This has to be the one that sticks

Hi Everyone. I have been trying to lose weight for 3 years now but nothing sticks. Instead I've gained and need to lose a total of 45lbs to get back to the size I feel most comfortable at. I have fibromyalgia which is the main reason for my weight gain as my ability to exercise has been completely compromised so I turned to comfort eating when the pain was too severe to do anything else. I am raising 4 kids solo so exhaustion hits me by 4pm. I really need to get out of this cycle of quitting diets. Any suggestions on meal plans would really be helpful.x

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Just eat food you like in portion sizes that put you in a calorie deficit. And some fruit and veg for health.
  • greer1205
    greer1205 Posts: 2 Member
    I figured it almost took 3 weeks for me to get my body to adjust to this new way of eating but once it kicks in things seem alittle easier. I do seem to have more energy
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    You're quitting because you're eating in a way that isn't sustainable to your lifestyle. Stop looking for the next best diet. Eat what you want, weigh your food, log it and eat at the calorie limit My Fitness Pal gives you. Aim for .5-1lb of weight loss a week. It will be slow. It will be frustrating. But it will work to keep the weight off for good because you're not eliminating food or eating so little food that you can't sustain it and you're learning to eat correctly
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    I would think less in terms of a plan that requires you to completely overhaul your diet and/or slash calories but rather modifying your current diet to address any health concerns and manage calories. "The best diet is the one a person will stick with".

That being said, most struggle with maintenance regardless of how they get there. As in your situation (which I can relate to, BTW), sometimes life and our emotions get the better of us and we just can't bring ourselves to make good choices for ourselves. All the more reason to have a "plan" that doesn't require constant amounts of willpower, but a collection of good habits that generally have more staying power in the bad times.