Newbie Runner

Options
I've just started running, and at the moment all I can manage is 7 minutes, with distance 0.55 miles. How can I go about improving this, please

Replies

• spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    Slow down. You'll be able to run farther if you run slower. Couch to 5k (C25k) is a good program for starting running. You start with 30 minutes three times a week of mixed walking and running. Gradually you increase the running portions until you can run for 30 minutes non-stop.
  • jdderrig
    jdderrig Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I tried the C25K but found that I preferred just trying to increase how far I run every week or so.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    jdderrig wrote: »
    I tried the C25K but found that I preferred just trying to increase how far I run every week or so.

What were you results? Are you still running?
    Davinak84 wrote: »
    I've just started running, and at the moment all I can manage is 7 minutes, with distance 0.55 miles. How can I go about improving this, please

I agree with the C25K or similar program. It is very easy to get injured if you go too far and too fast.

Good luck.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Definitely look at c25k
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,489 Member
    Options
    C25K + slow down.
  • Lorraine128
    Lorraine128 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Have a look at Jeff Galloway’s Run/Walk method. Jeff is an experienced runner and coach and loads of folks have had great success with his method. Lots of free resources on his site and internet about the method. Keep getting out there, run a few mins then walk a few mins and you’ll soon build up. Good luck!

http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/run-walk/
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    c25k is the best. I'm on my second round after having two kids in two years. It feels great to know that I can ramp up my running (miles) weekly while still being able to do plenty of walking and catch my breath. Yes, my pace is also quite a bit slower than it will be in a few weeks but right now c25k is where it's at.
  • jdderrig
    jdderrig Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    dewd2 wrote: »

Still running. My goal is 20 miles a week, mostly four mile runs. I don't have an ambition to run anything more than an occasional 10k. I've been running almost 2.5 years now. It was hard for me to do the run walk method....I found that I would just rather run and when I'm done, I'm done.
  • corriepelc
    corriepelc Posts: 2,088 Member
    Options
    I started running around three years ago, and I did what you are doing. I started walking first and then would start adding running into the mix. I would run to a lamp post or a sign in the distance, and then walk again. Eventually I got to the point where I could run 1 mile straight (that was a huge accomplishment!) and I kept going. Now I'm training for my fourth half-marathon.

I honestly didn't know about C25K until after I got to the point where I was already running 3 miles straight, but I've heard they can be very helpful. Women's Running and Runner's World magazines and their websites have been great resources for me, and I know they have training plans.

Definitely start slowly -- you don't want to injure yourself. And if you're not already, make sure to integrate in some strength training. That has been crucial in helping me build strength and stamina, and stay injury-free.

Oh and for motivation, definitely look into running some races in your area. Having a race you're working towards can really keep you going. And virtual races are tons of fun to get started in that! Once you run your first race, you'll be hooked. :D
  • stoked2b
    stoked2b Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I just started running again and I'm now on Week 4 of C25K. Good luck!
  • RunnerGrl1982
    RunnerGrl1982 Posts: 412 Member
    Options

I agree with the C25K or similar program. It is very easy to get injured if you go too far and too fast.

Good luck.

+1

Totally agree about taking it slow. It's very easy to start out pushing your body too much and end up with an injury that sidelines you.

OP - Even though you're only running for 7 minutes as you mentioned above, I'd suggest as you get out and continue to improve your running to make sure you stay hydrated and are hydrated prior to your runs. You'd be surprised the difference it can make.

• dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options

Still running. My goal is 20 miles a week, mostly four mile runs. I don't have an ambition to run anything more than an occasional 10k. I've been running almost 2.5 years now. It was hard for me to do the run walk method....I found that I would just rather run and when I'm done, I'm done.

AWESOME!!!!
  • tibby1971
    tibby1971 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I found C25k boring. I love zombie run. They have zombie run and zombie run 5k. You get a story mixed in with you music and occasionally you get zombie chases where you have to pick it up for a few minutes to out run the zombies.

I get my best 5k times when using that app. 😂😂 the zombies make a difference