Diet to gain muscle

Hello there !! I’m trying to gain some muscles, and I’m start this diet that consists on : morning only fruits . Lunch salads em veggies (no natural carbs ) and dinner one meat (fish our beef our chicken ) and one natural carbohydrate . The exercises I’m doing is after my house work at night. Any one could tel me if that would work ? Any snack after workout would be better ?
Thanks

Replies

• pogiguy05
    pogiguy05 Posts: 1,583 Member
    There is no real diet to gain muscle. You have to eat properly yes, but you will need to find a weight lifting program designed for building muscle. I am sure many other on here can give you better advice, but muscles are not made in the kitchen.
  • JessAndreia
    JessAndreia Posts: 540 Member
    edited January 2019
    Hard to say without knowing the quantities you're planning to eat of those foods. That doesn't seem like enough protein even for someone who doesn't workout, though, so probably want to add a protein source to your lunch too at least. And make sure you're eating enough. Most fruit and vegetables are low in calories so you would need to eat a large quantity of them.
  • Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member
    How many calories and how much protein are you getting per day?
  • Teabythesea_
    Teabythesea_ Posts: 559 Member
    Building muscle requires a calorie surplus, and what you're eating does not seem like a lot of calories. Additionally, there is very little protein which is essential when building muscle.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,023 Member
    edited January 2019
    blackm_mau wrote: »
    Hello there !! I’m trying to gain some muscles, and I’m start this diet that consists on : morning only fruits . Lunch salads em veggies (no natural carbs ) and dinner one meat (fish our beef our chicken ) and one natural carbohydrate . The exercises I’m doing is after my house work at night. Any one could tel me if that would work ? Any snack after workout would be better ?
    Thanks

Do you want to gain weight by building muscles, or do you want to maintain your current weight?

Set your MFP goal to either maintain your weight, or to gain 0.5lbs per week. Eat all the calories it gives you. Make sure you are hitting your protein goal. Follow a progressive strength training program. It doesn't matter specifically what foods you eat, but you need enough fuel (calories) for energy and muscle building.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,257 Member
    Well let's get specific and understand where you are now? What are you stats - height, weight, build, body fat %, age? Are you trying to show more muscle and increase definition or trying to grow muscle?

Protein is required to preserve muscle. Doesn't really matter where it comes from - a molecule is just a molecule.

You need a caloric surplus to build any tissue, carbohydrates specifically aid in muscle development and growth.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Building muscle requires three things: stimulation to the muscle fibers via strength training, enough calories (with an emphasis on constant protein) necessary to repair and build more muscle, and sleep to allow your body to recover and for protein to do its job.

Whether you eat at maintenance or a slight surplus is up to you, but unless you're a complete beginner who is overfat, it is extremely difficult to lose weight and gain muscle at the same time. Nevertheless, your diet must provide enough nutrient substrate to fuel your workouts, which is usually in the form of carbs to supplement protein (unless your keto for whatever reason).
  • blackm_mau
    blackm_mau Posts: 9 Member
    I started this diet before to loose weight, and know I wasn’t sure if would help to gain muscles. My work out for know consist I’m push ups and abs , I have to introduce more exercises. Not sure what time would be better for the protein and carbs (before our after work out ) and the food for the rest of the day ...
  • Teabythesea_
    Teabythesea_ Posts: 559 Member
    blackm_mau wrote: »
    I started this diet before to loose weight, and know I wasn’t sure if would help to gain muscles. My work out for know consist I’m push ups and abs , I have to introduce more exercises. Not sure what time would be better for the protein and carbs (before our after work out ) and the food for the rest of the day ...

A few things, the diet you were following to lose weight (requiring a defecit) is not going to be effective in helping you build muscle. You will need to adjust your diet so that you are eating either at maintenance or a surplus. You will also see much more progress by following a structured lifting program rather than a bunch of random exercises you throw together. Finally, it does not matter when you eat, just that you do. Meal timing is an insignificant factor.
  • fordneil
    fordneil Posts: 1 Member
    I was definitely naive when I thought I could just turn up at the gym a few nights a week, swing a couple of dumbells around and hey presto! Put on size. In a nutshell if your not a big eater you will have to ease yourself into a higher daily caloric intake. I could have my training nailed down to a t but if I'm not getting enough of the right calories (which is a answer of its own) I won't grow, simple. Work out what your maintenance is, use one of the calculations, 40%carb 30%protein 30%fat could be a good place to start. Add on maybe 300 calories, this number really depends on how you respond. Monitor your weight once a week if your not going up, Up the calories. When you start lifting you will notice newbie gains, but they won't last forever especially without the adequate nutrition.