Poor Immune System & Working Out

Options
Whenever I start a fitness routine, within a few days I inevitably get sick. Head cold, fever, chest cough, wheezing, and then even when I kick the fever I am still coughing/wheezing and have cold symptoms for weeks to months. I suspect that I have some sort of autoimmune situation, but I've never had it officially checked out. (I've been like this since I had my son 9 years ago).

Can anyone relate to this? Any tips to stay motivated and focused while sick? It's incredibly frustrating, and leads to constant, serial starting/stopping.

Replies

• Teabythesea_
    Teabythesea_ Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Whenever I start a fitness routine, within a few days I inevitably get sick. Head cold, fever, chest cough, wheezing, and then even when I kick the fever I am still coughing/wheezing and have cold symptoms for weeks to months. I suspect that I have some sort of autoimmune situation, but I've never had it officially checked out. (I've been like this since I had my son 9 years ago).

Can anyone relate to this? Any tips to stay motivated and focused while sick? It's incredibly frustrating, and leads to constant, serial starting/stopping.

Are you staying hydrated? A lot of people when they begin exercising don't up their water intake along with it and dehydration can result in flu like symptoms. Additionally theres always the possibility of whatever gym you're going to (if you are) simply not being clean. I always make sure to wipe off equipment before and after use and shower as soon as possible. I would still get checked out as an autoimmune disorder isn't something I'd want to suspect without a professional opinion.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
    Actually, working out can boost your immune system. Only if you try to do too much too fast or workout too hard and overtrain (something that I've been guilty of) should your immune system be compromised. It's about finding a good balance.

Start off with it slowly and very, very gradually work up. I dreaded working out 10 years ago. I mean really dreaded it. Now, if I don't workout an hour a day, I'm miserable. But that happened with such small increments over years. It does add up quickly but the rule of thumb is if you're dreading it (or adding more than 10% a week), you might be overdoing. Start with movement, any movement, and build from there.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Working out and your immune system have a complex interaction. The most recent study I read found that exercise boosts the immune system, but strenuous exercise for longer than an hour temporarily depresses it and makes you more likely to get sick for about two days. I'm guessing that is an effect which passes with regular exercise, but this is something that hasn't been studied much! What's more important in this case is your experience.

Doesn't really sound like my experience of autoimmune issues - I have lupus and while I sometimes get flares in response to exercise, it doesn't usually come with typical sickness symptoms such as you're describing. It sounds more like you are just plain getting sick. Still, see a doctor and ask. Maybe you have a low key bacterial infection which keeps coming back whenever you are stressed.

In the meantime 1) yes, stay hydrated 2) Make sure you are fueling your workouts. Have something small and carby like a piece of fruit before, and something with mixed protein and carbs after, such as a glass of milk, or yogurt with berries. Doesn't have to be much! 3) do a little, then a little more. Maybe fifteen minutes three times a week, then more if that goes well. 4) you can keep working out if your illness is above the neck, such as a stopped up nose, below the neck such as fever or chest cough, take a break and recover.

• megemrj
    megemrj Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    My suggestion 1st is to get diagnosed. For your piece of mind and overall health. Knowing what you're living with can make a world of difference.

I have an autoimmune condition that gets aggravated during and after my workouts pretty often. It causes my hands, feet, and joints to burn & swell. My tattoo lines become raised and more pronounced. I've been working out consistently for years (6+) & still this happens. Doesn't matter whether I do cardio or lifting. I have been diagnosed, know my triggers (certain foods, stress, temperatures, etc), and how to lessen the inflammation.