Active recovery days

I would like to be more active on my rest days, just to avoid being too lazy. Can I do light body weight exercises on those days or should I just stick to cardio?

I am doing SL 5x5 currently so I have Tuesday’s, Thursday’s and the weekend as rest days.

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited January 2019
    I would do cardio...doing more resistance training is going to be counterproductive. Beyond that, I'm of the opinion that both resistance training and cardiovascular exercise are important to overall fitness and health.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited January 2019
    Do these days off allow you to work on other fitness related goals you may have (without compromising recovery from your lifting)?

You can certainly engage in any activities you like, I do both cardio and lifting and my recovery days are setup so that I do not over load on too much exercise. Build up any new fitness activities you add slowly if you do too much that impacts your lifting you can alter your days so that it does.
  • lin_be
    lin_be Posts: 393 Member
    Find a sport if you’re into that. I’ll play some volleyball, I’ll shoot some hoops or simply just go for a bike ride.
  • DisneyDude85
    DisneyDude85 Posts: 428 Member
    lin_be wrote: »
    Find a sport if you’re into that. I’ll play some volleyball, I’ll shoot some hoops or simply just go for a bike ride.

This. I also like to walk/hike/jog or do some yoga.
  • magster4isu
    magster4isu Posts: 632 Member
    lin_be wrote: »

This. I also like to walk/hike/jog or do some yoga.

Hiking or snowshoeing for me. I also like to save up all my household chores (cleaning, laundry, meal prep, etc) for my recovery days because if nothing else those keep me off the couch.
  • inherentst0rm
    inherentst0rm Posts: 84 Member
    Thank you for your responses. I am specifically thinking of setting up a light routine on days off from lifting with cardio, burpees, push ups and sit-ups or planks.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    edited January 2019
    Thank you for your responses. I am specifically thinking of setting up a light routine on days off from lifting with cardio, burpees, push ups and sit-ups or planks.

That might be a little much unless you are taking it really easy. You can try however and see how your body responds. On my active rest days I'll do things like mobility work, yoga, light swimming, light rowing, rock climbing, walking, biking, etc.

Also - try to save at least one day as a complete rest day if you can.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,895 Member

Cardio, sure.

Skip the bodyweight. This defeats the intent of rest days.

Yoga ok if it is not a vigorous style like Power, P90X, Ashtanga, etc.
  • inherentst0rm
    inherentst0rm Posts: 84 Member
    Okay, I will try various forms of cardio to see what I like, other than just jogging on the treadmill.