Help!!!! I need sleep

Options
Ok so since I've been back fully committed to losing weight and getting in shape I'm having trouble sleeping. I've tried herbal sleep aids, hot milk before bed, horlicks ( malted hot drink ), sleep videos on YouTube. Any help with this would be massively appreciated. Any tips would be lovely. Thanks in advance people

Replies

• xDanielleForbesx
    xDanielleForbesx Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    It's just falling asleep in general I'm having the issue with. I'll have a look. Thank you 👍
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    When do you exercise? I can't exercise in the evening because then i'm too wound up and takes me forever to go to sleep.

Other than that, I've found mouth taping to be wonderful for having good solid deep uninterupted sleep. I think I even fall asleep quicker when my mouth is taped than when it's not. Google it.
  • xDanielleForbesx
    Options
    Cahgetsfit wrote: »
    When do you exercise? I can't exercise in the evening because then i'm too wound up and takes me forever to go to sleep.

Other than that, I've found mouth taping to be wonderful for having good solid deep uninterupted sleep. I think I even fall asleep quicker when my mouth is taped than when it's not. Google it.

I don't do any exercise after 3pm as I tend to do it during my hours lunch break but it's just walking at the moment.

I'll look into the mouth tape thing although I don't think it'll work for me as I have trouble breathing sometimes through my nose lol
  • xDanielleForbesx
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    Humans are ritual seeking creatures, so establish one for sleep. Start this at least 30 mins before your chosen bedtime. Pour some tea or similar hot beverage - doesn't matter what this is, so make it something enjoyable and relaxing. Turn off all electronics and go through some manner of mental exercise - read, meditate, review your day, plan the next day, etc.

I highly recommend the book:

Why We Sleep: Unlocking the Power of Sleep and Dreams
    by Matthew Walker PhD

Great. Thank you I'll look into that 🤞
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,912 Member
    Options
    Cahgetsfit wrote: »

Along those lines, I have a thingy to prevent me from grinding my teeth. Sometimes I fall asleep before I put it in. On those nights I don't sleep as well. Perhaps I'm grinding, and that wakes me up.

I got mine custom-fit at the dentist but I've been seeing commercials for over-the-counter versions.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,975 Member
    Options
    My routine is 30-60 minutes before I want to go to sleep I will head to my bed, turn on my lamp, and read. Maybe lighting a couple candles. All the big lights are off, no electronics, and the rule is, once I'm in bed, my phone is put away and I do not look at it except to turn on my music. I have a couple of Pandora stations (I pay for no commercials) with soft, instrumental/nature music, and when I'm done reading, I will turn that on with a 1 hour sleep timer (so it turns off after an hour).

If I'm really struggling I will use an OTC sleep aid, because, I know for me, getting my sleep is paramount to being a productive, functioning adult the next day. Usually this ends up being more of a problem if I'm especially stressed and I know in advance of laying down to read that I probably should grab one - aka, my brain is going in circles no matter what lol.

• elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    take a magnesium pill right before your head hits the pillow.. it relaxes ..wonderful..works.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    CBD oil + magnesium + mouth taping. Don’t spend $$ on the fancy Somnifix strips, just paper breathable medical tape works great.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I downloaded an app called "Calm." It's got a very simple breathing exercise that I use from time to time.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    Another vote for Magnesium (iHerb sell it for a couple of $/£/E). I take it about 20 minutes before bed and sleep much better than I ever did. I also use the Calm app too, the Sleep Meditation and Sleep Stories are fab.
  • MarieRosekenji85
    MarieRosekenji85 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    melatonin, you can buy it at the local pharmacy, our bodies make it naturally already and it works for helping you fall asleep. I take the quick dissolve and I sleep great!
  • xDanielleForbesx
    Options
    Thanks all :) Im on it today to get something to help. Much appreciated
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    melatonin, you can buy it at the local pharmacy, our bodies make it naturally already and it works for helping you fall asleep. I take the quick dissolve and I sleep great!

You can't actually get it in the pharmacy in the UK (where OP is) it's presription only and usually only prescribed to those 50 and over. (You can however order it from iHerb in the states for delivery to the UK)
  • jdog022
    jdog022 Posts: 693 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Borrow my kids for a day. You’ll be so exhausted by 8pm that you’ll sleep like a baby.

But on a serious note any caffeine intake?
  • blinxmarps
    blinxmarps Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I use a good audible book, works every time for me. Good luck.
  • Squish815
    Squish815 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I found that changing my night time routine helped quite a bit.

About an hour before bed (which is around the same time every night) I stop looking at any screens (TV, phone etc), have a herbal tea and read a book. I now fall asleep much easier.

I have also found that making my room as quiet and as dark as can be (yay for blackout blinds!) has helped with staying asleep.