Confused about calorie intake

Hi guys,

I’m a 22 year old female, 163cm (5ft 4) and weigh around 48kg (107 pounds).

I would say I’m skinny fat. I have slim legs but hold fat in my abdominal region and arms. I intend to work out 5 times a week and would like to lose fat and gain muscle.

I don’t know if I should be eating in calorific deficit or surplus?

Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks 😄

Replies

• Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Probably not at a deficit. How about trying for maintenance and working out (what kind of working out?) and see how you go? But give it some time - not one week - more like 4-6 weeks.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    If you eat a surplus, you're going to put on more fat...maintenance and hit the weight room with a good structured program.
  • Marymoha
    Marymoha Posts: 2 Member

Cahgetsfit wrote: »
    Probably not at a deficit. How about trying for maintenance and working out (what kind of working out?) and see how you go? But give it some time - not one week - more like 4-6 weeks.

Mostly weight training with maybe 3 HIIT sessions a week. Thanks!

• davidgruninger
    davidgruninger Posts: 5 Member
    Dont forget about rest days! Especially if your not use to training. Its important to enjoy your days off and not feel guilty. Its easy to burn out.
    I agree with go for maintence and then once your training routine is set then re-assess
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    You are already a few lbs under the healthy weight range for your height, it's doubtful losing weight will help you get rid of the "skinny fat" look you're describing. You are probably undermuscled. Check out this thread:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat/p1