Small goals?

Do yall find it easier to stay on track by setting small goals? Such as “lose 10 lbs by Valentines Day” then another goal for another month or two?

Replies

• Dawncxr
    Dawncxr Posts: 11 Member
    That's what I normally do. I have 100 pounds to lose. If I look at the big picture, I have a tendency to get really frustrated and stuff my face with nutter butters (those are the peanut butter wafer things, right? I always get those and the cookie confused...). ANYWAYS, I try to break it down into 10 pound intervals. That way, I'm not looking at the big picture and focus more on getting the 10 pounds off.
    What I find really works well too is a reward system. For me, every 25 pounds I usually treat myself to something. For example, this 25 pounds I may go out and buy me a new pair of shoes. 50 pounds I may go out and buy a new fitbit, ext. It's just a little extra drive to keep you going. Good luck!
  • I definitely look at it as smaller goals and shorter time frames. Deep down I know this is a lifestyle change and a different way of looking at my food/fitness but setting/reaching goals is different for me. I have goals like "lose this amount of weight by this time," and its usually MORE than enough time to achieve it in a healthy manner. Then I can look back on big chunks of time and see all of the goals I have reached and it is so rewarding.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Lose 10 lb by Feb 14 is a humongous goal. I'd be happy to lose 2 lb by Feb 14.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,257 Member
    Yes. The other thing that I found that works for me is to set a fitness goal. That way, I'm not as focused on the number on the scale, but I am focused on how strong I am. It seems to work for me. For others, they may need to really see the scale move, but it's not always really indicative of how hard I'm working, whereas judging my workouts (or just how often I am managing to fit them in) and how I feel during them is a better measure for me.
  • LiLee2018
    LiLee2018 Posts: 1,389 Member
    It helps if you have a lot to lose. I still have about 60lbs to lose so it helps me to break that up in to smaller chunks or to have non-scale related goals. Like getting in to a smaller pants size.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,454 Member
    Maybe this- instead of date/weight goals, how about process goals? Like log your food ever day for 2 weeks, plan a menu every week for a month or go to the gym 5 times every week. Stuff like that. Those are things that you can control.

The problem with date/weight goals is it’s a way to turn weight loss success, losses, into failure, not fast enough.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    88olds wrote: »
    Maybe this- instead of date/weight goals, how about process goals? Like log your food ever day for 2 weeks, plan a menu every week for a month or go to the gym 5 times every week. Stuff like that. Those are things that you can control.

The problem with date/weight goals is it’s a way to turn weight loss success, losses, into failure, not fast enough.

This.

I set my goals based on behaviors which I can control. Mainly-my goal is to eat at or under my calorie goal. Every day. As long as I do that, I will lose the weight.

I can’t control the exact pace or what size I might be or any of that - so I don’t set goals based on those. Those are the results that will eventually happen as long as I control my behaviors.