Ranch Dressing anyone?

Replies

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,961 Member
    lin_be wrote: »
    American here who *kitten* hates ranch. (My husband is from Indiana and prefers cheese sauce as a dip. Also gross.) I don’t think it’s regional either because I’ve lived on the West coast and the Midwest and most people like ranch. It’s a bit tart but very creamy and fatty. I prefer bleu cheese or marinara or nothing at all.

Another American who hates ranch -- at least in its current guise as a dip for everything. (Ranch on pizza? So yuck.) I liked it as a salad dressing as a kid, but we made it from scratch with actual buttermilk (or at least fresh milk and vinegar), and in my memory it tasted a lot better. Again, just for salad. And even there, we didn't drown the salad in ranch.
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,157 Member
    I'm a fan of ranch, but I also like just about any salad dressing/dip that doesn't have mustard in it. Then again, I'm one of those heathens that has never acquired a taste for vegetables without some kind of sauce or dip or flavoring added... I only dip bad pizza in ranch dressing though!
  • lin_be
    lin_be Posts: 393 Member
    COGypsy wrote: »
    I'm a fan of ranch, but I also like just about any salad dressing/dip that doesn't have mustard in it. Then again, I'm one of those heathens that has never acquired a taste for vegetables without some kind of sauce or dip or flavoring added... I only dip bad pizza in ranch dressing though!

Heathen #2! Lol
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    For anyone who doesn't have access to it in the store, and is wondering what this vile abomination is that everyone is pretending to hate, below is a Bon Appetit recipe, similar to how I have made it when I have had a surfeit of creme fraiche. I recommend adding herbs as well--I like parsley, chives, and thyme.

Two giant spoonfuls of rich, tangy, full-fat dairy of some kind (yogurt, sour cream, creme fraiche, and labneh all work), followed by one giant spoonful of mayo, followed by a grated clove of garlic, a big pinch of kosher salt, five or six hearty turns of freshly cracked black pepper and a good squeeze of fresh lemon juice. Slowly whisk in buttermilk (kefir works too) until the whole mixture has the texture of, well, ranch dressing. And there you have it: The most basic, and delicious, homemade ranch dressing imaginable.

You can also make your own creme fraiche, which is insanely good:

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/222387/chef-johns-creme-fraiche/

For that matter, you can also make your own mayonnaise, although I have never done this.

https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/homemade-mayonnaise

I very happily eat jarred ranch as well; but I prefer Marzetti's Cracked Peppercorn Ranch. There is a lot of bad ranch out there.
  • FL_Hiker
    FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member
    I'm American and love ranch, I actually won't eat any other kind of salad dressing. Everything goes great with ranch ;) !
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited January 2019
    For that matter, you can also make your own mayonnaise, although I have never done this.

I've done it. It's the only way I like mayo (well, and as aioli), so me and mayo is obviously a mental thing, but it looks disgusting in a jar to me.

I don't hate ranch, I just think vinaigrette is better and for creamy if you must, bleu cheese. (And ranch on pizza sounds revolting and weird.)
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    I'm a ranchaholic and don't care! I love it <3
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    Conversely, I think blue cheese is gross and smells disgusting. Different strokes and all that. Gotta love American generalizations. 🙄
  • mgookin
    mgookin Posts: 92 Member
    I'm from the US. I dont like ranch. I have it rare once in awhile with some fries if I am eat out. I am however a Thousand island dressing junkie.
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »

I've done it. It's the only way I like mayo (well, and as aioli), so me and mayo is obviously a mental thing, but it looks disgusting in a jar to me.

I don't hate ranch, I just think vinaigrette is better and for creamy if you must, bleu cheese. (And ranch on pizza sounds revolting and weird.)

Yeah, to me pizza has all the herbs, salty milk product, and herbs that it needs. Don't mess with a classic, man!

I like ranch on raw veggies (vinaigrette on cooked veg), or on a really boring salad when a great vinaigrette option isn't available, and I ESPECIALLY like it on "Hobo Potatoes" of the sort that you might find at a fair. A baked potato loaded up with chicken, sauteed veggies, lashings of ranch, and Frank's hot sauce. SO GOOD. Hmmm...might have to make that this weekend since I'm planning on being snowed in with that 18" we've been promised.
  • suziecue25
    suziecue25 Posts: 289 Member
    edited January 2019

Yeah, to me pizza has all the herbs, salty milk product, and herbs that it needs. Don't mess with a classic, man!

I like ranch on raw veggies (vinaigrette on cooked veg), or on a really boring salad when a great vinaigrette option isn't available, and I ESPECIALLY like it on "Hobo Potatoes" of the sort that you might find at a fair. A baked potato loaded up with chicken, sauteed veggies, lashings of ranch, and Frank's hot sauce. SO GOOD. Hmmm...might have to make that this weekend since I'm planning on being snowed in with that 18" we've been promised.

Glad I started this thread.......enjoy your loaded spud and stay safe in all that snow French_Peasant and what are "Hobo Potatoes" please.
  • lemurcat2
    edited January 2019

We've got so many conflicting reports about snow that I have no idea what to expect. I'm supposed to take my cat to the vet tomorrow at 8:30, when it will have snowed all night and still be snowing, so I called the vet to see if I could cancel and she said it was fine to just cancel tomorrow morning if it's bad. We both agreed that the projections are anything from 3" to 20", although right now it's looking like it will be snowing steadily through the night, so likely not 3.

I'm not a wimp about snow but if it's fresh and deep could be a challenge in my alley.

Sorry, guess this has nothing to do with ranch! ;-)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,889 Member
    suziecue25 wrote: »
    Why is Ranch Dressing used so much in the USA? All I ever see mentioned on here is Ranch......

Interesting, I'd not noticed it mentioned much. It's popular, but hardly overwhelmingly so. I don't like it (not that I dislike it, I rarely think about it, since I really like vinaigrettes). I liked ranch as a kid (but even then preferred "Italian" if gve a choice, and that's basically a type of vinaigrette). Re ranch, my mother would mix it up from a package. (Ranch on pizza is something I have managed to avoid even knowing was a thing pre MFP.)

Chicken Bacon Ranch Pizza = YUM!

chicken-bacon-ranch-pizza-small-1.jpg
  • suziecue25

We've got so many conflicting reports about snow that I have no idea what to expect. I'm supposed to take my cat to the vet tomorrow at 8:30, when it will have snowed all night and still be snowing, so I called the vet to see if I could cancel and she said it was fine to just cancel tomorrow morning if it's bad. We both agreed that the projections are anything from 3" to 20", although right now it's looking like it will be snowing steadily through the night, so likely not 3.

I'm not a wimp about snow but if it's fresh and deep could be a challenge in my alley.

No probs.........hope snow doesn't cause too much disruption and your cat isn't seriously ill :)
  • DomesticKat
    DomesticKat Posts: 565 Member
    Also an American who doesn't like Ranch. I think it's a regional/cultural thing to eat it frequently with veggies or salad (or other stuff like pizza). I like lemon poppyseed or regular poppyseed, or vinaigrette dressings.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,889 Member
    I make this in the summer when I have all the herbs in the garden. Other than that, I use Newman's.

Joy of Cooking Ranch Dressing

Combine in a blender or food processor until smooth:
    * 1 clove garlic
    * 2 - 3 pinches of salt

Remove to a bowl. Add and whisk until well blended:
    * 3/4 c buttermilk (or plain yogurt thinned with water to buttermilk consistency)
    * 2 - 3 T fresh lime juice
    * 1 T minced cilantro or parsley
    * 1 T snipped chives
    * salt and pepper to taste

(I skip the "remove to a bowl" step and do it all in the food processor.)
  • suziecue25
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I make this in the summer when I have all the herbs in the garden. Other than that, I use Newman's.

* 1 clove garlic
    * 2 - 3 pinches of salt

* 3/4 c buttermilk (or plain yogurt thinned with water to buttermilk consistency)
    * 1 T snipped chives

Hmmm....great ingredients, I will definitely try that......cheers kshama2001 :)
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,961 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »

* 1 clove garlic
    * 2 - 3 pinches of salt

* 1 T snipped chives

Thanks for this. I was confused by the recipe upthread that included mayo, as I don't recall using mayo making ranch dressing from scratch as a kid -- this sounds much more like what I remember. We used buttermilk. I doubt anyone in our house had ever tasted yogurt yet in those days.

If the bottled ranch today includes mayo, that probably explains why I dislike it so much, as there are only a small handful of foods where I can stand a small amount of mayo (tuna or chicken salad; a chicken or turkey sandwich, although if I have lettuce and tomato or cranberry sauce, I'll skip the mayo; potato salad, macaroni salad, or coleslaw, but I generally prefer bacon fat in my potato salad, and a vinaigrette on my slaw).
  • lemurcat2
    suziecue25 wrote: »

No probs.........hope snow doesn't cause too much disruption and your cat isn't seriously ill :)

Cat's not ill at all, just a check up/shot appointment.
  • jryepin93
    jryepin93 Posts: 73 Member
    Okay, I'll say it. I'm from the Midwest and I love ranch. Before I was watching my calorie intake, it was a classic drunk food for me. Chicken tenders and ranch. Fries and ranch. Veggies and ranch. Ranch on salad. I still make room for it in my diet on a weekly basis. Also, no ranch substitutes. It has to be the real thing!