Anyone actually losing weight on Keto?

Options
13»

Replies

• zeejane03
    zeejane03 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    Nope, before starting Keto I was on vacation in Europe eating fabulous food in Spain and not so fabulous in London however walking a lot . I am not just on Keto I am in ketosis ( according to ketosis strips) and nothing much happening
    Also with Keto, are we counting net carbs or just carbs?

And for the life of me what do I use to send a respond to the specific comment ?

all I see are these

January 31, 2019 1:26PM Flag Quote · Insightful Inspiring Like Woo Hug

It's the Quote button.
  • linochka1969
    linochka1969 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    zeejane03 wrote: »
    Nope, before starting Keto I was on vacation in Europe eating fabulous food in Spain and not so fabulous in London however walking a lot . I am not just on Keto I am in ketosis ( according to ketosis strips) and nothing much happening

And for the life of me what do I use to send a respond to the specific comment ?

all I see are these

It's the Quote button.

Thank you
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I've been keto a few years. I lost with it and maintained with it. Haven't gained with it yet, but I'm good at that when I increase carbs. ;)

I lost around 30-40 lbs. I'm now 45, and 5'8".

all I see are these

Quote will highlight certain texts. If you want to respond privately, click on a persons name to PM (private message) them.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    Back 7 years ago I lost 33 lbs just keeping the calorie count and exercising without limiting carbs, I kept for a couple of years but then picked about 10 back. I know that with age it gets very challenging but I didn't realize it will be that changeling. I am questioning why can I not eat a piece of dark chocolate with my coffee if keto is not working for me? I am simply annoyed where I though I was going double force ( staying under 1250 and keeping carbs) but doesn't seem it is really doing anything I will download the app , thank you

There are mistakes that people commonly make that cause them to not lose weight that we might be able to spot if you change your Diary Sharing settings to Public: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings

Also, what's your goal weight?
  • linochka1969
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Back 7 years ago I lost 33 lbs just keeping the calorie count and exercising without limiting carbs, I kept for a couple of years but then picked about 10 back. I know that with age it gets very challenging but I didn't realize it will be that changeling. I am questioning why can I not eat a piece of dark chocolate with my coffee if keto is not working for me? I am simply annoyed where I though I was going double force ( staying under 1250 and keeping carbs) but doesn't seem it is really doing anything I will download the app , thank you

There are mistakes that people commonly make that cause them to not lose weight that we might be able to spot if you change your Diary Sharing settings to Public: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings

My goal weight is to be around 138-140 so I need another 18 lbs at least.
    I opened it
    Thank you
    ES
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options

Keto's benefit as far as weight loss is concerned is that for some people fat is highly satiating, so it's easier for them to stick to their calorie goal. You will lose weight based on your calorie deficit first and foremost.

If you only have 20 lbs to lose, you should be set to no more than 1 lb per week. I was 42 when I lost 20 lbs, I just counted calories and tried to get more protein (as I personally find protein & fiber fill me up, fat doesn't). When you are trying to lose a small amount of weight, it's really easy for those small losses to hide behind water weight fluctuations on the scale, so you have to be patient and not expect to see a loss every week!

Check out these posts when you get a chance, they might help too (whether you are doing keto or not)

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1234699/logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide/p1
  • linochka1969
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

Keto's benefit as far as weight loss is concerned is that for some people fat is highly satiating, so it's easier for them to stick to their calorie goal. You will lose weight based on your calorie deficit first and foremost.

If you only have 20 lbs to lose, you should be set to no more than 1 lb per week. I was 42 when I lost 20 lbs, I just counted calories and tried to get more protein (as I personally find protein & fiber fill me up, fat doesn't). When you are trying to lose a small amount of weight, it's really easy for those small losses to hide behind water weight fluctuations on the scale, so you have to be patient and not expect to see a loss every week!

Check out these posts when you get a chance, they might help too (whether you are doing keto or not)

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1234699/logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide/p1

Thank you, I will check it out
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options

I opened it
    Thank you
    ES

Did you make these entries yourself or did you use someone else's entries from the database?
    • Produce - Zucchini Sauteed In Olive Oil, 1 cup cooked
    • Homemade - Sautéed Mushrooms & Onions

Since oil is calorie dense, you really should get a weight on it and log that separately. I like to weigh things like oil and peanut butter by zeroing the container on the scale. After using the amount I want the negative number is the grams used.

For "Perfect Keto - Nut Butter, 1 tbs" did you actually use tbs or weigh it out and just use the tbs entry? I can make a heck of a lot of nut butter fit in a tbs and my consumption has really slowed since I got a food scale and could no longer deceive myself about how much I was eating :lol:

I just looked at two days - look for potential logging errors like these to see if you are eating more than you think.
  • linochka1969
    Options

I opened it
    Thank you
    ES

Did you make these entries yourself or did you use someone else's entries from the database?

The way I log depends on the type of food. For example Zucchini Sauteed In Olive Oil, 1 cup cooked , i looked up the carbs and calories in zucchini and olive oil , and based on the estimate I record my entries always bumping up by about 15% from what I think it really is ( look for estimated entry from someone else) . Even if I missed 10 cals on zucchini or lettuce , it will not not going to make a difference.

Since oil is calorie dense, you really should get a weight on it and log that separately. I like to weigh things like oil and peanut butter by zeroing the container on the scale. After using the amount I want the negative number is the grams used.

For "Perfect Keto - Nut Butter, 1 tbs" did you actually use tbs or weigh it out and just use the tbs entry? I can make a heck of a lot of nut butter fit in a tbs and my consumption has really slowed since I got a food scale and could no longer deceive myself about how much I was eating :lol:

I have been using food scale for about 9 years now, so if I do weight my nuts, avocados, proteins, cheeses, and other higher calorie foods. So I do weight nut butter accurately Many years ago I decided to weight a 1/2 cup of ice cream on the scale and to my surprise I have learned that I can fit 1/2 cup of ice cream on a table spoon ( big scoop of course)

I just looked at two days - look for potential logging errors like these to see if you are eating more than you think.
    Unfortunately, even if I eat more then I think it is not more then 50 calories

I lost over 33 lbs here on MFP over the course of 6-7 months 7 years ago without following atkins or Keto diet
    Now I have eliminated carbs and nothing really happening , that is the reason I was asking people Keto diet here

• amy19355
    amy19355 Posts: 805 Member
    Options

I opened it
    Thank you
    ES

The way I log depends on the type of food. For example Zucchini Sauteed In Olive Oil, 1 cup cooked , i looked up the carbs and calories in zucchini and olive oil , and based on the estimate I record my entries always bumping up by about 15% from what I think it really is ( look for estimated entry from someone else) . Even if I missed 10 cals on zucchini or lettuce , it will not not going to make a difference.

I have been using food scale for about 9 years now, so if I do weight my nuts, avocados, proteins, cheeses, and other higher calorie foods. So I do weight nut butter accurately Many years ago I decided to weight a 1/2 cup of ice cream on the scale and to my surprise I have learned that I can fit 1/2 cup of ice cream on a table spoon ( big scoop of course)

Unfortunately, even if I eat more then I think it is not more then 50 calories

I lost over 33 lbs here on MFP over the course of 6-7 months 7 years ago without following atkins or Keto diet
    Now I have eliminated carbs and nothing really happening , that is the reason I was asking people Keto diet here

What did you do that caused this success 7 years ago? Why are you looking for a different plan this time? Once you lose the weight you have to do a different plan to maintain the weight that you want to stay on.

and, now that you are back after 7 years , did you look at the sticky posts at the top of the forums that provide all kinds of starter helpful links? Your various comments suggest there are some areas where you would benefit with additional information as you try to make the right decisions for yourself.

Good luck

• moe0303
    moe0303 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    I’ll make sure to keep my menstral cycle in mind. I’ll avoid weighing myself during this time to avoid discouragement.

bcgirl1963 good luck on the Keto diet. It’s easier to follow than I thought it would be.

I think there are also some apps that use a rolling average to help lessen the effect of weight fluctuations. I forgot the name. I'm sure someone here will know what I'm talking about.
  • leiflung
    leiflung Posts: 83 Member
    Options

Okay, keto is notorious for causing hella water loss at first. Even that didn't happen with you. That's odd.

How are you feeling otherwise? Have you been to the doctor for a check up lately?

You count net carbs. You don't count fiber.
  • linochka1969
    Options
    leiflung wrote: »

Okay, keto is notorious for causing hella water loss at first. Even that didn't happen with you. That's odd.

How are you feeling otherwise? Have you been to the doctor for a check up lately?

You count net carbs. You don't count fiber.

Nope, no water loss I think. I stay under 1250 calories daily, I count net carbs ( ketosis stick stays from dark purple to medium 6 days a week) however I fluctuate between 155 and 158. I allow myself 2 drinks on Saturday of no carb drink ( dry martini ) and that is the only thing I allow myself outside of the diet . I went to the gym twice last week. I was 157.5 yesterday and I am 158 today. I am like clueless and extremely frustrated as I know I burn more calories then i eat
    I did make an appointment to see my physician in 2 weeks for a yearly physical and run some tests

In the past, I counted calories and exercised , I ate carbs in moderation, I did exercise rather often and more vigorous, but I also used increased calories intake accordingly not to starve my body .
    Now I would have understood, if I lost 7-10 lbs just keeping the diet and then plateaued without much exercise but I cannot loose basically nothing
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Those who actually make sure they are meeting their electrolyte needs do not lose noticeable water weight. It's mainly those who are not getting enough sodium who experience this
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    @chris02jaliyah I did not lose even one pound until day 45 then when on to lose 50 pounds without planning to do so over the first year and have maintained that lose for over three years now with my health markers all improving. Only rule I know is to not eat over 50 grams of carbs in one day. Best of success.
  • smcgrath45
    smcgrath45 Posts: 22 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    I tried Keto in December, tracking on MFP and found the 20 net carbs to be very challenging. I did lose some weight but the lifestyle was just not for me. I guess I need to eat fruit like bananas, apples and oranges which are not allowed. I did not feel well and stopped, I kept half the weight off. I'm trying a no-name diet now with 15% carbs, 55% fat and 30% protein. I am not sure if the fat protein ratio will make a difference. Like others said, it's calories. However - sugar, flour, etc spikes my insulin and makes me overeat. So I think that is how a low carb diet works. No one is going to eat a whole bag of avocados.
    BTW, I'm 46 and yes, it is very difficult to lose weight just by "being good" and clean eating.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    smcgrath45 wrote: »
    I tried Keto in December, tracking on MFP and found the 20 net carbs to be very challenging. I did lose some weight but the lifestyle was just not for me. I guess I need to eat fruit like bananas, apples and oranges which are not allowed. I did not feel well and stopped, I kept half the weight off. I'm trying a no-name diet now with 15% carbs, 55% fat and 30% protein. I am not sure if the fat protein ratio will make a difference. Like others said, it's calories. However - sugar, flour, etc spikes my insulin and makes me overeat. So I think that is how a low carb diet works. No one is going to eat a whole bag of avocados.
    BTW, I'm 46 and yes, it is very difficult to lose weight just by "being good" and clean eating.

Older and shorter, and all I can say is that being accurate and conscientiously compensating for any age-related slow down in daily activity go a long way towards making weight loss just as easy as it ever was.

Read the forum stickies in the general diet section for tips on how to log accurately. Once you have accurate logging down, weight loss becomes so much easier!

Honestly, when I first started, I thought, from past experience and difficulty losing weight, that I'd never get down to a reasonable weight. I picked a still overweight goal weight because it was the lowest I'd ever been as an adult and crossed my fingers and thought maybe.

I breezed through that goal, and kept lowering that goal weight. I kept lowering that goal weight and now weigh 15 pounds less than I did when I was in 8th grade, which was 43 years ago.
  • shaneozouf
    shaneozouf Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    You wanna see how much weight can fluctuate? Weigh yourself, then drink 24 Oz of water, then weigh yourself. You should weigh roughly 2 lbs more.

You need to consume less calories than you burn to lose weight, but weight isn't just "body fat", it's total weight.
  • leiflung
    leiflung Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    Those who actually make sure they are meeting their electrolyte needs do not lose noticeable water weight. It's mainly those who are not getting enough sodium who experience this

You don't think glycogen stores contribute to water retention?