Apple Watch Fitness and Calories

I have a question about exercise calories and the Apple Watch. Today, according to my watch, I burned 197 calories in a high-intensity interval training (40 minutes) and another 163 on the elliptical (30 minutes). For both of them, I was really pushing and kept my heart rate up around 140-150. My trainer said those numbers are way too low, it should have recorded more calories burned. When I log the exercises, they come in at a higher calorie rate, and I adjust down to what my watch says. I'm ok with it, to a point, because I'm finally losing again after a 6 month gain and then a plateau for a month. But I'd like to get a more accurate count. Should I just be going by what MFP says those workouts are worth, as I have entered my stats and I suspect it is calculating based on that? I don't want to overestimate calories burned, but then again, I don't want to short change myself either!

Replies

• MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    You just have to pick one and go with it for a while and see what happens. FWIW I think the MFP numbers are crazy inflated, but according to a recent study (https://www.mdpi.com/2075-4426/7/2/3/htm) the AW calories may also be off by up to 40% in excess of reality.

I have been using the AW for 3 years now I think, and using the calories it calculates to lose 40lbs and now for 18 months to eat at maintenance and it is fairly accurate for me, possible a hair on the high side. I max out at about 180 cals for 30 mins on the elliptical also. Anecdotally I am saying trust the AW numbers, but like I said you'll just have to pick one, use the figures for a while and see if it bears out in your results.

Make sure your age/height/weight are set correctly in Health.
  • AZTeri2016
    AZTeri2016 Posts: 77 Member
    I did go and adjust my weight so I’ll see tomorrow if that changes anything. Thank you.