Eating Healthy on a Budget

Options
hroderick
hroderick Posts: 756 Member
edited January 2019 in Food and Nutrition
I got this from a spam email, but it contains a lot of good advice.

https://www.healthgrades.com/right-care/food-nutrition-and-diet/10-tips-for-eating-healthy-on-a-budget

A lot of the advice involves planning. And planning failure has repeatedly killed my best diet intentions over the years. In 2018 we've subscribed to platejoy.com and recently signed up for 2019. It gives us optimized recipes and shopping lists each week as easy as ordering from a menu. My only incentive in promoting platejoy.com on these forums is the hope it will help another as much as it has me.

Replies

• zeejane03
    zeejane03 Posts: 993 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    I have a pretty tight grocery budget ($100ish a week for 5 people and 2 cats, and includes non-food items like paper goods, cleaning supplies etc). I get most of my groceries at Aldi-their prices are the best of any store around me, with the exception of Daily Deals (which is an overstock/expired goods outlet and very hit or miss).

Stopped into Aldi this morning and picked up pints of blueberries for 1.79, packages of blackberries .99, grapes for 1.09lb, sprouted whole grain bread for 2.49 per loaf, cans of beans for .48 etc. They also have great prices on fish (packages of frozen, wild caught salmon for under $5).

eta: took a look at the article link and it had good, common sense advice :)
  • amy19355
    amy19355 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I don’t like the idea that someone shares a link from an email they classed as “spam”.

I am not willing to risk clicking that link.
  • zeejane03
    zeejane03 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    amy19355 wrote: »
    I don’t like the idea that someone shares a link from an email they classed as “spam”.

I clicked on it and it was fine, a slide type article with some tips like eating at home more, cutting out non-necessity items like soda, buying in bulk, menu planning etc.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    my husband would probably have a heart attack if he knew how much we spent on groceries (incl paper goods, pet food, etc) a week lol

obviously now, I am able to get what I want without thinking about it, but it wasn't all that long ago when i COULDNT. bulk packages of meats, frozen veg, rice can get you far on under $30 a week for 2.

i still prep and plan our dinners, cause thats how i do things, but making 2 or 3 trips a week to the store isnt uncommon. i change my mind a lot.

lol
  • hroderick
    hroderick Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    amy19355 wrote: »

I wouldn't have shared it if I didn't think it was very good for the topic.
  • shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    I've done two things that have helped me a lot.
    - I take out my entire grocery budget in cash. It has helped me a lot pay attention to what I am spending, you know? But also, if I have money left over, then I just put it toward the next week's grocery budget. If I have money left at the end of 6 months (which has never happened), I plan to put it away into savings.
    - The second thing I did was make a list of all my staples. Oils, flours, certain brands we consistently get. And when I shop, I check them all, to see if any are on a good sale. If I have some of that carried over grocery budget from previous weeks, I can often take advantage of a sale and have a few extra staples on hand.