Dieting when I like nothing healthy!!!

Options

Replies

• Danielle_Duke
    Danielle_Duke Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I notice the picky eaters always post what they don't like, but never post what they like or what they currently eat now.............it kind of makes it hard to help

I like:

meats: Chicken, beef (with the exception of hamburger meat), shrimp, pork

fruits: kiwi, banana, apple, strawberry, flavor of blueberry (not the actual whole fruit), Coconut, Lemon, Orange, Pineapple, Lime, Cantaloupe, Grapes

Vegetables: Carrots, Potatoes, Corn, Pinto beans, Cucumber, Garlic

Nuts and Seeds: Almond, Cashew, Peanut, Pecan, Walnut, Sunflower Seeds

Pasta
    Rice
    Bread
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    If you don't like something - veggies, in this case - eat that first. A serving of veggies is typically what - 1/2 cup? That's really not much. Then finish off your meal with the food(s) you do like.
  • jenifr818
    jenifr818 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    If you don't like something - veggies, in this case - eat that first. A serving of veggies is typically what - 1/2 cup? That's really not much. Then finish off your meal with the food(s) you do like.

I've used this trick with things I haven't liked before, and it honestly does help get it down. If I'm eating a salad, I'll eat the tomatoes and broccoli first, and quick, and then take my time savoring the chicken, ham, egg, croutons, carrots, peas (hey, don't judge) and lettuce :smile: The stuff I take my time with makes it so I don't begrudge the other stuff nearly as much
  • Danielle_Duke
    Danielle_Duke Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I don't like tomatoes so pasta sauce is kinda a no go...
    OK, here is where you lose me.

Eating a tomato off the vine is a whole different taste, texture EVERYTHING from eating tomato sauce. There is barely even a remote connection to the tastes of each.

Is the issue that you don't like certain foods or that you've never had them prepared correctly?

I eat spinach a lot. I do not like just plain old spinach -- cooked or not. If it's cooked, it has to be mixed in something -- olive oil and goat or feta cheese, in a casserole, whatever. As a salad, it's all about the dressing (my favorite is Newman's Own Olive Oil and Vinegar).

I would eat an onion like I would eat an apple, but on salad or cooked in something else, it's a wonderful food.

So based on your "I don't like tomatoes so I won't eat spaghetti sauce" comment, my conclusion is you are not a picky eater so much as you are afraid to branch out and actually TRY things.

In my case I don't like tomatoes raw or cooked in anything... same goes for onions... I do and have "TRIED" things...
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options

Hehe I learned this in preschool and it's served me well. I have to eat food from a variety of cultures, so there's no "picky eating" option. Find the nastiest-looking thing, down it, and carry on.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    I notice the picky eaters always post what they don't like, but never post what they like or what they currently eat now.............it kind of makes it hard to help

I like:

fruits: kiwi, banana, apple, strawberry, flavor of blueberry (not the actual whole fruit), Coconut, Lemon, Orange, Pineapple, Lime, Cantaloupe, Grapes

Pasta
    Rice
    Bread

OP: start with this list and move forward from there. Experiment. There are a ton of different foods out there.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

I like:

Pasta
    Rice
    Bread

All of these things are healthy and can be turned into delicious, diet friendly meals. I'm not sure I see the problem here?
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I don't care what anyone says.....I won't eat parsnips (everything else is ok though)
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    If weight loss is your only goal, it is about how many calories you eat, not what you eat.

Of course, you can eat a whole lot more "healthy" foods for the same amount of calories as a little bit of "junk" food. And of course you should be concerned about getting enough nutrients.

Have you logged regularly? Are you seeing patterns where some things you eat put you over your calorie goals? You have to eat less of those things. Eat more of the things that are lower calories. Make substitutions where necessary.

Of the things you do like, look for healthier recipes. Google is your friend. You can also omit or substitute things in recipes that you don't like. So, if a recipe calls for tomatoes, you can substitute something else, or leave out the tomato, depending on what kind of recipe it is, of course.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options

I like:

Pasta
    Rice
    Bread

All of these things are healthy and can be turned into delicious, diet friendly meals. I'm not sure I see the problem here?
    This. I don't see a problem at all.
  • LAW_714
    LAW_714 Posts: 258
    Options
    I think it's sad that someone denies themselves many healthy, delicious foods because there's a world of tasty vegetables and cuisines out there that they're missing.

That said, you can lose weight without having a wide range of food. Just track your macros and eat accordingly at a calorie deficit.
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    What many people have said is true...all you truly need is a deficit. That being said, it's much more difficult to have a deficit when you only eat foods that are higher in calories (veggies and fruits are lower in calories and higher in nutrients).

I agree with what some others have suggested...find a new fruit/veggie to try each week and find a way to prepare it that you enjoy it.

Try this site-she's got fantastic recipes and she uses the weight watcher point system...has nutrition information for all of her recipes too.

skinnytaste.com
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    Yes...GROW UP, you're not a two year old! Try ethnic cuisines such as Indian, Lebanese, Chinese, Thai. Make food an adventure. Get fresh locally grown produce from your local farmers' market if you don't care for supermarket produce. ( I'm a gardener and daughter of a gardener, and I cannot even imagine not liking vegetables! Oven roasted root vegetables and potatoes with garlic chive butter, OMG!!) Maybe you should get a good cookbook like "Vegetables Everyday", which has fantastic recipes, and learn to cook veggies properly....( Don't eat canned vegetables at all, they are disgusting. ) Try to avoid processed food, fast food, canned food, crap out of boxes, and learn to cook healthy meats, greens for salads, fresh produce... there is such an indescribable world of healthy, absolutely delicious food!!
  • MelsAuntie
    Options
    I don't care what anyone says.....I won't eat parsnips (everything else is ok though)
    [/quote

Obviously you've never had my sweet, buttery, velvety, curried parsnip soup. I have friends clamoring for me to make that for them.]
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    If you only eat 25 things & apparently those things made you heavier than you'd like to be ...... then eat LESS of them ......

Good luck :drinker:
  • MelsAuntie
    Options
    I am just like you, I suffer from Selective Eating Disorder. I literally only eat less than 25 things. I'm extremely picky, no seafood, no mexican, no asian food, no spaghetti or pasta, no turkey, i'm literally probably the most pickiest eater ever.

Calorie deficit is how you do it. I literally just watch what i eat, maintain calories for my daily goal, fat, sodium, sugar etc.

It can be done. You could literally eat mcdonalds every day, all you have to do is stay within you MFP boundaries.

You saying "no mexican" makes me want to cry, then go get a massive enchilada with refried beans and spanish rice. I blame you :tongue:
    [/quote

I LOVE most ethnic cuisine, but I have to admit, I HATE Mexican food. I've never had anything Mexican that I would order twice, or even finish. Worst offenders; burritos, tacos, enchiladas, refried beans, spanish rice, and the most horrid of all, nachos with that nasty orange plastic-like cheese. ]
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    no asian food

NO Asian food? It's all so incredibly different. How can you lump it all into one group?
  • kmash32
    kmash32 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I don't like tomatoes so pasta sauce is kinda a no go...
    [/quote

I hate tomatoes but love pasta sauce and ketchup.

Though I agree that weight loss is all about calorie deficit if you don't learn to eat some of the things you like you are going to be hungry a lot because these are the things that keep you full longer.

As somone else send blend your veggies into other things using puree. Jerry Seinfield's wife has a great cookbook on how to get your kids to eat vegetables by disguising them. You might want to try it instead of just saying I don't eat it. And don't write something off because you didn't like it the first time it really does depend on how it's cooked.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    Biggest issue is eating too much. But sorry, you just eat too much. It's the way you are.

Seem like a bad approach?

So is giving up on food with nutrients because you're "picky". You don't have to be.

while this is a little roughly said...agree. its not what you're eating , it is how much. Now, if we are talking about nutrition, that's a different subject, and one that maybe you need to look at.