Exercising When It's Cold?

How do you deal? I wanna go running but it's freezing...

Replies

• Jayfeather15
    Jayfeather15 Posts: 107 Member
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    What do you mean by "how do you deal"? I dress appropriately. I remind myself that once I get warmed up and have a little sweat going, it's just another run, same as any other, and I'll be glad that I got out. I remind myself that it'll be good for my long-term goals, and probably my own sanity.

Oh okay. I just wanted to know because it can be frustrating...
  • garystrickland357
    garystrickland357 Posts: 598 Member
    I run and cycle in the cold. You have to just acquire the appropriate clothes. Yes, you'll spend some $$ - it is worth it to me. I don't like being cold and I don't think you get extra bada$$ points for being cold when you exercise. The right gear makes it pleasant. Now - what's right for you and the conditions you run in - you will have to figure out. Tell us some more about the conditions you run in (how cold, how far, what intensity) and folks may make some suggestions about what to wear - if that will help you.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,675 Member
    How cold is your cold weather? There are a lot of people who regularly run in sub-zero (F) temperatures. I don't, but I don't live where that kind of cold is normal. When I started running, I wouldn't run if the temperature was below freezing, until I ran a March race where the temperature at the start was 17 and I had no clue what to wear. After that I began expanding my comfort level by going out in colder weather. I learned that once I get moving, I warm up quickly. I've run when the feels like temperature was below 10 degrees and been fine, without needing any expensive new gear. I've also run in a heavy snowstorm and had fun. If I really feel like I can't handle conditions (i.e. icy roads or roads with so much snow there is no way to avoid cars) then I run on the TM.
  • Jayfeather15
    edited January 2019
    How cold is your cold weather? There are a lot of people who regularly run in sub-zero (F) temperatures. I don't, but I don't live where that kind of cold is normal. When I started running, I wouldn't run if the temperature was below freezing, until I ran a March race where the temperature at the start was 17 and I had no clue what to wear. After that I began expanding my comfort level by going out in colder weather. I learned that once I get moving, I warm up quickly. I've run when the feels like temperature was below 10 degrees and been fine, without needing any expensive new gear. I've also run in a heavy snowstorm and had fun. If I really feel like I can't handle conditions (i.e. icy roads or roads with so much snow there is no way to avoid cars) then I run on the TM.

You ran in a snowstorm? Cool. Yeah it's like 40 degrees here, maybe lower. I just walk and jog on my treadmill. I live in a usually sunny and warm climate though.
  • Jayfeather15
    I run and cycle in the cold. You have to just acquire the appropriate clothes. Yes, you'll spend some $$ - it is worth it to me. I don't like being cold and I don't think you get extra bada$$ points for being cold when you exercise. The right gear makes it pleasant. Now - what's right for you and the conditions you run in - you will have to figure out. Tell us some more about the conditions you run in (how cold, how far, what intensity) and folks may make some suggestions about what to wear - if that will help you.

It's just frigid. It's not snowing, it's about 40 degrees here maybe? My treadmill is outside...
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,710 Member
    Layers. I'm a self professed wimp when it comes to the cold but we have very cold and snowy winters here. This winter I've changed my mindset and DECIDED I was going to walk outside whenever I could, meaning barring a blizzard or freezing rain.

By wearing enough layers and a headband to cover my ears I'm able to get out and walk. After about 20 min. my core warms up and I feel fine after that. The cold, crisp air is invigorating and energizing! It's generally 30 - 35 degrees during my walks this time of year.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member

It's just frigid. It's not snowing, it's about 40 degrees here maybe? My treadmill is outside...

Get a thermal base layer and a running jacket, you'll be fine.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    When I lived in Minnesota I went out for a run mornings even in subzero weather or snowstorms. A blizzard--no. If it was extremely icey, frozen rain--no. It was invigorating. As said above, dress for it.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    I live in warm climes, so for the 5 days a year that it is frigid and/or cold rain, I just do exercise videos at home. Yesterday I did about 90 minutes of yoga, plus enough pacing and running in place to convince Google Fit that I got in my heart minutes. That and lots of tea is how I stay warm since SoCal doesn't have proper insulation to keep the cold outside.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member

40* isn't frigid...it's a little chilly and pretty easy to dress appropriately for. 35* is my cutoff point for cycling outdoors...for colder than that or bad weather like rain or snow I either get on my indoor bike trainer or go to the gym and do my cardio there.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    proper clothes. hot drinks. hot baths, puppy snuggles
  • lalalacroix
    lalalacroix Posts: 834 Member
    Yes I regularly hike in temps below freezing, sometimes with very powerful winds. I just dress appropriately. The more difficult the hike, the quicker my body heats up.

I'm not running currently due to tendinitis, but last winter I was also running in cold weather. TBH I really can't stand exercising on a treadmill and prefer the cold to exercising inside.
  • youngcaseyr
    youngcaseyr Posts: 293 Member
    Can you move your treadmill inside? I bought a treadmill in 2017 and it's much easier for me to wake up early to run in the winter when I don't have to face the cold, but it's in my garage.

However, I used to run in anything above 10°F and what everyone else is saying about dressing appropriately and wearing layers is spot-on. If you wear long pants and long sleeves, gloves and maybe a hat or something for your ears you might find that 40° can be quite comfortable and you warm up pretty quickly.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    If you live where it's typically warm and sunny... is this just an unusually cold stretch? What about finding something else to do for these few days, then get back on the treadmill when it warms back up?
  • kaizaku
    kaizaku Posts: 1,039 Member
    Dress appropriately, drink black coffee to get your engine running. Start off by a light jog till you ready to run. Also don't forget to stretch.
  • garystrickland357
    garystrickland357 Posts: 598 Member

For me, when it's 40 degrees, I would wear a base layer top - something like a long sleeve UnderArmour heat gear - or anything similar. Some type of tights or running pants. A light, long sleeve, 1/4 zip running top. If it's windy maybe a vest. Gloves, and some kind of head cover that goes over my ears (my ears get cold).

You'll learn to use layers based on your cold tolerance and the wind that day.
  • Jayfeather15
    Can you move your treadmill inside? I bought a treadmill in 2017 and it's much easier for me to wake up early to run in the winter when I don't have to face the cold, but it's in my garage.

However, I used to run in anything above 10°F and what everyone else is saying about dressing appropriately and wearing layers is spot-on. If you wear long pants and long sleeves, gloves and maybe a hat or something for your ears you might find that 40° can be quite comfortable and you warm up pretty quickly.

No room for it. I went ahead and ran outside. Just have to get acclimated, is all.