Tracking runs, bike routes, etc without a smartphone

Options
TinManJoe
TinManJoe Posts: 29 Member
edited January 2019 in Fitness and Exercise
I'm going to try and "cut the cord" this year by downgrading to a "dumb" phone, relegating my Pixel phone to a small tablet to use on Wi-Fi at work and home.

In the past, I've used my phone to track and map out routes of my runs and rides using Strava, but...well, without a data connection, I can't really do that. Are there any small, standalone GPS-type devices that can track my routes for me without requiring a data connection through my cellular provider? I'd vastly prefer biking and running without my phone at all, anyway, so if there's something smaller that I can tuck into my shoe, clip on my waist, or whatever, to do this, that'd be awesome.

Something with mapping and syncing capabilities (especially with Strava, which is my favorite) is vastly preferred, but I'm willing to at least read about/check out other stuff, too.

(EDIT: I have a Fitbit Ionic watch, if that makes any sort of difference)

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Get a Garmin watch
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    A watch is the obvious answer... are you looking for something different? What do you want the device to connect to when syncing with strava? Most connect to an app via bluetooth, will you be doing that on your "tablet", or... ?

What about a GPS pod? You'd have to check to see if they worked without a watch though.

If you didn't want to wear the watch, some of the garmin have quick release kits you can buy which would turn the watch into basically a tracking pod. Yes, you could probably just remove the watch band too, but the quick release kit makes it a bit nicer, more finished device.

A GPS enabled bike computer might also work... but you'd have to check to see if it syncs with strava, and I'm not sure how expensive they are or if it would be a better/cheaper option than a watch.

The more I type, the more I think a watch is the clear answer.
  • TinManJoe
    Options
    I would continue using my Pixel as a "tablet" at home, so I have no issue with something that has no actual display that will just "sync" up when it connects to whatever device. I have a laptop and a desktop computer that could also suffice, and would even be willing to hook it up to one of those to actually "sync" my activity (though I'd prefer not to; the more streamlined the whole process, the better)
  • jjpptt2
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Definitely a watch or fitness tracker with GPS. Wear it or stick it in your pocket/saddle bag/pack/whatever and go. It will sync with the app on your pixel, which should sync with strava.

I'd suggest a garmin branded something.
  • TinManJoe
    Options
    Is there perhaps a Fitbit Ionic app that might work at all?
  • jjpptt2
    Options
    I believe it's just the fitbit app, and that app works with most/all the current fitbit devices. The devices syncs with teh app, the app syncs with garmin and/or strava and/or training peaks and/or MFP and/or a number of other sites/services.
  • TinManJoe
    Options
    Ah, so there's no way to (for example), download a route, because there's no actual GPS in the Ionic, then?
  • jjpptt2
    Options
    I don't know about the ionic specifically. I know some of the garmins can do that.
  • TinManJoe
    Options
    Is there a particular device you would recommend? I'm looking right now just at whatever's on Amazon, and there's a range of different products that may accomplish what I'm looking for, but which get pretty pricey.
  • jjpptt2
    Options
    I don't know the market that well... only the devices I have. As such, I do recommend the Garmin Forerunner 935. But there may be more affordable options that do what you are looking for (Tracking, routing, navigation, etc). Navigation will probably be the determining factor for you, as simple tracking is pretty standard across most GPS devices.
  • swirlybee
    swirlybee Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I don't have an ionic but a quick google search shows that it has gps and you can absolutely track your run/bike route.image-48.png
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    Ionic has GPS in the watch. There’s also a Strava app for the Ionic.

I don’t think you can download a route but I don’t know for sure as my Strava links to Garmin rather than Fitbit.

If you’re in the market for a new device, Garmin would be the best option. If you’re not in the market for a new device, the Ionic does already have GPS in it and there is a Strava app/link/something for it as well. It will all around be considerably more limited than Garmin, but you already have it so there’s no additional cost.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    Garmin 35 is a lower priced option that has all the basics without a lot of extra bells and whistles. I've been using this for a while. I can do intervals, paced runs, etc. with it, but it doesn't have Bluetooth or music.

If you really want to stay low tech, you could just map out your route before or after on mapping software (I use RunningAhead) and note your time. That's what I did before I bought my first Garmin. It's approximate, but it gives you your distance.

There's a website: dcrainmaker.com that has very detailed reviews of all the watches. It can be very helpful in making a choice.
  • TinManJoe
    Options
    swirlybee wrote: »
    I don't have an ionic but a quick google search shows that it has gps and you can absolutely track your run/bike route.image-48.png

Does it have the capability to use the GPS independently of a phone's data connection? If so, it would be a huge boon, meaning I could just leave my phone at home when I go for a run or a ride.
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    I've got a Garmin Vivoactive HR which sync's to my phone or PC when I return from a walk/run/cycle...

Works for me ;)
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    TinManJoe wrote: »

Does it have the capability to use the GPS independently of a phone's data connection? If so, it would be a huge boon, meaning I could just leave my phone at home when I go for a run or a ride.

Yes. I have an ionic. It has GPS in the watch. You do not need the phone.

As I said before, If you’re in the market for a new device, Garmin is the way to go. If you’re not in the market for a new device, the Ionic does have built in GPS and can track your runs/rides/walks/hikes/etc without your phone being anywhere near you.
  • TinManJoe
    Options
    Great - thanks!
  • swirlybee
    swirlybee Posts: 497 Member
    Options

Yes, it has built-in GPS tracking, meaning you don't need to bring your phone with you. The watch won't display the map while you're running/biking, but the info is stored.
  • jjpptt2
    Options
    Just to be clear... GPS tracking is not the same as GPS routing.

If you want to go out and run/bike and have the device track (monitor/record) where you went, how fast you were going, how long it took... most any GPS-enabled device will do that.

If you want to plan out a route ahead of time, load it into the devices and have the device guide you... not all will do that.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Is there perhaps a Fitbit Ionic app that might work at all?

When you say download a route, do you mean you'd like the device to guide you through that route while you ride?

Garmin Edge, probably any of them. There 520 is very popular.