keto - carb total need clarification

NightSky852
NightSky852 Posts: 7 Member
edited January 2019 in Food and Nutrition
i currently have my carbs macro set to 20g. when i look at nutrition tab, i see 2 grams of fiber. my question is this: is the 20g for keto is total like mfp calculates or net carbs (-fiber) so i can go a bit over the 20 grams?

Replies

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    It depends on the entries you chose. In the US and Canada, carbs include fiber, but in most other countries carbs do not include fiber. If you were careful to use USDA information or package information from US or Canadian products, yes, you'd deduct the fiber.

You also don't really need to be below 20 g to be in ketosis.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Either. Some prefer net but others line total. I used total and put fibre next to it. Fibre usually ended up being at least a third of my carbs.
  • SparkyJess3
    SparkyJess3 Posts: 625 Member
    I always subtract my fiber
  • docjess2015
    docjess2015 Posts: 5 Member
    I always subtract my fiber. I’m at 47 carbs today, 28 grams of fiber = 19 net carbs. According to my ketone blood meter, I’m still in Ketosis.
  • Xkmaf2018X
    Xkmaf2018X Posts: 97 Member
    This is new to me...I never knew that you should subtract fiber from your carbs amount...So if say a food has 30g carbs and 10g fiber....would the carbs be 20g?
  • time2change1111
    time2change1111 Posts: 114 Member
    Xkmaf2018X wrote: »
    This is new to me...I never knew that you should subtract fiber from your carbs amount...So if say a food has 30g carbs and 10g fiber....would the carbs be 20g?

Yes. Correct.
  • lemurcat2
    Xkmaf2018X wrote: »

Careful. That's only true if using US entries that include fiber in the carb total. Your profile says you are in England, where fiber is not normally included in carbs. The idea is to count non fiber carbs only, not that fiber gets deducted from other carbs when not included within.
  • NightSky852
    NightSky852 Posts: 7 Member
    i wish we had the option to set it in mfp.
  • lemurcat2
    i wish we had the option to set it in mfp.

If it automatically deducted fiber from carbs for people using European entries, like perhaps the poster above, it would undercount carbs. Also, it's worth having to see how much fiber you are getting, and the math is 1st grade level at most.