Eating under my calories

Options
I have a question that, I am embarrassed that I don't know the answer to. I am trying to lose weight and my daily caloric goal is 1380. If you need a daily 500 calories defecit to lose weight, then should I only be aiming for 880 calories, or is that way too little? I feel like it is. The trouble is I cant reach my caloric goal as it is. If I am a couple hundred calories under goal everyday, will I burn fat and not muscle and still lose weight? Ugh! So confused!

Replies

• MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    MFP already gives you a deficit based on the info you put in. So if MFP gave you 1380 that's already after a deficit, and any exercise calories should be eaten back. If you're having a hard time hitting that 1380 and you're 100% sure of your tracking (using a food scale, picking sound entries) then perhaps throw in some more calorie dense options.
  • mommahendrix
    mommahendrix Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for the input. I guess I didnt consider that MFP would have already added in the defecit. Duh, should have thought of that. Thanks again.
  • witchaywoman81
    witchaywoman81 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    The trouble is I cant reach my caloric goal as it is. If I am a couple hundred calories under goal everyday, will I burn fat and not muscle and still lose weight? Ugh! So confused!

To this point, you should be eating at least your daily calorie goal, in addition to a portion of (or all of, if you like) your calories burned through exercise. Under-eating is a recipe for inadequate nutrition as well as potential binging later.

To lose weight, have you changed your diet drastically? It seems that many people think you have to eat certain foods to lose weight (for example, lean proteins and veggies) and as a result, they have trouble eating to their calorie goal. A better approach might be to eat the foods you’d like to eat when you’re maintaining your weight, so that it’s a lifestyle as opposed to a crash diet. You may also find you have an easier time meeting your calorie goal this way.