Gym or workout at home

Options
jruch23
jruch23 Posts: 1,069 Member
What do you guys prefer? Do you regularly go to the gym or do you have equipment at home and workout there? And go!

Replies

• estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    Home. Or the great outdoors. (Walking is my preferred cardio.)
  • FitnTrimSteve
    FitnTrimSteve Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Home for bodyweight strength training. Hiking for cardio.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I do free weights at home or hike but I more often work out in the gym.
  • CaptainFantastic01
    CaptainFantastic01 Posts: 9,558 Member
    Options
    8uohxqq0p5l2.gif
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Home gym for me
  • Mrsindepenant1
    Mrsindepenant1 Posts: 196 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Outdoors, I don’t workout as such but have a very active lifestyle and I have a very physical outdoor job with horses. I try and go hunting or hiking or run along side my son as he bikes down the farm. I would never join a gym unless absolutely necessary for physio or if I really needed hands on help, just my preference. I also do a lot of at home workouts if I have time or want to push myself a little more, things I have learnt off a personal trainer. It’s so much nicer being outdoors or in my own home to work out and hiking and hunting is great for the soul and is a really good workout. I quiet often look for hidden gem places around my area to hike.
  • tirowow12385
    tirowow12385 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    I don't have equipment at home, but my workplace has a gym which is free for employees but they don't have a squat rack or barbell so I pay to go to the gym.
  • donalowen
    donalowen Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I've a basic home gym, the gyms near me shut at 10pm, with family commitments I'm only getting started at that time.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Gym! I'm a SAHM and I need out of the house for exercise. I don't like outdoors either.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,369 Member
    Options
    Home for lifting, outdoors for walking and hiking
  • Keep_on_cardio
    Keep_on_cardio Posts: 4,166 Member
    Options
    Home, easier for me to get up before my kids wake up. I do like taking classes at a gym, or yoga studio.
  • skinnyb1979
    skinnyb1979 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I like both but for different reasons, I like going to the gym because of the equipment obviously, and I feel more like I went out fo the way to do something for myself. But I like home because I can crank my own music as loud as I want and be comfortable.
  • hoosierlad
    hoosierlad Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I've done both but now no longer have all the equipment or space I once had for home workouts. Prefer gym today as its literally walking distance away (I drive LOL), and its a way to get out and be around different people. I am considering buying one of the "band" type pieces of equipment to have around when I need to work out but don't feel like going to gym. Lots of idle time to do some mini-workouts at home while watching tv.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Home or outside. I moved to a more rural area a few years back so I don't have a gym super close by anymore, my time is better spent just getting a workout in at home than commuting somewhere to workout.
  • _BlahBlah_BlackSheep_
    _BlahBlah_BlackSheep_ Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    Home gym for lifting and yoga. And I'm in a running group a few times a week.
  • Deadman_Diggingup
    Deadman_Diggingup Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    Home. Definitely home. I’ve tried the gym on many occasions and found myself to be so self-conscious that I would quit when anyone noticed me.

Over the last 6 months, the wife and I have been putting together a modest little basement gym, and I’m excited to use it every day.

99btvjk71hhp.jpeg
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Home. Definitely home. I’ve tried the gym on many occasions and found myself to be so self-conscious that I would quit when anyone noticed me.

Over the last 6 months, the wife and I have been putting together a modest little basement gym, and I’m excited to use it every day.

99btvjk71hhp.jpeg

#goals. One day I want to copy this!
  • 6raham
    6raham Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I workout at home, it means I can get up, have a coffee and workout all in my boxers, jump in the shower and go to work all before 8am
  • jruch23
    Options
    both- I have a bench, barbell for up to 120 pounds, and a bunch of dumbbells, pullup bar, and a treadmill. its good for those off/rest days when I just want to get a burn going. nothing intense.

gym is where I do all the heavy lifting. but if I ever get a squat rack for my home, I don't need the gym anymore

Yeah I have a gym membership but I haven't been in a while because my back has been bothering me (pinched nerve) intermittently so have been taking it easy. Plus my gym is about 25 min from my place. Lately I've just been working out at home. I also have a pull up bar, dumbbells, weight bench, and do a lot of aesthetic exercises and still get a good workout. On Saturdays I dont work I take my dog to the park and jog around the loop. Also starting last year been getting into mountain biking so getting pretty good cardio lately. Thinking about leaving the gym scene altogether....
  • jruch23
    Options
    Thanks for the replies so far! Trying to get an idea of what everyone does/prefers.