Runners - Anyone experience stomach cramps after a run?!

Heyyy all my runner MFP folks!

I wanted to see if any of you have run into the same issue as me after a run. About 15 minutes after any 3+ mile run I experience really bad stomach cramps - like pretty severe. Those are the only real symptoms.

Any workarounds? Tips? Tricks?

Pre-run food: Usually half an apple and 1 tbls peanut butter
Post run: Water & protein powder
Pace: ~11 mins/mile

I really love running but I'm afraid this is a bit of a deterrent to do so.

Thanks!
-Sarah

Replies

• chelny
    chelny Posts: 179 Member
    I had stomach issues this summer, and I never had before. One time I'm pretty sure the problem was that I had sweated out too much salt. Drinking water post-run was making me sicker (stomach cramps & nausea). Drinking some gatorade/electrolytes made me feel better. Are you plenty hydrated before running?

The other possibility is the food disagreeing with you, or not enough time between eating & then running. I try to eat at least 2 hours before a run. So, if I run in the AM before work, I have to decide whether to eat something or not, because obviously I'm not getting up to eat at 3 am and then run at 5 am. Usually in that case I don't eat first. Everyone is different though. It's usually trial and error to figure out what's going on.
  • norcalichick395
    norcalichick395 Posts: 12 Member
    @ Chelny - thanks for the insight! Glad to know I'm not alone. I've been trying to do trial and error too but the pain as become so bad that I've been avoiding running consistently.

I do try to stay Hydrated prior to running (I aim to drink between 1.5-3 Liters of water a day), but I think the electrolytes may be a good call out. I'll have to give that a whirl and see if the issue resolves.

Thank you!!
  • RunnerGirl238
    RunnerGirl238 Posts: 448 Member
    3 to 4 miles and below i dont eat. Otherwise, i feel terrible.

That apple has a lot fiber. Switch to something less fiberous -banana, dates. May I ask why a protein shake after the run? I bet it has whey or other casein based protein in it. Casein is dairy protein....dairy is my arch nemesis when running.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    have you had the protein powder at any other times than straight after running?

just as an aside, protein isnt the best thing for refuelling (not that you need to refuel after runs less than an hour long) but you want a combination of carbs and protein and personally i need some fat as well.
  • peppermintcaroline
    peppermintcaroline Posts: 151 Member
    I dont eat for at least an hour before I run. And i make sure I'm drinking water but not gulping in large amounts all at once. I tend to cramp and then get diarrhea, so a bit different. Usually when I'm pushing hard, not on just an easy run. Hope you figure it out!
  • norcalichick395
    norcalichick395 Posts: 12 Member
    @ Runnergirl238 - I’ll make the switch to bananas and see if I note a difference. It is whey protein and it sounds like I should make the switch to something else. Even when I do no protein after running the symptoms persist. But I’ll try switching my pre run food and see if that makes a difference. Thanks!

@OldAssDude - good read - I think some may apply. I’ve spoken with my Dr about and there doesn’t seem to be any underlying medical issues so that’s good. I think switching the pre workout diet would help a lot. Thanks!!!

@TavistockToad - I’ll try out a more balanced approach. A nutritionist recommended protein immediately after any workout for muscles but maybe it’s different for running? Thanks for the note!

@peppermintcaroline - sorry you experience the same thing too. I’ll try spacing out my food better. I don’t gulp water either as that makes it harder to run longer. It used to be only when I pushed myself too but now it seems to be every run. I hope we get it sorted. Thanks for the response!
  • beatyfamily1
    beatyfamily1 Posts: 257 Member
    Try increasing your potassium. Eat a bunch of vegetables throughout the day. Low potassium can also contribute to cramps. For me, it didn’t make a difference if I ate or not before I ran. It was after increasing my vegetables that I noticed a huge difference.
  • Vladimirnapkin
    Vladimirnapkin Posts: 299 Member
    Try not eating before you run. The only time I run with food in me (other than gels) is when I am trying to get used to it for an ultra. I make a point to run at least 2 hours after eating so my stomach is nice and empty. You can easily run 3+ miles on the fuel your body carries naturally. Also, unless you are doing a really hard effort, and you need to be prepared for tomorrow's hard effort, you probably don't need a recovery beverage. Have a banana or something more affordable and easier on your stomach.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    i would ask how your hydration is overall. not just during a run. if i'm doing a long run, i try to overhydrate a bit for a few days prior.
    then work on comfortable food for your stomach.
    i used to have a hard time but yogurt works well, peanut butter, honey stinger waffle