Looking for Insight on loose skin

Options
Was wondering about people’s experiences with loose skin and how much ( if at all ) it tightened up over time after hitting maintenance.

I lost 40lbs in 5-6 months and have lost about 7lbs more over the past 6 months and have had my stomach tighten up quite a bit but still a ways to go. I know it will never be perfect as I have had two very large children and lots of stretch marks but was wondering if anyone else had skin still still tightening over time or if you think I’ve pretty much hit the end of the road.

I’ll never regret loosing the weight as I feel healthy and fantastic and cloths fit amazing now but am still working on the loving my imperfections part of this journey (or at least coming to terms with what my body is capable of).

Replies

• twdlove89
    twdlove89 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I went from nearly 16stone down to 9stone and after having a kid aswell I’ve got a lot of loose skin 🤣 I just keep doing my exercises (elliptical trainer and treadmill) and drink plenty of water, I’ve only been in maintenance since about August so I know it will take agessss to start tightening up but I think patience is the best thing.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    Lift hard and heavy...
  • smithbls163
    smithbls163 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I lost 110lbs in a little under a year and the loose skin is a real problem for me too. Definitely don't regret losing the weight, but I'm really looking forward to when things start tightening up.
  • DamnImASexyBitch
    DamnImASexyBitch Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    I think without surgery, it really only tightens up a little bit. I lost 75lbs about 2 years ago, and have maintained that loss for about 2 years. I have some areas I’ve been able to build more muscle, so it’s less flabby, but other areas I’m still trying to decide if it’s worth it for plastic surgery.
  • simpsonsfantoo
    simpsonsfantoo Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I think without surgery, it really only tightens up a little bit. I lost 75lbs about 2 years ago, and have maintained that loss for about 2 years. I have some areas I’ve been able to build more muscle, so it’s less flabby, but other areas I’m still trying to decide if it’s worth it for plastic surgery.

Much depends on age, genetics, and amount of time a person was overweight.
  • TinaKay51
    TinaKay51 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I am maintaining a 100 pound weight loss for 20 plus years and found that while time does improve things, I have had to help things along by hitting the weights. Building muscle is a good way to tighten up loose skin. Also, something to look forward to is as one gets older (I am 51) everyone has some loose skin. So, it all evens up in the end. :-)
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options

Much depends on age, genetics, and amount of time a person was overweight.

it also depends on the elasticity in ones skin and how fast they lost the weight. and if they gained quickly or not as well. stretching out the skin quickly can end up with skin that wont bounce back.if after a few years it doesnt bounce back then I would say the chance if it happening are slim to none.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    Larkspur94 wrote: »
    You can try intermediate fasting to fasting 2/3 days each week. If IF make sure you still get your maintenance calories for the day. If a couple days a week, add the missed days calories to your feeding days to even out.
    You can look into it, but the basic premise is that after a certain number of hours in fast, approx. 14-16, your body begins eating weaker, less important cells. This includes fat cells and excess skin cells. It's more beneficial to stay in this state as long as you can (2/3 days), than in IF with just a few hours doing 18/6 or 20/4. I'd say doing the weekly one would be easier as well to get enough calories within the feed window.
    Up to you if you want to try it. Results won't be instant of course, but it would be faster than not doing it at all.
    There are plenty who fast on this site, if you want to ask for advice in the matter.

IF is NOT going to make any difference in saggy/loose skin. can I ask you where you got the above info? if you mean this link,then you misunderstood their concept and it has nothing to do with saggy/loose skin https://news.usc.edu/63669/fasting-triggers-stem-cell-regeneration-of-damaged-old-immune-system/

not to mention what I posted above is an article and not scientific proof
  • vixtris
    vixtris Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I lost about 130 from my highest weight about 3 years ago. I still have loose skin in my upper arms, lower belly and thighs. I did have loose skin on my back and neck. My neck tightened up completely, my back has a tad, but its not really noticeable. I think the worst area for me is my lower stomach which no one will ever see because even a low rise waist band would hide it. My arms bother me a bit but if I just gained some arm muscle it probably wouldn't look that bad.

It does take time, can be years, to tighten, but it will never completely go away without surgery. I have thought about it - I mean, if money were no object, but still, and I don't think I'd want to endure that painful procedure...
  • Lora2380
    Lora2380 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the responses! It is really encouraging to here that there is still time. I’m a patient person as the road this far has been anything but quick, I’ve wanted to loose this weight for 13 yrs, waiting another year or two to see how it improves is fine by me. I’ve recently started weight training and am enjoying it emencly.

I’ve never expected to look “normal” but a little less droopy would be fantastic. I’ve embraced the stretch marks so perhaps with time I’ll also come to terms with the skin if it doesn’t tighten to where I want.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,070 Member
    Options
    Mine kept shrinking well into year 2 of maintenance, after losing 50ish pounds at age 59-60.

One thing: True loose skin is thin wrinkles, like wrinkles in fabric. Things that are like 1/2"+ wrinkles or rolls still have some subcutaneous fat that conspires with gravity to keep the skin stretched. It's the thin stuff, IME, that shrinks pretty well.

Recomposition (maintaining weight, gaining muscle) can help with that remaining subcutaneous fat, as can more weight loss (if that's healthy at one's current weight). Surgery is also an option, and I've seen several folks here who had surgery report that what was removed was some fat as well as just skin.
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    Most of my stretched skin is due to 3 pregnancies within 5 years. My total weight loss was only 35lbs, and I've only been in maintenance since September.

I told myself I'd wait 1-2 years, and the consensus on this thread seems to say 2 years. I can say in a few months it's already better, but I will probably still buy high waisted swimsuit bottoms for a while.

I can understand it may be more distressing if it's more of your body though. I think the secret is maintaining and genetics. I also lift heavy.