Pregnant! Yay! How to stay active/not gain 400 pounds

Options
So happy to have found out about being pregnant with my second baby. I gained a lot with my son and wanted to be back to pre pregnancy weight when getting pregnant again but I didn't reach that goal in time. Does anyone have advice on how to only gain a reasonable amount weight during pregnancy? Thanks ! Feel free to add me as well

Replies

• youngcaseyr
    youngcaseyr Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!

A lot of your weight gain will depend on your current weight and lifestyle. I started my pregnancy at a low weight and planned on gaining a set amount of weight and continued to "eat healthy" (very subjective, I know) and exercise daily, but still went over by a few lbs. My son just turned 2 and I actually still haven't lost the last 10 lbs...

But I guess to answer your question, continue to "eat healthy" and exercise, or start a light pregnancy-safe exercise program/regimen even if it's just walking. As for how much weight you should gain and how many calories you should be consuming, you'd be better off asking your doctor to make sure you're eating enough to support yourself and your pregnancy. It's never a good idea to diet when you're pregnant
  • Cassandraw3
    Cassandraw3 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Congrats! This depends on your starting weight, but if you are within a healthy weight range when you get pregnant below are the general recommendations:

The first trimester does not require any extra calories.
    During the second trimester, an additional ~350 calories a day are recommended.
    For the third trimester, the recommendation is ~450-500 calories more a day than when not pregnant.

This is based on what your maintenance calories are at the start of pregnancy. If you are underweight or overweight, it will vary. A healthy weight gain is 25-35 lbs if you started at a healthy weight.
  • GoodLardy
    GoodLardy Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    My advice is you should not quit your job, grocery shop everyday, reward yourself with a bagel sandwich after shopping, and spend afternoons watching paula deen, 30 minute meals and anything on the TLC channel ( if it still exists) . These things will surely lead you down the bad road as they did me. Keep up your activities, walk some everyday. Best of luck congrats to you!
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    Talk to your obstetrician about this.
    He/she is in the best position to advise you as to diet and exercise for a healthy pregnancy for you and your baby.
    What’s right for random people on the internet, may, or may not be right for you.
    Congratulations, and best wishes to you and your family.
  • mgookin
    mgookin Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Eat at maintenance and walk and stay active.
  • mbcieslak87
    mbcieslak87 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Walk! A lot! I wasn’t up for much more but walked 2-3 miles 5x a week in my second and third trimesters and I’m convinced it helped me immensely. (I barely worked out my 1st trimester because I was so nauseated... didn’t throw up much, but just felt terrible all the time)
    I wouldn’t recommend restricting your diet in any way besides those that are already recommended by your doctor, but instead focus on eating as nutritiously as you can tolerate. I know there are days when the only thing that sounds good is fast food, or pasta, or whatever but on days when you feel decent, make the best of it. Good luck!