Eating back calories

So i recently stopped logging exercise and just go by what my fitbit is slotting in. I work a desk job and usually go over cals which is why i have it set low. My question is..i know they say to eat less than what you burn in a day. Fitbit has me at 2000 for cals burnt today and gave me this back. Should i be eating these back where its not really putting me under this way? If not i find it tough and go over in cals by about 100 but..

Replies

• KristaMac88
    KristaMac88 Posts: 163 Member
    I just realized my picture doesnt seem to be posting. So it was of my normal cals given of 1250 + 284 in exercise cals given by fitbit. Fitbit showing cals burnt for the day being 2000.
  • BMcC9
    BMcC9 Posts: 4,364 Member
    There is a "Popular Group - Fitbit Users Group" always seen at the top on the right when you go to the Community tab.

This sounds like the kind of thing that might be in their FAQ list ...
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,129 Member
    xbyskdfw0euz.jpg
  • Dilvish
    Dilvish Posts: 398 Member
    You must exercise really hard or for a really long time. I do 90 minutes of "water walking" at the local pool and I only burn 528 cals. I'd have to water walk for almost 4 hours to burn 2000 calories!

Is your fitbit including TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure) in that number? Meaning what you burn just sitting, standing, cooking, showering, breathing, eating etc.

I personally don't eat back my exercise calories because the energy expended doing exercise is never very accurate because it is based on an "average" individual.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,129 Member
    edited January 2019
    Dilvish wrote: »
    You must exercise really hard or for a really long time. I do 90 minutes of "water walking" at the local pool and I only burn 528 cals. I'd have to water walk for almost 4 hours to burn 2000 calories!

Is your fitbit including TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure) in that number? Meaning what you burn just sitting, standing, cooking, showering, breathing, eating etc.

I personally don't eat back my exercise calories because the energy expended doing exercise is never very accurate because it is based on an "average" individual.

To the bolded, even if it's inaccurate, an inaccurate calorie burn is still going to be more accurate than 0.

It's easy enough to figure out how accurate it is by reviewing your expected weight loss vs your actual weight loss over a 4-6 week period.
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    I just realized my picture doesn't seem to be posting. So it was of my normal cals given of 1250 + 284 in exercise cals given by fitbit. Fitbit showing cals burnt for the day being 2000.

so when you synch your fitbit to myfitness pal it adds 284 calories. I would maybe eat 50 of those, many eat back half as it's ofter over estimated. for 285 i would probably not bother eating back. but at 500-600 i would eat back half.

the 2000 is total calories so it has a different starting point than MFP. (and MFP gives you what you need to loose).
  • LakeCountyDiver
    LakeCountyDiver Posts: 50 Member
    That's probably estimating the total calories you but all day just by being alive. If you are asking should you eat back 2000 calories a day on top of what you are allowed with MFP? I would have to say NO!

Like the other member said, go check out the Fitbit user side. That's a whole different animal then just MFP logging.

Good luck
  • KristaMac88
    KristaMac88 Posts: 163 Member
    No definitely not wanting to eat back the 2000 aha i get thats from everything through the day. It was more towards the "exercise" calories its giving me back. I have gone over and checked out the fitbit page. Its just all so confusing lol Ill figure it out as i go i guess and if im losing or not!