Intermittent Fasting - Let's support each other!!!

Hi all, I thought I'd make a new thread as I am always reading the community section on here for some inspo, motivation and just general ideas. After gaining 10 pounds since September (holidays, christmas, no one to blame but myself!) I am feeling really motivated to get back on track and smash my goals for 2019!

I LOVE training, I work out between 5-6 times a week ranging from Boxing, Cardio, HIIT classes and weight sessions, so I know I have that on my side (my partner is a personal trainer haha) it's just my diet that lets me down sometimes as I am a proper foodie!

I'm not a breakfast person usually, it makes me feel sick if I eat too early and I don't tend to get hungry until about 11am anyway, so I am thinking I might as well wait the extra hour and do some Intermittent fasting... some days I do this without meaning too anyway and I genuinely find it helps when cutting my calories as I prefer to have fewer larger meals a day rather than little and often.

What are your thoughts? Any IF users out there? Tell me what works for you.

Would love to keep this thread doing so we can all motivate and encourage each other and not feel like we are on our own! We can do this!!!

Replies

• weequahic54
    weequahic54 Posts: 1 Member
    I also tend to eat breakfast around 11AM but am not prone to fasting. Has it worked for you? Do you end up just skipping just one meal during the day? My biggest problem is my snacking. I notice that when I go food shopping I end up with more snacks than actual food. What do you snack on?
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Hi all, I thought I'd make a new thread as I am always reading the community section on here for some inspo, motivation and just general ideas. After gaining 10 pounds since September (holidays, christmas, no one to blame but myself!) I am feeling really motivated to get back on track and smash my goals for 2019!

I LOVE training, I work out between 5-6 times a week ranging from Boxing, Cardio, HIIT classes and weight sessions, so I know I have that on my side (my partner is a personal trainer haha) it's just my diet that lets me down sometimes as I am a proper foodie!

I'm not a breakfast person usually, it makes me feel sick if I eat too early and I don't tend to get hungry until about 11am anyway, so I am thinking I might as well wait the extra hour and do some Intermittent fasting... some days I do this without meaning too anyway and I genuinely find it helps when cutting my calories as I prefer to have fewer larger meals a day rather than little and often.

What are your thoughts? Any IF users out there? Tell me what works for you.

Would love to keep this thread doing so we can all motivate and encourage each other and not feel like we are on our own! We can do this!!!

been doing IF for the last 3+ decades. I cant eat breakfast 99% of the time. so Im a natural faster have done it since I was a kid and never knew what it was called or what I was doing was fasting. if it helps you to stick to a deficit and have no issues doing it then do it.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    I also tend to eat breakfast around 11AM but am not prone to fasting. Has it worked for you? Do you end up just skipping just one meal during the day? My biggest problem is my snacking. I notice that when I go food shopping I end up with more snacks than actual food. What do you snack on?

if you stop eating after a certain time the night before say 9pm on friday and you dont eat again until 11am saturday you are fasting 14hrs.so that would be a 14/10 fasting schedule. so you fast 14 hrs and eat your calories in the other 10 hr window thats left most days Im 16:8 or 18:6 depending on my mood. today its more like 12/12 but thats once in a blue moon.
  • kristineal78
    kristineal78 Posts: 9 Member
    I’m starting fasting next week please feel free to add me!
  • getfitfaster18
    getfitfaster18 Posts: 62 Member
    Anyone doing OMAD?
  • luciewhitefield25
    luciewhitefield25 Posts: 70 Member

I am the same, I don't get hungry until about 11/12ish but after lunch I end up wanting to snack around 5pm. which isn't bad I guess as I don't normally eat my dinner until about 8-9pm (by the time I have gone in from training and made dinner). I tend to stick to fruit, protein bars or a greek yogurt with honey and some berries. Maybe on the odd day ill have some wholegrain crisps but I try to keep them to a minimum.

I find that I enjoy the fasting more so as I like having dinner meals at lunch & dinner rather than having 3 smaller meals a day. It works for me, as long as I keep within my calories for the day. I have done this years ago and had the mind set of "eat whatever you want as long as it's within them hours" - it certainly doesn't work like that.

Non-fasting also works for me as long as I stay in my calories as at the end of the day it's all about what goes in vs expenditure... but I just find it more manageable to reduce calories when it is over fewer meals.

I do find some days though this leaves my quite low, especially after doing my training. But then I have days like today where I am spot on so I guess it all even's out really.

I am going to weigh in next week so will let you know how I get on. :)

• Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    I've been skipping breakfast for decades... never had a fancy name for it before. 🤷🏼‍♀️
  • luciewhitefield25
    Anyone doing OMAD?

I have no idea what OMAD is?
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    Anyone doing OMAD?

I have no idea what OMAD is?

One meal a day
  • luciewhitefield25
    ah I see, god I don't think I could manage that one! I love food!!!
  • carolsoza22
    carolsoza22 Posts: 3 Member
    I really don’t eat breakfast, I usually get hungry around noontime. I always thought it was bad not to eat breakfast so I started preparing a protein shake at mornings.. now I’m not sure if to go back to my normal habit of not eating breakfast. 🤷🏻‍♀️
  • SERmom3
    SERmom3 Posts: 568 Member
    Anyone doing OMAD?

Me! I've done it on and off for the past year and a half. I lost 20lbs last year and I'm working on the next 20 now.
    I don't eat before 5pm. I eat dinner with my family, but I still track calories. Mostly to make sure I'm eating enough, but it's still possible to overeat. For example, last night we had friends over for the football games. I had beer and meatballs and a brownie. I still weighed my food so I knew when to stop.

I have an open diary. Feel free to add me!
  • Brans34
    Brans34 Posts: 599 Member
    I usually end up doing the same. My breakfast usually consists of coffee. My lunch is usually anywhere from 11:30-not at all. My teaching schedule is weird, so there are a couple days that is time to start teaching by the time I'm hungry, and by the time classes are over, it's time to start thinking about dinner. Sometimes on the weekends I will eat breakfast if I'm cooking something for the kids, and once in a while I eat lunch during the week if I have a slow day. My downfall is after dinner. That 3-4 hours before bed when everyone is just relaxing around the house watching TV and having ice cream or chips...
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    edited January 2019
    SERmom3 wrote: »
    Anyone doing OMAD?

Me! I've done it on and off for the past year and a half. I lost 20lbs last year and I'm working on the next 20 now.
    I don't eat before 5pm. I eat dinner with my family, but I still track calories. Mostly to make sure I'm eating enough, but it's still possible to overeat. For example, last night we had friends over for the football games. I had beer and meatballs and a brownie. I still weighed my food so I knew when to stop.

I have an open diary. Feel free to add me!

Im glad its not possible to overeat doing IF for you,Ive done IF the last 3+ decades and I did gain weight doing IF but could not do the OMAD lol
  • trethethird
    trethethird Posts: 2 Member
    I’ve dropped significant amount of weight since May doing fasting. I usually eat between 2pm-10pm. Coffee in the AM and usually workout fasted. Crazy enough I have put on about 12 pounds of muscle in the last 7 months or so, which I thought was impossible lifting on empty. But I feel great in the morning and I kinda dislike breakfast now. Like, I feel crappy eating breakfast
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    To everyone who shared here, consider joining the intermittent fasting sub-forum here. If you do, I’ll see you there. I’m an active poster on IF topics.

Wishing you the best.
  • luciewhitefield25
    Love seeing everyone being so positive about this way of eating! If I ever talk about IF with my friends they always think it's bad for me to miss breakfast (not all of them have grasped the concept of it all being about what goes in vs what goes out!) I find it hard to think of breakfast idea's that are really healthy and enjoyable at that time of the morning that I can stomach, sometimes it makes me feel hungrier throughout the day! I am much more of an afternoon/evening eater!

I can train on an empty stomach easy enough and still feel great! The only time I tend to have more of a breakfast is on a weekend after training I tend to get hungry around 11am, but then ill have "brunch" and it will see me right through...

I am keeping off the scales for the time being, will check in within a month or so, otherwise I get too depressed and obsessive!

Will look at the sub-forum now.. thanks :)