Running forefoot and sore ankles

I run forefoot and push off too high on my toes giving me a very high vertical oscillation. How can I correct this? This is in regard to distance running, and I am asking because my ankles are quite sore after a run and after watching a video of myself, I think this might be the problem.

Replies

• lmveilleux
    lmveilleux Posts: 8 Member
    This is a videos from some guys at Running Wild. I watched a lot of their videos when taking up running again after a very long haietus.

https://youtu.be/--YU8YcWeUU
  • Vladimirnapkin
    Vladimirnapkin Posts: 299 Member
    Foot strike issues are very difficult to correct, and even know what is "correct" for your particular mechanics.

I would start by working in some short strides into your runs, a few times a week.

Work on ankle strength (and general running stability and mechanics) with some storks and other activities where you are standing on one leg. Even just balancing on one foot for 60+ seconds can be amazingly useful. (And difficult)

Finally, I would check your shoes to be sure you are in an appropriate type. (Neutral Vs motion control)

Good luck!
  • senor_jeff
    senor_jeff Posts: 47 Member
    Thanks all. Much appreciated
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Run in place (like a high knee drill in football without the exaggerated form) with a focus on landing closer to midfoot and a good cadence (above 170 SPM is typical advice). Once you do that for a minute or two, allow yourself to start drifting forward.
  • BrindleRun
    BrindleRun Posts: 28 Member
    I would look into getting your gait checked at a running store that will also fit you for the best shoes for your running form and foot shape.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    senor_jeff wrote: »
    I run forefoot and push off too high on my toes giving me a very high vertical oscillation. How can I correct this?

It sounds like your calves are overactive (calves point the feet down). Try this calf stretch every 1-2 hours for 30 seconds, to relax them a bit, so your hamstrings & glutes can do more of the propulsion. Allow your heels to touch the ground when you run.

If your ankle pain doesn't improve, you really should see a physio or sports doctor as others advised last week. :+1: