Bulletproof coffee

Options
Do any of you make your own bulletproof coffee? The kind that’s not commercially available and grossly overpriced? I have always been intrigued by it so I tried making my own with coffee, butter, and coconut oil, but I don’t think I did it right. What’s the correct process?

Replies

• neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Totally unknown up to a couple of years ago. I make myself a cuppa the way I like it without bullets or other fancy stuff.
  • lisaloumn2
    lisaloumn2 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I make my own- 1/2 tbsp butter and 1/2 tbsp coconut oil (I like it so whatever). I have a Keurig so I have it drip/pour into the immersion cup, blend (i think about 20 seconds) and then pour into my coffee mug. I am experimenting with adding collegan protein this week but then only using one or the other. So far butter is tasting better with it than the coconut oil.
  • Dansfightforlife
    Dansfightforlife Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I guess a more precise question is how are those of you who are making it getting the butter and coconut oil to turn from a solid to a liquid? Is the heat of the coffee enough? It really didn't taste any different to me, maybe a slight coconut taste. It certainly wasn't visually appealing but that has never stopped me from eating/drinking in the past.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    I guess a more precise question is how are those of you who are making it getting the butter and coconut oil to turn from a solid to a liquid? Is the heat of the coffee enough? It really didn't taste any different to me, maybe a slight coconut taste. It certainly wasn't visually appealing but that has never stopped me from eating/drinking in the past.

Did you blend it up? The people I know who enjoy bulletproof coffee are generally mixing it up in a blender to make it more like a froth, they're not just dropping butter and coconut oil into the coffee.

This. The people I know who still do this froth it up in a blender or use an immersion stick blender.
  • ogma6
    ogma6 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I make mine with a Nutribullet....as long as you add the coffee right away, its more than hot enough to ensure blending. I add a few teaspoons of unsweetened cacao powder.
  • Dansfightforlife
    Options
    The resources I came across did recommend blending it, but I did no oblige. Call me lazy, but that seems like a lot of extra work (mostly during clean up) considering the oil will quickly float to the top anyway. I also don't like the idea of waking up the rest of my household just so I can have a cup of coffee.
  • lin_be
    lin_be Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    Between this and the mushroom coffee, I will take the mushroom option each and every time.

Are the mushrooms magical? If so, I’m in.
  • Dansfightforlife
    Options
    I have never had mushroom coffee but it sounds unpleasant. Do you i guess.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I have never had mushroom coffee but it sounds unpleasant. Do you i guess.

I actually prefer it to coffee with oil in it, taste is pretty subjective.
  • gcminton
    gcminton Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I don't do coffee, but I do make a tea equivalent for breakfast sometimes. Your choice of fats makes a huge difference in flavor, as well as whatever your coffee is. I can't recommend anything on that front, but a tea with some kind of spice like cinnamon tends to go well with butter and coconut oil.

Blending is also pretty much required to get a good end result. It stays emulsified, so you're left with a richer creamy drink instead of your normal drink with a gnarly oil slick on top. If you aren't blending, I can appreciate why you'd think it was gross.
  • ejohndrow
    ejohndrow Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    Look up yak butter tea to see where bulletproof coffee idea came from/was modeled after. I'll drink butter coffee maybe once or twice a month, as is mentioned before you need to blend it. Blending it creates a creamy, frothy smooth flavor. Unsalted butter is recommended and I don't personally use coconut oil or anything else with it.
  • gilliancurd
    gilliancurd Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi, I've been making and drinking my own for months now - the trick is to blend the ingredients, I use a small battery operated whisk (designed to fit in a mug) delicious.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    Does your coffee wear body armor?
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    psychod787 wrote: »

As long as nobody makes the mistake of thinking it makes them bulletproof.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »
    psychod787 wrote: »

As long as nobody makes the mistake of thinking it makes them bulletproof.

I wouldn't put it past the David Asprey disciples...I'm still convinced it was a bro bet between him and Tim Ferriss about if he could get people to not only swill the stuff but buy his overpriced products to do it.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    My concern with BPC is the calories. It can be upward of 500 kcal which could be a third of your calories for a day with very little nutritional value. I like BPC but I make my own version with few calories.

My daily coffee is usually some whipped cream and a bit of protein powder, but sometimes I use 1/2 tsp of butter or coconut oil. A quick whisking adds a froth, or I use a travel mug which I give a quick shake to froth it. If you stir with a spoon, the oils will eat separated and on the top.

But if you dont have the calories to spare, black coffee or just some cream (if aiming for low carb or keto) will be fine.