Struggling with losses, possibly hormone related?

I wasn’t sure I could post here about this because I do follow slimming world.
Anyways from sept-dec I lost 2st with slimming world, over Christmas I gained 5.5lb my first 2 weeks at slimming world I lost the 5.5lb. 5lb the first week and 0.5lb last week. I’ve never lost less than 1.5lbs per week.
I’ve been following the plan correctly I’ve even entered my food into my fitness pal to make sure I wasn’t eating too much but I’m not.
I have problems with my period it’s not regular, very far apart usually, I spot sometimes my whole cycle. I started spotting last weekend the weekend before my 0.5lb weight loss, I’m currently just either gaining a bit then losing it the next day then so on.
The whole point in this is I was wondering if I can retain water due to spotting?
I’ve tried drinking 2 litres of water to see if I’m with holding water and nothing happens.
If it’s not a hormonal issue then maybe it’s because I eat quite a lot of carbs but I’ve also been doing this since I started slimming world.
I know it hasn’t been long since my weight loss has slowed but it is disheartening especially when you have to weigh infront of people and your loss/gain/maintain is told to the group.
I’ve had my hormones tested etc nothing wrong at all, my diagnosis was secondary infertility due to not ovulating.

Replies

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    This is quite a lot to try and determine what may or may not be happening. You might need a comprehensive blood panel workup done as well, not just hormone test.

Drinking loads of water trying to deplete your body of water isn't the answer. We can retain water for many reasons such as consuming more carbs than usual (have you ruled this out by cutting carbs?), consuming higher sodium than we do normally, not hydrating properly as in too much water can flush electrolytes, we can retain water during ovulation as well as time of mensus. Are you weighing all of your food intake, slimming world has free foods, are you weighing/tracking those?

Getting to the root cause of your period issues are best suited through your doctor and discussions with him/her about your diet/weight loss, exercise if you exercise and of course any medical history to take into account.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Weight loss itself can mess with your hormones. Some hormones are stored in your fat, so when you lose fat, you release them into your system.

Try to figure out what is going on with your periods with your medical team. One week of different weightloss isn't concerning, I am surprised it took you this long to experience such a fluctuation.