Keto and pcos

Options
flan32
flan32 Posts: 12 Member
Hey I’m newer to this but I have been doing keto for the last 3 months and it has changed my life❤️ I also have pcos and well if you have it you know most things don’t work the same way as they do for everyone else. It’s nice to get feed back from ppl on keto but I would love to have some pcos friends keto or anything that works for you. Motivation is the key.
Feel free and add me as well can’t wait

Replies

• tarmeciaj
    tarmeciaj Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey! I also have PCOS. I want to get pregnant really bad. My doctor has me on Metformin(devil pill) and birth control. I haven't been taking the metformin because it hates me and I hate it. But after today's doctors appointment I will start back at one a day and working my way up to two. He also wants me to jump on the keto train! Praying in four months of taking meds and keto I can get off and be ovulating on my own. Pray for me guys
  • 277to161
    277to161 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    PCOS
    Given the strong connection to excess weight, high insulin levels, and other metabolic problems, a low-carb diet should be ideal for reversing PCOS. The low-carb diet is the only treatment that consistently and reliably lowers insulin levels and reverses the metabolic issues that include PCOS. Therefore, a low-carb diet should be the core of any effective treatment for PCOS.

Indeed, the limited available science shows great promise:

One small 2005 study followed 11 women with PCOS as they went on a ketogenic low-carb diet for six months. The 5 women who completed the study greatly improved their weight, hormonal status and perceived amount of body hair. Two of them became pregnant despite previous infertility problems.
    A 2013 study shows that even a very modest reduction in carbohydrates (from 55 to 41 percent of energy) can result in significant improvements in weight, hormones and risk factors for women with PCOS.2

Finally, a 2017 review of relevant studies finds that low-carbohydrate diets tend to “reduce circulating insulin levels, improve hormonal imbalance and resume ovulation to improve pregnancy rates”.3
    Beyond the scientific evidence cited above, the clinical experience of doctors using it strongly support low carb as an effective treatment for PCOS:

How to reverse PCOS with low carb https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/benefits/pcos
  • an0393na
    an0393na Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I'm PCOS too... What's the difference between keto and paleo?
  • Longshore
    Longshore Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    more things to eat on Keto. Keep carbs below 50g
  • flan32
    Options
    So I have been doing keto now for about 4 months total on and off.. I have now gotten my cycle 3 months in a row.. this is the first time I have seen this it gives me hope I can think about babies again.. I am very high in my pcos all the bad and nothing good have done 5 years of futility and nothing I have givin up hope.. I will say keto really has given that back to me 😊😊 woohooo.. I am not taking my metformin. Try keto for real if you have pcos and wanting to have a Baby I have seen many woman who have gotten their bfp with keto
  • kabrina30
    kabrina30 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS. I lost around 90 pounds by being in a calorie deficit. I have paid zero attention to crabs. So while keto may work for weight loss in PCOS it is not the only solution. I had not had a normal cycle since around 2008. It took about 65 pounds down before my cycles became normal and I started ovulating again. For me it was around the 200 pound mark. I had taken birth control, metformin and another drug I cannot recall the name of to try and control my symptoms but I did not take any meds during my weight loss.
  • flan32
    Options
    No that is right there are many ways to help your pcos.. and keto will not be for everyone.. it just has worked sooo well for me. But anything we do to take care of ourself is going to help. And way to go kabrina30 that is amazing 😊
  • kabrina30
    kabrina30 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    flan32 wrote: »
    No that is right there are many ways to help your pcos.. and keto will not be for everyone.. it just has worked sooo well for me. But anything we do to take care of ourself is going to help. And way to go kabrina30 that is amazing 😊

I agree and I’m glad keto is helping you!! As someone who tried and failed with low carb many times and was convinced it was the only thing that would help I like to share my story. Just in case anyone else out there struggling with PCOS is failing at low carb and feels as hopeless as I did.

Losing weight is the best treatment for PCOS but yet so many are convinced it’s impossible to lose weight because of it. It’s a catch 22. Once I lost my mentality of “well I can’t lose weight because I have PCOS, it’s too hard” things changed. And honestly I don’t think it was any harder for me than for anyone who doesn’t have PCOS. I lost at the expected rate for the deficits I created along the way. 😊

And thanks!

• Sanriohippie
    Sanriohippie Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I have no idea what Keto is,but I decided to go the medium carb, low sugar and sodium lifestyle.
    I have tried a vegetarian route and interestingly enough my energy is great, acne is gone and so is 20+lbs in roughly 5 weeks.
    I wholeheartedly agree every cyster with PCOS will have a different eating and exercise habit that will work for them.
    Best of luck!!
    xo