Sugar/carbs after Workouts

Options
Hello

I am a distance runner and lift 2-3 days/week. I’ve been struggling with my energy crashing after workouts recently and a friend/trainer told me because of the delayed onset of my symptoms (usually a few hours to a day later), this was most likely due to inadequate nutrition and carbs specifically.

I have been trying to be more mindful of my macros and not consuming excess sugar throughout the day. Most post workout supplements (for instance Ignition by S2) seem to have very high sugar content- like 20g-40g a serving. Is this what my body actually does need after a hard run or lift? Don’t want to get my nutrition too off track, but feeling like crap after tough sessions.....

Any thoughts or experiences appreciated :)

Thanks!

Replies

• beatyfamily1
    beatyfamily1 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    You don’t have to consume that much sugar if you don’t want too but the type of sugar does matter. Dextrose is best if consumed within 30 minutes after your workout. Gummy bears are good too but make sugar it contains dextrose. Dextrose doesn’t have to be digested and directly goes into the muscles to restore glycogen which would help with your energy levels. If you choose not to go that route then you should increase your carbs from food but it will have to go through the digestion process prolonging your ability to recover. What you eat the day before fuels your workout the next day.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    I agree with what the others have said, but will throw this out there just because it hasn't been mentioned...

What about caffeine or other stimulants? I used to get a caffeine/stim "crash" about an hour after certain workouts. I changed my caffeine source and cut back some of the other stimulants and feel much better. I don't know anything about Ignition or S2, but something to consider...
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    knt1717 wrote: »
    a friend/trainer told me because of the delayed onset of my symptoms (usually a few hours to a day later), this was most likely due to inadequate nutrition and carbs specifically.

With that much of a delay, something else is probably the cause, not carbs. The usual culprits are inadequate sleep/rest or calories, or anemia.

To answer your Q, a post-workout supplement is not a requirement, and you probably won't notice a difference if you replace it with a normal meal.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Hello

I am a distance runner and lift 2-3 days/week. I’ve been struggling with my energy crashing after workouts recently and a friend/trainer told me because of the delayed onset of my symptoms (usually a few hours to a day later), this was most likely due to inadequate nutrition and carbs specifically.

I have been trying to be more mindful of my macros and not consuming excess sugar throughout the day. Most post workout supplements (for instance Ignition by S2) seem to have very high sugar content- like 20g-40g a serving. Is this what my body actually does need after a hard run or lift? Don’t want to get my nutrition too off track, but feeling like crap after tough sessions.....

Any thoughts or experiences appreciated :)

Thanks!

Its normal to be tired after a hard long workout, but days later not so much. This sounds more like fatigue and over loadng your system from the exercise and lack of nutrition in general if you are are doing all this while in a calorie deficit, this add to the stressors you are putting on your body as well. What do your rest and recovery days look like?

Eating your normal meal after your running should be adequate enough, if your macro break down doesn't support your running and lifting then you should work with those.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    If nutrition is your problem it's more likely the total number of calories you're eating rather than the composition of those calories. That said, if nutrition is your problem, you'd feel a lack of energy before your workouts too.

Also, define distance? Only reason I ask is that the vast majority of us do not workout enough or perform at a high enough level that we need to focus on perfecting our macros. In fact, even pre and/or post nutrition supplements don't tend to be terribly necessary for most recreational fitness enthusiasts or athletes.

How much do you eat overall (net of exercise) and how much sleep are you getting at night?
  • ragsibobs
    ragsibobs Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    On a long run (13 miles or more), I always have to take energy gels or jelly babies with me because my blood sugar normally starts to drop after about an hour of exercise and I start feeling dizzy and light headed.

Before a marathon I will carb load two days beforehand, where I reduce my fibre and protein intake and focus on carbs.

I had a dietary analysis at a university and I was told that as a female endurance runner I should be eating about 8g of carbs per kg of body weight (I’m assuming lean body weight) for performance (when not on a diet). I don’t eat anywhere near this on a daily basis, but then again I don’t do a lot of endurance running either. How many grams of carbs are you eating the day before a long run? How long are your runs?

My sessions at the moment consists of a lot of HIIT and rowing and an occasional run and are not usually longer then 1 hour. After my sessions now I have a protein shake within 30min of exercising, then get showered and then eat proper food.
  • Bulldogs1717
    Bulldogs1717 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the replies and help! I typically have just one "long run" a week (8-12 miles) and 4 days of between 3-5 miles each, plus two days of strength training/weights. I make sure to have 1 day of complete rest each week, sometimes two.

I am gathering that maybe I am just not taking in enough fuel period. I try to keep my calorie intake1200-1500/day based on my BMR and all that, with long run days being the exception where I eat more.....Also have just tried to cut out unnecessary added sugars because I heard that adds to inflammation, but maybe I have had this wrong.

Was a soccer player all my life into college and never really thought twice about the nutrition piece....but now that I'm getting older just trying to be more mindful of what I give my body and thought maybe reducing the BS carbs would be helpful for me. But maybe I've gone too far the other direction. To some of your points, I have been tired a lot during the day too, and more sore than I ever used to be....to me another indication that I'm somehow not recovering adequately.

Thanks again for all the help and responses.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    You don't base your calorie goal from your BMR - no wonder you are under fuelled!

Your calorie goal on here is for a non-exercise day only, don't avoid fuelling your shorter runs. This site will work out a reasonable goal for you if you answer the set up questions honestly and accurately and crucially avoid picking an over-aggressive rate of weight loss.

That's twaddle about sugar, it's the endurance athlete's friend. Certainly a good idea to review your diet and focus on nutrition though. But start with the big ticket items (including an appropriate calorie goal) before getting into minutiae.

• DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Thank you all for the replies and help! I typically have just one "long run" a week (8-12 miles) and 4 days of between 3-5 miles each, plus two days of strength training/weights. I make sure to have 1 day of complete rest each week, sometimes two.

I am gathering that maybe I am just not taking in enough fuel period. I try to keep my calorie intake1200-1500/day based on my BMR and all that, with long run days being the exception where I eat more.....Also have just tried to cut out unnecessary added sugars because I heard that adds to inflammation, but maybe I have had this wrong.

Was a soccer player all my life into college and never really thought twice about the nutrition piece....but now that I'm getting older just trying to be more mindful of what I give my body and thought maybe reducing the BS carbs would be helpful for me. But maybe I've gone too far the other direction. To some of your points, I have been tired a lot during the day too, and more sore than I ever used to be....to me another indication that I'm somehow not recovering adequately.

Thanks again for all the help and responses.

You're just not eating enough. Assuming that you're burning something like 75 calories per mile, you're adding a 1500 deficit to your weekly diet by not eating back your regular runs and it's probably closer to 2000 calories since I doubt you're eating back all of your long run calories.

Said another way, if you eat 1200 calories per day before adjusting for exercise and don't eat back your run calories, then net you end up with something along the lines of 900-1000 calories per day. Way too low no matter what your current weight is.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i believe there is no scientific evidence that sugar adds to inflammation.
    if you are running that much you are not eating enough. you need to eat some of your exercise calories back. you should net no less than 1200 calories (give or take given your specific measurements)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    How much weight are you trying to lose?

You should definitely be eating back your running cals
  • xxzenabxx
    xxzenabxx Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Hey, you are definitely undereating! You should probably calculate your TDEE and then deduct 300-500 calories from there depending on how hungry you are. It’s honestly not the carbs you’re just not eating enough!
  • Bulldogs1717
    Options
    Thank you all for the replies. I’m honestly not trying to lose a ton of weight- a few pounds - but mostly want to be a high performer in my races and sports and just be healthier overall- eat cleaner that sort of thing. I appreciate the input and I think this is pretty obvious now what I need to do! Seems to be a fine line between athletic performance Nutrition and nutrition for weight loss...
  • Bulldogs1717
    Options
    Thank you all for the replies. I’m honestly not trying to lose a ton of weight- a few pounds - but mostly want to be a high performer in my races and sports and just be healthier overall- eat cleaner that sort of thing. I appreciate the input and I think this is pretty obvious now what I need to do! Seems to be a fine line between athletic performance Nutrition and nutrition for weight loss...
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

If you're only trying to lose a few lbs and are focused on running performance, I'd set your goal to lose 0.5lbs per week, and add your running cals burned on top of that. You've already gotten good advice nutrition wise. Eat more and I hope this problem clears up for you soon!
  • ragsibobs
    Options
    Yes, I agree. 1200-1500 seems low for someone who trains 5-6 days per week. I’m sure you’ll feel better once you start eating more. I’m 5.6”, weigh 66kg (145.5lbs) and train 5-6 days per week and want to lose maybe 4kg (9lbs). I eat 1600-1700 calories on my rest days. My goals are fat loss, maintain muscle mass and still perform well whilst losing weight.
  • ragsibobs
    Options
    My food diary is open to friends, so just send me a friend request and say hi if you want to have a nosey. I’ve been down with a bad cold for the last 2 weeks, so won’t be much exercise logged. Once I start back training properly again I will re-evaluate if my calorie goals are right for me with the increased activity levels.
  • dmkoenig
    dmkoenig Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Sugar & carbs during your longer workouts, followed by a protein/carb recovery drink/meal within an hour after your workout to maximize absorption. Protein for rebuilding muscle and carbs to replenish your glycogen stores. And yes, overall you are consuming way too few calories for your level of activity. For days when you are wiped out you may also consider a product like ZipFizz which is basically a B12 shot.