GPS Running Watch?

IThinkICan_Dejay
IThinkICan_Dejay Posts: 17 Member
edited January 2019 in Fitness and Exercise
I'm considering a new running watch (under $200) I want GPS for distance/pace and heart rate. I'd love more opinions on what you like and don't like.

Iphone: This is what I usually use. Works great but is bulky to keep with me. No heart rate. I already own so cost now is free.

Fitbit Surge: I have one and don't really like it because of syncing issues. Needs a new band so cost now is $20. Works great sometimes, frequently won't sync my runs to STRAVA. Sometimes syncs, but hours after I run. Very frustrating to loose a run.

Garmin Forerunner 35: Cost $130. Tracks heart rate and GPS. Great reviews.

Apple Watch Series 2: Cost $200 for the older series 2 on Amazon. Many more features then the Garmin. Battery life with GPS is concern.

Fitbit Versa: Cost $180. Great reviews. Will it have the same sync issues as my Surge?

I don't really need or want a smart watch to wear all day. Just to track my runs.

Replies

• DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    I'm brand loyal to Garmin as they tend to be among the most dedicated exercise wearables and focus on the enthusiast audience. Fitbit plays as more a general fitness/general audience and iPhone seems to be more about overall functionality rather than depth of function.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    I have an iPhone, Apple watch, Fitbit Versa (has a Surge), about 17 Garmin devices.

If you want a training device, I strongly suggest Garmin. There are a couple of minimally featured Forerunner models in your price range. I’d also consider the Vivoactive line - which is a lot of bang for the buck in terms of features. Newer models were on sale in your price range recently-older models or refurbished will definitely be in your price range.

Older Apple watches lack the battery to do long runs (which may not be an issue depending on how long you run).

The Fitbit Versa uses connected GPS-which means it uses your phone’s GPS. So you’ll need your bulky phone with you.

You can also use a phone app (like Runkeeper or Strava or any or a number of others) is an option and most will connect to a BT heart rate monitor (perhaps a Wahoo Tickr which will also broadcast in Ant+ and connect to your Garmin when you get one).
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Can you pinpoint the sync issues you have with your current fitbit? I'd hate to see whatever is causing that problem be a problem for a potentially new device.
  • IThinkICan_Dejay
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    Can you pinpoint the sync issues you have with your current fitbit? I'd hate to see whatever is causing that problem be a problem for a potentially new device.

It's been an issue for a long time, and with my previous phone. Googling I've found I'm not the only one with this problem with surge and iphone, but I have not found a solution.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    jjpptt2 wrote: »

It's been an issue for a long time, and with my previous phone. Googling I've found I'm not the only one with this problem with surge and iphone, but I have not found a solution.

I would encourage you to review the Fitbit forums for similar complaints on the Versa prior to considering that as an alternative.

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited January 2019
    I have a Garmin 225, absolutely love it!

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/blog
  • RunnerGrl1982
    RunnerGrl1982 Posts: 412 Member
    I have a Garmin Vivoactive 3, and I have zero complaints. Has worked a treat for me since I've had it, which is roughly 8 months now.
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    You should be able to find a Garmin Forerunner 230 or a Vivoactive 3 for that price. They'll just work and keep working
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,675 Member
    I have a Garmin 35. It is my daily wear watch as well as my running watch. It is a good one.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    No question, get a Garmin if you're a runner.
  • IThinkICan_Dejay
    edited January 2019
    It’s over my Budget but after looking at options online I’m thinking about a Garmin Instinct That or a Forerunner 35 for half the price.

Tried to go look in stores yesterday at Garmin’s- found that they frequently are order only. If in store they are boxed and not available to handle before purchasing.

I went to three different running specialty stores, REI, and Academy. 😡
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    It’s over my Budget but after looking at options online I’m thinking about a Garmin Instinct That or a Forerunner 35 for half the price.

Tried to go look in stores yesterday at Garmin’s- found that they frequently are order only. If in store they are boxed and not available to handle before purchasing.

My husband is a reluctant runner, I got him the Garmin 35, it's pretty decent.
  • FL_Hiker
    FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member
    I love my garmin, don’t remember which one it is but it’s really old and still does a wonderful job!
  • misscagal
    misscagal Posts: 195 Member
    Loved my Garmin forerunner for years. Splurged on a Garmin 735xt as I want to start swimming :) Either way - Garmin is the brand for me
  • IThinkICan_Dejay
    I ran a sub 2 hour half yesterday; a PR by almost 15 minutes! I rewarded myself by ordering a Garmin Instinct today.
  • karlpm
    karlpm Posts: 78 Member
    Garmin
  • senor_jeff
    senor_jeff Posts: 47 Member
    If it’s for run or walk you really can’t go past Garmin
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Another Garmin fan here. In addition to making great products they also have a website, Gamin Connect, that allows you to track workouts over time, connect with other runners etc.
  • thinbybday
    thinbybday Posts: 32 Member
    The dcrainmaker blog mentioned above is the go-to source for runners gear comparison. He’s the man.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member

REI will pull one out of the box and let you play with it.

They'll also let you return it for a full refund for any reason, even "I didn't like the color."