for me to calculate. Plus for the one regular meal i have a day im not sacrificing my favorite foods
  • kimny72
    @Roarmiaka Just wanted to add, since I noticed you are under-shooting your calorie goal... Because of where you're starting from, you can probably lose faster than MFP's limit of 2 lbs per week safely. But if you find yourself struggling at all, it wouldn't hurt to allow yourself a few more calories for a week here or there to give yourself a break. Rapid weight loss can be stressful on the body and on your mood, even if it's called for. And a controlled break every once and awhile is a lot better than hitting the wall and flaming out :smiley:

Might not be a problem for you personally, but we see a lot of peeps who go super aggressive and end up quitting rather than just slowing down for a bit, so I figured it was worth a mention...
  • Roarmiaka
    kimny72 wrote: »
    @Roarmiaka Just wanted to add, since I noticed you are under-shooting your calorie goal... Because of where you're starting from, you can probably lose faster than MFP's limit of 2 lbs per week safely. But if you find yourself struggling at all, it wouldn't hurt to allow yourself a few more calories for a week here or there to give yourself a break. Rapid weight loss can be stressful on the body and on your mood, even if it's called for. And a controlled break every once and awhile is a lot better than hitting the wall and flaming out :smiley:

Might not be a problem for you personally, but we see a lot of peeps who go super aggressive and end up quitting rather than just slowing down for a bit, so I figured it was worth a mention...

Unfortunatly that has happened to me before, i went to a weight lose clinic 5 years ago when i was 350, had very rapid weight lose to 320- 315ish in just a few weeks. Mainly cause i was being a bit stupid, the program gave you high protein food to supplement meals. However i basically ONLY ate what they gave me and was able to cause they gave me medical appetite suppressants. so my weight lose was rapid. However due to financial issues i had to quit of the program. I was pretty disheartened and of course my depression kicked back in and said "F it". Went back to my old ways of eating.

This go around im trying to just to take it "slowish" Make sure im not damaging my body by surviving on a mostly liquid diet and not deprive myself of my wants (Friday is Pizza day for being good the rest of the week) haha

Of course at my weight exercise can extremely hard, most treadmills dont support my weight and i work 12 hours a day most days, so i bought an activity tracker (fitbit) and trying to at least hit 5000 steps a day (had to skip a few due to blisters) as a starting goal.
  • kimny72
    Awesome. Just keep learning, that's all you can do!