Trying to determine Activity Level Correctly!

I work at a desk 9 hours a day. I do get up obviously but the majority of it is sitting. Before work, after work and all the other times, I'm moving, cleaning, cooking, running after my son, and exercising.

That being said. How do I determine my activity level correctly?? I really need help with this Please!

Replies

• MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    My guess? Lightly active.
  • capriqueen
    capriqueen Posts: 976 Member
    I would say you are lightly active.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Unlike other systems, MFP doesn't include formal exercise in its calculations as you add it separately. It defines them quite well:

Sedentary: Spend most of the day sitting (e.g. bank teller, desk job)

Lightly Active: Spend a good part of the day on your feet (e.g. teacher, salesman)

Active: Spend a good part of the day doing some physical activity (e.g. waitress, mailman)

Very Active: Spend most of the day doing heavy physical activity (e.g. bike messenger, carpenter)

So I'd stick with sedentary, record your exercise and eat back all, or a good proportion, of your exercise calories. If you're exhausted or hungry all the time after a few weeks, consider changing up to lightly active.
  • hradek
    hradek Posts: 1 Member
    What you describe is Sedentary activity level. Period. All the things you are doing are part of that.
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    If you were on your feet taking care of your house and kids all day, you'd be 'active' by MFP guidelines. Sitting at your desk all day is 'sedentary' by MFP guidelines. Since you have fairly equal amounts of the both, I would average them and call it 'lightly active.'