Need some gym motivation!

I usually work out at home but I feel like it's time to start some weight training and use gym equipment as a tool to help my weight loss and not something to be afraid of. I need some words of encouragement to get up and go!! I'm always so worried everyone will laugh at me or something absolutely ridiculous like that

Replies

• mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    No one will laugh at you. No one will probably even notice you and if they do they will only be thinking positive thoughts. If you catch someone's eye, just smile.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    It's typically easier if you go in knowing what you are going to do. A structured program helps with that. This thread has an extensive list of structured programs, from beginner to advanced.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • thaze90
    thaze90 Posts: 68 Member
    I’ve never seen anyone laugh at someone trying to better themselves at a gym. I used to have the same worries but it faded away after the first week going because I was treated awesomely by everyone :smiley:
  • I have tunnel vision at the gym. I say hi to the workers and keep to myself. It helps me stay focused and not dwell on what people may or may not be thinking. BUT I do try to remind myself that everyone there has their own insecurities and thoughts and are way too self involved to even notice me.
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    In addition to what others have said, if you are worried you don't know how to use the equipment properly or effectively, then ask about a free session with a professional to review equipment when you join the gym. All of the gyms I have been to offered a free session with a personal training for exactly that purpose (and to help get more business for the trainers).
  • mbcieslak87
    mbcieslak87 Posts: 206 Member
    edited January 2019
    Everyone in the gym is way more interested in themselves to pay much attention to anyone else... the gym is one of the few places on earth where it’s ok to be a complete narcissist😂 ... use that to your benefit and put on your favorite music or podcast... (or audiobook in my case) and just focus on yourself. If people in your gym are the chatty type, work on your resting B face and just do your thing... it’s only intimidating at first. Also I agree with earlier posters... take advantage of the free session with the trainers to show you all the equipment you are unfamiliar with and follow a structured plan. I personally follow Power by Kelsey Wells but there are tons and tons of amazing ones out there!
  • Mike1804
    Mike1804 Posts: 114 Member
    Like Nike says... Just do it. The majority of gym attendees know the struggle. We’ve ALL been there. No biggie
  • AlyNicole0930
    AlyNicole0930 Posts: 6 Member
    Girl don’t even worry!! I have had horrible gym anxiety before and after I finally started to go I noticed no one was even looking at me. I had one occurrence where a very kind guy came up to me and showed me how to lift the weight the proper way but he wasn’t rude it was just kindness. You are a beautiful girl and I know you can do this!!
  • ImSoSquishy
    ImSoSquishy Posts: 57 Member
    edited January 2019
    majority will not laugh at you, they might even see you as motivation instead and be like "if she can do it, i can too!" and it motivates them to work out even harder. usually it's the cheap gyms that has weird or bad people. at my area, the gym i'm going to now cost $40, the other 2 gyms is a NYSC elite and it cost $120 per month and the equinox is $250 per month, so most people flocks over to the gym i'm going to. sometimes there's a few weirdos that might stalk you, some jerks, ego lifters, attention *kitten*, grunters, and *kitten*, but most people will leave you alone, once in a while there might be someone who wants to show off or one-up you, only at night time there's one guy and his buddy that makes fun of others. besides that one guy and his buddy, no one makes fun of other people at all. with a budget/cheap gym, these people are more likely to be expected.

i would suggest deciding on a specific time frame that you'll be going to gym all the time, visit different gyms in your area. just to get a feel of the atmosphere and the kind of people that goes there at that time. go on google maps or yelp to search "gyms", check their websites, sometimes you might find promotional offers like "$10 for 1 week" or "visit 2 to 3 days for free". you can also check on groupon too, sometimes i see offers ranging from 1 week to 3 months for a really cheap price. so visit a few gyms, find one you like, and then sign up for it.