sodium

Hello friends...Im doing ok on my journal and learning to level out the overages and under totals but I just don't understand the sodium intake...Usually ppl eat too much sodium and most foods have an enormous amount, however, I do not eat a lot of "processed" foods. Do we really need that much sodium in our diets? And I use a salt shaker on very little food but do use it when I cook. Am i suppose to add the salt intakes on their own? Really confused...On a higher note, this seems to be taking forever to lose a pound or two but at least I am progressing...slowly but surely...I hope and pray I don't hit that 10 pound plateau like i usually do since the pace is slower... but could someone enlighten me on the sodium prob? Have a nice day!

Replies

• dawn_h_d
    dawn_h_d Posts: 184 Member
    Wish I coud give you some advice on this, but I have an opposite problem. Per the doctor, I have to have my sodium as high as I can possibly get it due to low blood pressure and dehydration problems.

If you have only been doing this since July - and if that is the beginning of July - you should be right on track 1-2 lbs per week :)
  • seliinac
    seliinac Posts: 336 Member
    I believe the sodium amount in your food diary is a limit, not a goal.
  • kjg1965297
    kjg1965297 Posts: 121
    I am a chef and I started not adding salt while cooking. I now find I use salt very little except for a couple of items. Any canned or processed food is loaded with sodium as it is a flavour enhancer so I try to stay away if I can. Fruit has no sodium and same with most veggies. I am not an expert but most weight fluctuations is due to sodium intake and not fat gain. Saying all that my sodium intake is usually at the recommended level of slightly higher. My one thing I know that helps is water. Lots of water. Add me if you wish.:smile:
  • mojohowitz
    mojohowitz Posts: 900 Member
    I am no expert but I suspect if you are not weak, confused, angry or nauseous then you are probably ok. But, we have no idea what your actual sodium intake is. If you have any problems eat a single Papa John's chicken wing and your sodium should be okay for about 18 months.
  • joshdann
    joshdann Posts: 618 Member
    in many cases, such as the one shugmn mentioned, your body does need more sodium than you might be taking in. it's important to have a proper electrolyte balance. For most people, 2g per day on an average 64oz per day of water consumption will keep them in balance, at least as far as sodium goes. If you're unsure, and especially if you have lower than normal blood pressure, it doesn't cost too much to have your doctor do some blood work.
  • mrmagee3
    mrmagee3 Posts: 518 Member
    Make sure you intake at least a decent amount of sodium (2000 mg/day seems about right). Don't worry about going too high on it.
  • Thanks...but at the end of the day at the notes on the bottom it always says I did not have enough sodium...???
  • Not worried with going too high...worried and confused not getting enough? lol
  • LOL....
  • seliinac
    seliinac Posts: 336 Member
    I'm almost always under the level. As I said, it's a limit, not a goal. If you are really concerned, ask your doctor to check your levels.

Read this: How much Sodium is Required?

The Adequate Intake (AI) for sodium is 1,500 milligrams daily for males and females ages 9-50. This value is less than 1 teaspoon of table salt per day. The maximum recommended level of sodium intake is 2,300 milligrams daily. On average, more than 85% of American men and women consume sodium in amounts that far exceed the maximum recommended level of intake.

Sodium Deficiency

Sodium deficiency is extremely rare, as most Americans over-consume sodium. Deficiency usually only occurs with prolonged bouts of fluid loss due to diarrhea, vomiting, or perspiration. Those who have kidney problems may also be more likely to develop a sodium deficiency. Symptoms of deficiency include nausea, dizziness, and muscle cramps.

Special Considerations:

For athletes and those strenuously active for more than 1 hour in duration—Those exposed to conditions promoting sweat loss for extended periods may be at risk for low blood sodium levels, or hyponatremia. For those who are well hydrated and active for more than four hours, it is important to replenish sodium stores in the body. Usually, sodium losses can be easily replaced during the next meal. However, in endurance exercise longer than 4 hours, sodium stores should be replaced during exercise with food or sports drink. For more information on nutrition and exercise, see fact sheet Nutrition for the Athlete.

http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/foodnut/09354.html