Keto vs mediterranean diets

Options
I read a study recently where the mediterranean diet is the highest ranking diet of all time. The canadian and American heart associations and the world health organization all are against the keto diet and all for the Mediterranean diet.
As a former hard core ketoer, I'm going to try IF with the mediterranean diet. Advice?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Are you sure it was listed as the "highest ranking diet of all time"? There was some recent news about it being picked by the US News and World Report rankings as the number one diet for 2019, but they reevaluate these annually.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    The Mediterranean diet is really more of a set of loose guidelines, so I'd just take a look at them and keep them in mind as you meal plan and make choices at the grocery store. The way the Mayo Clinic write up describes it is I think pretty typical and easy to follow

https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/in-depth/mediterranean-diet/art-20047801
  • zeejane03
    zeejane03 Posts: 993 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    The style of eating promoted by the Mediterranean 'diet' is highly recommended. It's also very similar to the DASH protocol, which is also highly recommended, (and was in first place last year per the US New and World Report rankings), aannd.... it's also very similar to the eating patterns of the Blue Zones. The common themes between these different plans is a focus on a higher vegetable/fruit intake, an emphasis on whole grains, legumes and healthy oils, reduced meat intake, snacking on nuts and seeds etc. They are moderate to high carb plans.

I'm transitioning over towards this way of eating way right now and I'm hitting around 200+ carbs a day. I already knew I did better on a higher carb woe,but I'm feeling really good right now, with high satiety levels with the foods I'm eating. I'm not really tracking my calorie intake (just some mental math throughout the day), and I'm down several pounds this month (I'm fixing a bit of maintenance creep currently). I don't have anything negative to say about this style of eating, except to go a bit slow while upping veg/fruit and beans intake-it does take your body a few days to adjust :)
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    what were the criteria for the ranking? how were they evaluated?

solieco1 wrote: »
    I find I do better without a diet with a name. Some days I want carbs, some days protein fuels me best and some days a donut is the perfect answer. The less restrictions, the more consistent I can be in maintaining a deficit which is all that matters. If I get too hung up on 'shoulds' then all I want is things not on the magic list.

Ditto.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    We've been discussing it here: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10719564/mediterranean-diet#latest

It's basically a standard healthy eating pattern. I like it, but don't think of it as similar to most named diets which have more rigid rules.
  • zeejane03
    edited January 2019
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    We've been discussing it here: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10719564/mediterranean-diet#latest

It's basically a standard healthy eating pattern. I like it, but don't think of it as similar to most named diets which have more rigid rules.

Agree-it's more a style of eating but not a structured plan per se. It doesn't really have a calorie reduction built in either, so if weight loss is the goal then you still need to be mindful of your calorie intake.

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Panini911 wrote: »

I find I do better without a diet with a name. Some days I want carbs, some days protein fuels me best and some days a donut is the perfect answer. The less restrictions, the more consistent I can be in maintaining a deficit which is all that matters. If I get too hung up on 'shoulds' then all I want is things not on the magic list.

Ditto.

If OP is referring to the *2019 rankings*, here is an explanation: "To calculate the rankings, U.S. News convened an expert panel of the country's top nutritionists, dietary consultants and physicians specializing in diabetes, heart health and weight loss. Through an in-depth survey, each panelist scored the 41 diets in seven areas, including ease of compliance, likelihood of losing significant weight in the short and long term, and effectiveness against cardiovascular disease and diabetes. For further details on how the rankings were calculated, see the methodology. The rankings, together with the advice of a doctor or nutritionist, can help Americans find a healthy lifestyle."

Source: https://www.usnews.com/info/blogs/press-room/articles/2019-01-02/us-news-reveals-best-diets-rankings-for-2019
  • saresimsr36
    saresimsr36 Posts: 128 Member
    Options

Ditto.

If OP is referring to the *2019 rankings*, here is an explanation: "To calculate the rankings, U.S. News convened an expert panel of the country's top nutritionists, dietary consultants and physicians specializing in diabetes, heart health and weight loss. Through an in-depth survey, each panelist scored the 41 diets in seven areas, including ease of compliance, likelihood of losing significant weight in the short and long term, and effectiveness against cardiovascular disease and diabetes. For further details on how the rankings were calculated, see the methodology. The rankings, together with the advice of a doctor or nutritionist, can help Americans find a healthy lifestyle."

Source: https://www.usnews.com/info/blogs/press-room/articles/2019-01-02/us-news-reveals-best-diets-rankings-for-2019

This! However, I ventured beyond American experts to the world health organization and Canadian health standards reports. Sorry, I should have saved links. I weaved through massive amounts of articles and pdfs to sum it up very loosely in my post.
  • saresimsr36
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Ultimately, what surprised me is how I read so much beneficial stuff promoting the keto diet only to find out world health associations are against it firmly. Instead, they highlight the mediterranean diet, which as stated above is a loose set of guidelines in regards to woe rather than a diet plan
  • zeejane03
    Options

Ditto.

This! However, I ventured beyond American experts to the world health organization and Canadian health standards reports. Sorry, I should have saved links. I weaved through massive amounts of articles and pdfs to sum it up very loosely in my post.

Have you seen the new recommendations for increased fiber, from the WHO commissioned panel? It will most likely be added to their official recommendations. This lines up with the foods that the Mediterranean woe promotes :)
  • saresimsr36
    Options
    zeejane03 wrote: »

Ditto.

Have you seen the new recommendations for increased fiber, from the WHO commissioned panel? It will most likely be added to their official recommendations. This lines up with the foods that the Mediterranean woe promotes :)

I did actually. I'm trying very hard to follow, but its all a learning curve. I have 60lbs to go from the 160lbs to lose I started with. I have been reading a lot.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    C'mon over to the other thread, if you haven't already.