Would you keep running - sciatic pain

I've just recently started running outdoors and very slowly building up mileage (I started out on the treadmill very carefully upping mileage there to) but my sciatic has flared up in the last week or so, worsened by the running I think. It never gets worse than about a 4/10 pain wise even when I'm running. I'm just not sure whether to carry on with my running or not? Would you?
I run/walk 5km 3 times a week at present and do pilates 2/3 times a week on my non run days.

Replies

• spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Look up piriformis stretches. They can help with sciatica pain.

I would continue to run, but my sciatica pain is usually caused by too much sitting, not too much exercise. I get lower back pain sometimes from yoga and shoveling snow and running has always helped that. YMMV
  • VioletRojo
    VioletRojo Posts: 596 Member
    When I was having sciatic pain the only time it didn't hurt was when I was running. So, for me, running was good. I did, however, still spend a lot of time stretching my piriformis until the pain went away.
  • meritage5
    meritage5 Posts: 32 Member
    When I get sore from my SI joint I go to a chiropractor. That gets everything back in alignment.
  • Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    ^ I also have issues with my SI joint causing pain similar to sciatica. I had to stop running because of it. I trying to strengthen surrounding muscle to be able to run again.

If your pain is worsened by running... IS the running worth the pain?
  • smcurtis1981
    smcurtis1981 Posts: 53 Member
    Fflpnari wrote: »
    ^ I also have issues with my SI joint causing pain similar to sciatica. I had to stop running because of it. I trying to strengthen surrounding muscle to be able to run again.

If your pain is worsened by running... IS the running worth the pain?

I love running, I'd be really unhappy if I couldn't anymore.
    I'm hoping the pilates will strengthen me enough that this issue will get better, I've only just incorporated it into my exercise in the last fortnight, my core is very weak.

I see a chiropractor regularly to, I'm going to ask that he does more work on my lower back at my next appointment.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    I have randomly had sciatic pain a couple of times (caused by my glute muscle being sore, caused by muscle imbalance caused by a weak core) and it was so bad I couldn't get off the floor (after lying down to do some stretches supposed to help with sciatic pain!!!) So I would not run!

You might want to try a physio as well?
  • Mrsindepenant1
    Mrsindepenant1 Posts: 196 Member
    Do you regularly get this pain? Is there a medical reason for it? I have ankylosing spondylitis and I get sciatic pain along with 100 other pains. It almost ruined my horse riding career. Physio was useless, I just focused on strengthening my body as a whole and done a lot of swimming and hot and cold therapy. Even just a hot bath can help or some deep heat.
  • smcurtis1981
    smcurtis1981 Posts: 53 Member
    Do you regularly get this pain? Is there a medical reason for it? I have ankylosing spondylitis and I get sciatic pain along with 100 other pains. It almost ruined my horse riding career. Physio was useless, I just focused on strengthening my body as a whole and done a lot of swimming and hot and cold therapy. Even just a hot bath can help or some deep heat.

It has been on and off for several years now. No other pains though. It has flared up several times due to a couple of riding accidents I've had as well! (one of my horses was nasty and used to drop it's shoulder, spin, unseat me and then buck - I had no chance!)

Pain medication helps. I'm going to have a couple of days off now and see how it feels. Might make an extra appointment with the chiro and go get a massage.
  • Mrsindepenant1
    Mrsindepenant1 Posts: 196 Member

It has been on and off for several years now. No other pains though. It has flared up several times due to a couple of riding accidents I've had as well! (one of my horses was nasty and used to drop it's shoulder, spin, unseat me and then buck - I had no chance!)

Pain medication helps. I'm going to have a couple of days off now and see how it feels. Might make an extra appointment with the chiro and go get a massage.

Do you find relief from seeing the chiro? Maybe look into visiting a rheumatologist and they can look into it more. Anti inflammatorys are the best to take down the inflammation however too many may burn your stomach out so tread carefully or take with antacids.
    Haha I don’t think anyone really has a chance of staying on when they do that all at once!
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    edited January 2019
    Why do recreational activity if it consistently causes acute pain? That's a recipe for misery or permanent injury. Remember that your body will find ways to work around the pain, which will compromise your form, put pressure on other parts of your body, and then most likely lead to a chain reaction of other injuries.

I'd try to figure out how to make it stop or find another activity. It's not like you're getting paid to do this.