Sufficient amount of exercise

Is 3-4 days sufficient enough to maintain steady weight loss? Combined with calorie counting?

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,907 Member
    You don't need exercise for weight loss. All you need is a calorie deficit.

Exercise is good for you and you should do as much of it as you want.
  • bishopjulia
    bishopjulia Posts: 205 Member
    Are all calories the same? Protein calorie vs carb calorie vs fat calorie?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    Are all calories the same? Protein calorie vs carb calorie vs fat calorie?

A calorie is a unit of measure like a volt or an inch or a mile. Your macros make up your calories. 4 calories per gram of carbohydrate and protein, 9 calories per gram of dietary fat.
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    all calories are the same when it comes to weight loss.

no need to exercise to lose weight (though it's a good thing to do and can allow you to eat more calories.

i don't do formal workouts but walk a lot (due to various injuries)
  • bishopjulia
    Sometimes I watch 600 pound life and I notice Dr Now tells his patience “No Carbs, Sugars, No starchy foods” with that said, Why would they not just be in a 1200 Cal diet which includes these food groups. That’s why I ask if all calories are valued the same when being consumed.
  • CharlieCharlie007
    CharlieCharlie007 Posts: 246 Member
    You have to remember that someone who is 600 pounds do not have the same needs as everyone else. It is not just losing weight for them. but also preventing heart attacks etc...
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    edited January 2019
    Sometimes I watch 600 pound life and I notice Dr Now tells his patience “No Carbs, Sugars, No starchy foods” with that said, Why would they not just be in a 1200 Cal diet which includes these food groups. That’s why I ask if all calories are valued the same when being consumed.

You can eat carbs, sugar, starchy foods or all foods for that matter but eat at a calorie deficit. I dont like to eat too much of those kinds of foods (sugar, carbs bread etc..) because it burns too fast and I am hungry shortly after. I try to eat foods that will satisfy me longer protein, veggies, complex carbs etc..

I can't articulate the science behind it, some people on here are much more knowledgeable, but I understand how my body reacts to different foods and which foods leave me satisfied longer.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member

Because they're 600lbs...
  • bishopjulia
    I notice on MFP that when you enter the calories you burn during a work out it adds them to your Calories on your food diary. It doesn’t make sense to me to add the calories back that I just burned. What is the science behind this?
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,443 Member
    I notice on MFP that when you enter the calories you burn during a work out it adds them to your Calories on your food diary. It doesn’t make sense to me to add the calories back that I just burned. What is the science behind this?

The calorie amount MFP gives you assumes no exercise. You're supposed to eat back exercise calories to keep your body fueled adequately.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited January 2019

The science is you are already set up in a caloric deficit for the weight you want to lose weekly assuming your calories are less than your TDEE.

Working out is for cardiovascular or benefits of lifting not specifically for losing weight.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,722 Member

Because those are simplistic rules that will result, for most people, in consuming . . . tah-dah! . . . fewer calories. And grand slogan-like pronouncements sound good on reality TV. I can't speak for a reality TV doctor, but he may also not expect that they will follow those "rules" exactly, but some amount of moving them in that direction will help them.

Managing calorie intake to an appropriate level is what determines overall weight loss. Nothing else contributes enough to this to worry about, except insofar as it affects how full/happy you are, so affects whether you stick with the right calorie level long enough to do you much good.

Most people want to be healthy and maybe look nice, though, not just get thin.

So, balanced nutrition is a good plan: Enough protein, enough fats (especially the healthy fats from things like nuts, seeds, avocados, olive oil, and that sort of thing - in reasonable portions), and plenty of nice veggies and fruits (which will include some carbs). And personally, I'd throw some less nutrient-dense treats in there sometimes, too, for happiness' sake.

On top of that, fitness is way to improve odds of long-term good health (and nice appearance), too. So, exercise for fitness, both strength and cardiovascular exercise. When you exercise, you burn more calories than when you don't exercise, so you eat more calories to keep the same weight loss rate as you'd have without the exercise (because losing too fast is unhealthy therefore not very smart).
  • bishopjulia
    So what would be a good healthy Calorie deficit? Let’s say for a person who’s body burns 1800 standing calories. Obviously a person would not so drastically cut the calories to an unhealthy point ie: 500 - 1000 a day.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    So what would be a good healthy Calorie deficit? Let’s say for a person who’s body burns 1800 standing calories. Obviously a person would not so drastically cut the calories to an unhealthy point ie: 500 - 1000 a day.

depends how much a person has to lose.

If you put your stats in MFP it will tell you how much to eat to lose weight.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member

There's a lot of bad weight loss advise in the world. If you get caught up in it, it'll just distract you from your goal.
  • lin_be
    lin_be Posts: 393 Member

depends how much a person has to lose.

If you put your stats in MFP it will tell you how much to eat to lose weight.

This!
  • CTcutie
    CTcutie Posts: 649 Member

I also think part of that may be that they are preparing for surgery and nutrition (home-cooked protein/vegetables vs fast food) is really important to maximize your immunity and prevent infection. Source: Am scientist.