High impact exercise when overweight

Options
I've been running as my main workout since I used to enjoy it and I've been pleasantly surprised by how far and fast I can run without losing my breath-- I'm very sedentary, so I didn't expect to be able to go so far without gasping for air.

However, while my lungs are fine, my legs seem to be a different story. I've stopped running for the time being because my inner knees started to really hurt, and became tender and swollen. (Don't worry, I've made a doctor's appointment to get them looked at)

I'm guessing that the amount of extra weight I have (I have a BMI of 30.1) is putting too much mechanical stress on the joints. Should I wait until I'm less overweight before I start running again, or will my knees get stronger to deal with the load/impact the more I run? Anyone have any personal experience?

Replies

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    You should always build up to exercise gradually, your body needs to adjust. Going far and fast without losing your breath without properly building up to the running doesn't just include the lungs/breathing, but you want to avoid risk of injury, this could be muscle strains, inflamed tendons even stress type fractures.

Once you see your doctor discuss with him your plans for exercise and his recommendations for avoiding further compounding of knee related issues you have.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,130 Member
    Options
    I started running at BMI 35 and have had no adverse effects, that said I took a slow and steady approach to building up speed and distance.

Once you've got the all-clear from the doctor, consider doing a program like C25K and building up distance/speed more slowly. Also, make sure you're wearing properly fitted supportive footwear - that can make a huge difference in preventing injuries.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    You should always build up to exercise gradually, your body needs to adjust.

Agreed.

Gait and footwear can matter, too... but always start with the basics and be smart about what you can and can't do, about what your body can and can't handle.
  • shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    Also, I would highly recommend checking out some of the information on how the Tarahumara run. Mostly because most western running gaits are a lot harder on your knees due to how much weight comes down every time you bend your knee (if you push yourself up, then your weight comes down plus a little bit of extra oomph from gravity). The Tarahumara have a way of running that is less bad on your knees - smoother, less up and down.

Although like anything else - you have to start very slowly, still, because the muscles being used are still new to that use. But it can help for future knee issues, in my experience.
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    Options
    shaumom wrote: »
    Also, I would highly recommend checking out some of the information on how the Tarahumara run. Tarahumara have a way of running that is less bad on your knees - smoother, less up and down.

Yes, they do. However, it's very difficult to mimic a running gait that comes naturally to others. In fact, it can cause significant injury. Shortening stride is easier than changing gait.

Slow down. When you think you can't go any slower, go slower. Run slower than you walk if you have to. One mistake I made when I first started running again was to take too long of strides. Check to be sure your feet are falling directly below your body as you run, not out in front of you. This will lessen the impact to your knees and hips. Slow, shorter runs will build your muscles back up which will allow your joints to support your body during runs. Don't add more than 10% distance per week. Muscle endurance and speed will come later.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    glasscast wrote: »
    I've been running as my main workout since I used to enjoy it and I've been pleasantly surprised by how far and fast I can run without losing my breath-- I'm very sedentary, so I didn't expect to be able to go so far without gasping for air.

However, while my lungs are fine, my legs seem to be a different story. I've stopped running for the time being because my inner knees started to really hurt, and became tender and swollen. (Don't worry, I've made a doctor's appointment to get them looked at)

I'm guessing that the amount of extra weight I have (I have a BMI of 30.1) is putting too much mechanical stress on the joints. Should I wait until I'm less overweight before I start running again, or will my knees get stronger to deal with the load/impact the more I run? Anyone have any personal experience?

I have issues with my inner knees as well. My official diagnoses is "Pain with Activity" >.<

I do the exercises I got from my PT regularly and endeavor to be moderate, which for me means no high impact exercises or squats with weights.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Your glutes and hips being weak will cause knee pain in the area you describe. Working with a PT or alternating your running with glute activation/core training will help improve those symptoms and prevent further injuries.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    glasscast wrote: »

MAKE SURE YOUR SHOES ARE IN GOOD SHAPE, and are good for "HEAVY STRIKERS".

Go to the good local running shop (NOT Foot Locker or one of those places) and get properly fitted with shoes that are good for the "Clydesdale Class" (ahem) runner. One of the big mistakes is often to go with flimsy, cheap, or not-up-for-the-pounding shoes, and your knees pay the price.

DO SOME STRETCHING and YOGA.

Your legs, hips, knees, and so on are doing a lot of hard work. Be sure to counteract some of that, and strengthen as well.