Does alcohol really affect weight loss

If a person counts alcohol into their calories for the day will it affect their weight loss? Slow it down? Prevent?

Replies

• KristaMac88
    KristaMac88 Posts: 163 Member
    I dont know the answer to this..so im just typing so i get the updates aha I dont drink it daily only on the weekends and its usually more than one or two glasses so I dont bother logging it because i know it puts me over. I would think calories are calories and it will bloat you and if it puts you over in cals by alot will affect your weight loss for that week but...i dont know the specifics of it.
  • lin_be
    lin_be Posts: 393 Member
    It’ll only slow down your fat loss if you consume more calories than you burn. I find that on days after a couple of drinks (and not eating 1200+ extra calories at the red hot ranch) I weigh the least. That’s because alcohol dehydrates, I lose weight on the scale. But my fat loss will only come from being in a calorie deficit.
  • amy19355
    amy19355 Posts: 805 Member
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    If you count the calories as part of your calorie allotment and it doesn't turn into inebriated grazing that makes you go over your calories, it's all good. i count my alcohol calories
    as far as weight loss is concerned: a calories is a calorie. carb, alcohol, steak. all the same calorie

^^ this.

I don't do well trying to save calories for alcohol. Sometimes I can stick to a single drink, or one beer, but often it leads to a second and a third, and that almost guarantees to be followed by some lousy food choices.

Calories are calories - each of us has to find the optimum balance of macros within those calories. Some of us are big on protein, others are big on carbs, others like a mix of all three and the ratios vary from one to another.
    Me, I like 45% carb, 25% fat and 30% protein for my satisfaction. FWIW - alcohol I count as a carb.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    If you still remain in a deficit over time, no. I had my fair share of alcohol while cutting (note: I had more than enough calories to spend) and had no issues whatsoever.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    the year i lost most of my weight (probably 100 pounds of it) I drank every weekend. I simply logged and accounted for the calories and worked out more to help cover them.
  • n_green_l
    n_green_l Posts: 74 Member
    Drinking alcohol won't affect weight loss at all if you can keep it within your calorie intake.

Comes down to personal preference whilst cutting down. I lost weight and still drank alcohol.

But I've also hindered my weight loss as I realised drinking alcohol always makes me hungry. I ate less to make room for alcohol and with lower inhibitions my planned calorie intake would always end up going over last year so I put back on quite a bit. So this month I've cut it out. But that's just me :)
  • lalalacroix
    lalalacroix Posts: 834 Member
    Drinking has never hindered my weight loss, but there have been times that I have overeaten afterwards which can lead me to slower weight loss.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    If a person counts alcohol into their calories for the day will it affect their weight loss? Slow it down? Prevent?

no, but booze makes me retain water so it may mask some of the weight loss.
  • suziecue25
    suziecue25 Posts: 289 Member
    If I have one glass of wine no problem but on Monday we were out and I had 3 large glasses of wine. When I got home I also had 2 gin martinis and 3 jam doughnuts as well as my dinner and other stuff which took me way over my calorie allocation. Alcohol is my diet killer so I have to be careful and not drink very often.
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    Alcohol has two problems. It is remarkably high in calories (Full corn syrup regular Coke 140 calories, equivalent calories in 100 proof vodka 992). And, if you drink 12 oz of vodka, you are probably drunk and will not keep track of calories and not make good food choices.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Alcohol has two problems. It is remarkably high in calories (Full corn syrup regular Coke 140 calories, equivalent calories in 100 proof vodka 992). And, if you drink 12 oz of vodka, you are probably drunk and will not keep track of calories and not make good food choices.

If you're drinking 992 calories of vodka at once, that's potentially the sign of a real problem. Many people who are drinking are keeping it in the 2-4 ounce range, where the calories are going to be much more reasonable.

Like with anything, calorie density itself isn't an inherent problem. It's all about the portion size.
  • suziecue25
    suziecue25 Posts: 289 Member

If you're drinking 992 calories of vodka at once, that's potentially the sign of a real problem. Many people who are drinking are keeping it in the 2-4 ounce range, where the calories are going to be much more reasonable.

Like with anything, calorie density itself isn't an inherent problem. It's all about the portion size.

Alcohol/Portion Size....just does not compute lol Seriously, I know what you mean.
  • lalalacroix
    lalalacroix Posts: 834 Member

no, but booze makes me retain water so it may mask some of the weight loss.

That's really interesting because alcohol has the opposite effect on me. I always figure I am very slightly dehydrated and get a small loss on the scale.
  • lin_be
    lin_be Posts: 393 Member

12oz?! I wouldn’t be drunk. I’d be dead.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    lin_be wrote: »

12oz?! I wouldn’t be drunk. I’d be dead.

So would most people...