Bench press issues

Options

Replies

• grantdumas7
    grantdumas7 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    A lot of people, myself included actually loose some strength on the bench while on a caloric deficit, but you can minimize by, as others have said, using lower reps. In addition watch youtube videos on benching techniques. Mark Rippetoe and Dave Tate have excellent videos.
  • viperk1
    viperk1 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I'm on a calorie deficit and I upped my bench a pretty sizable amount (highest I've ever been). I was wondering how that was possible in a deficit and some of the posts here have given me some answers. Thanks!
  • RECowgill
    RECowgill Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    As I'm 9 months into this, you are probably just missing a few basics.

Make sure you are getting enough protein.

As others have stated, work at a lower rep range. 6-8 instead of 8-12.

Re-learn the proper benching form. Maybe you know it, but review it. Plenty of informative and accurate youtube videos.

Are you overtraining? Getting enough rest?

If you are using the bar you could switch to dumbbells, at least for a couple months.

Good luck. :glasses:
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Bump.

My bench sucks.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    Bump for educational purposes :)
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    How much gain can he really expect while eating at a deficit and cutting weight?

A lot. I've been making gains for over 2 years while in a deficit.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Also, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHx1gYTA-Rw

Watch the whole series. It will help your bench a lot.
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    I found that I was able to up the weight more with dumbbell presses rather than bench.
  • RECowgill
    Options
    I'm also making steady gains on a deficit. My bench isn't great, but I'm past my newbie gains. 9 months of 3x week lifting.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    Seriously everyone 8-12 reps is not "high rep" and is generally considered to be the hypertrophy range. He should be able to make gains in that range if everything else lines up. People on this site are way too in love with 5x5.

I think the real thing here is calorie deficit. You have reached the maximum you will be able to lift with the current amount of muscle you have. If you want to get stronger/build more muscle, you will probably have to bulk than cut again.
  • RECowgill
    Options
    Seriously everyone 8-12 reps is not "high rep" and is generally considered to be the hypertrophy range. He should be able to make gains in that range if everything else lines up. People on this site are way too in love with 5x5.

I think the real thing here is calorie deficit. You have reached the maximum you will be able to lift with the current amount of muscle you have. If you want to get stronger/build more muscle, you will probably have to bulk than cut again.

I go for exactly 8 reps on most of my lifts, bench included, and I make steady gains at that target. I do think 12 is too much, for me 8 is the right target.
  • mperrott2205
    mperrott2205 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your responses. Nice to hear everyone's advice.

In regards to some peoples dumbbell comments, yes I can do bench press much easier with dumbbells. I can comfortably do 8-12 reps with 24kg in each hand, which is why I was expecting to be able to do a 50kg barbell bench.

What I think I'll do is myy 8-12 with dumbbells but my 4-6 rep range with the barbell to increase my strength. Sound good?
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

We're talking about strength here and there isn't isn't a direct carry over between size and strength to be honest... There isn't a "maximum amount you can lift given the amount of muscle".
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    In regards to some peoples dumbbell comments, yes I can do bench press much easier with dumbbells. I can comfortably do 8-12 reps with 24kg in each hand, which is why I was expecting to be able to do a 50kg barbell bench.

Are you counting the bar weight?
  • mperrott2205
    Options

Yes
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options

Yes

Then there's likely some range-of-motion or form issues differentiating the movements. You should be able to do +4kg/10lb on the bench without a problem.
  • mperrott2205
    Options

Yes

Then there's likely some range-of-motion or form issues differentiating the movements. You should be able to do +4kg/10lb on the bench without a problem.

That's what I thought it could be. I guess I should really record myself..
  • RECowgill
    Options
    I suspect form is an issue here too. Benching is not just laying down and pressing weight up, there's a lot to do and execute on. How you position yourself and how you move are very important.

For example, flaring your arms out too far (elbows out) will use your shoulders too much and not engage your chest. So instead of doing a bench press its more like doing a horizontal shoulder press. Worse yet this is a fast track to a shoulder or rotator cuff injury.
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    An untrained, grown man should be able to bench more than 35 kg for 8 reps. But it's taken you over 4 months. I strongly suspect form issues. You're going to have to fix that.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options

We're talking about strength here and there isn't isn't a direct carry over between size and strength to be honest... There isn't a "maximum amount you can lift given the amount of muscle".

Physics would beg to differ. And any argument for 5 vs 8 reps is at best based on averages. Switching to 5 reps is not going to solve this problem and it is ridiculous how many people on here think that doing 3 fewer reps per set makes them a "real lifter" or something.