major difference in Sodium on desktop vs phone

Options
Help...I ate 1 package of Quaker Apple & Cinnamon instant oatmeal today...desk top says it has 160 mg of Sodium...but my phone says it has 1426 mg..under the nutrients...am I doing something wrong? Thanks, for any advice

Replies

• CTcutie
    CTcutie Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of incorrect entries in the database.
    I try to use the scan function on my phone whenever possible for items with a barcode.

That being said, if sodium is important for your health maintenance, then you will need to be careful when selecting the correct item. Google gave this info... Just look for the entry in the database that matches.

Nutrition Facts
    Quaker Apples and Cinnamon Instant Oatmeal Cereals

Amount Per 1 packet (35 g)
    Calories 128
    % Daily Value*
    Total Fat 1.7 g 2%
    Saturated fat 0.3 g 1%
    Polyunsaturated fat 0.5 g
    Monounsaturated fat 0.6 g
    Trans fat 0 g
    Cholesterol 0 mg 0%
    Sodium 159 mg 6%
    Potassium 117 mg 3%
    Total Carbohydrate 27 g 9%
    Dietary fiber 2.9 g 11%
    Sugar 9 g
    Protein 3.1 g 6%

Nutrition Facts
    Oatmeal

Amount Per 1 cup, cooked (234 g)
    Calories 158
    % Daily Value*
    Total Fat 3.2 g 4%
    Saturated fat 0.5 g 2%
    Polyunsaturated fat 1 g
    Monounsaturated fat 0.9 g
    Trans fat 0 g
    Cholesterol 0 mg 0%
    Sodium 115 mg 4%
    Potassium 143 mg 4%
    Total Carbohydrate 27 g 9%
    Dietary fiber 4 g 16%
    Sugar 1.1 g
    Protein 6 g 12%
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    You're just looking at different database entries...you need to compare the entry to the package and select the correct one. Database entries are crowd sourced and there are a lot of errors.
  • janstewart62
    janstewart62 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    ok...Thank You....I have never had an error of this magnitude so it threw me
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    The entries are mosty made by other users. You can have dozens of entries for the same item and they can all have different information. So before you log it, compare the numbers to your package.

If it is too good to be true, it ain't.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    CTcutie wrote: »
    There are a lot of incorrect entries in the database.
    I try to use the scan function on my phone whenever possible for items with a barcode.

There's nothing magical about using the scan function. The data you link to is also user-entered -- just as prone to error as the entries you get when you type in the name of the item.
  • janstewart62
    janstewart62 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I am trying to watch the sodium and that was the first thing I typed in and it almost made me have a heart attack...I just looked at the box of oatmeal and it does say 160 mgs...so that makes me feel a lot better..Thanks again